• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Scam?

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Guy on a boat? Like an aircraft carrier boat, or a fishing boat in a lake? Never deal with escrow sale, scams. Be cautious of wife showing up, might bring 4 big dudes... Or just notice the truck is gone next day... Meet at local grocery store for view, bring backup. Hint hint.

My foray into broncos started 15 years ago with an ebay win for a bronco which never existed. Did not lose a penny luckily.

NC-Fordguy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bethel/Greenville NC
While I have never sold a bronco I have bought several over the last 20 some years.

As a buyer I always insist the transaction is done in certified funds. Since I have accounts with several different banks it's easy to find a branch that is local to the seller. The seller can cash the check as the bank can verify the funds and give the seller their money, and anything needing a Notary can be done. One stop transaction in public.

OP
OP
F

fordtruck

Loc.
hardy
Thanks for the input. Gut telling me it's not right. 25g is a lot of dough,and I'm in no hurry to sell. Thanks team

Muddy1966Bronco

Loc.
Central PA
25g is a lot to ask for a cash sale. I’d have to have statements with my bank for any withdrawal or deposit over 10k. They want to know where the funds are going and I would never carry that kind of money around. Asset Forfeiture is a thing.

That being said, you’ve got a ton of great advice here. A bank wire. A check or transaction from same bank to same bank so funds are verified. And PayPal. Though a word of caution with PayPal. If you specify it was a transaction for goods, then they have the right to dispute your transaction and get a refund and the Bronco. Not likely, but can happen. Make sure the transaction is specified as a gift and they have no legal right to get it back.

I used the PayPal gift option when a buyer showed up on Sunday to buy a vehicle for $7k. He drove from NC to PA and everything reeked scam because he didn’t bring cash either, but he agreed to pay it through PayPal as a gift. Turns out he was a great guy, we are FB friends and I still get photos of my Firebird all fixed up.

Above all, you go with the option you feel safe with. Good luck selling!

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I like to do my transactions at the autoclub. Everything gets documented and transferred into or out of my name right then and there. If paperwork needs to be notarized then they can do that too.

Tugross302

I like cash. But I guess nowadays you need a counterfeit pen to mark the cash with. Last bronco I bought went thru a broker that the seller hired and he only accepted a bank to bank wire transfer. Scared me to death for a couple days after I transferred the money because it took three days to get a title and the broker suddenly got busy and quit answering my texts. It ended well though

Mcl

Another recommendation for Tom. Great guy who helped me with my bronco transaction.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Police stations in many places allow Craigslist sellers to meet and do transactions in their parking lots. If it is a cash deal, the buyer may be nervous about carrying cash and should be happy to meet you there. A scammer is going to feel differently about it.....

good option, and if they aren't down for a PS parking lot, well something's up