• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Has the bronco well dried up?

OP
OP
ep67bro

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
That is totally worth it. If it was in the Northeast it would be worth $13,000!! Crazy but true!

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
Not completely dried up but lots of people looking, dealers building inventory and builders stashing them away for future projects. I used to find a new "good deal" every few days, then few weeks, then few months, I guess it will be count by years if it keeps going.

Best thing to do with the craigslist crazy ones is to hit the prohibited button, then they get flagged and pulled down.

pipeline010

a note about shops doing the work for you...

in my research thus far I've found a single shop in my area with full portfolio of straight up amazing metal work...original fabrications and welding...this one old man working by himself literally turning dust to showstoppers.....

I sent him a message, just asking about a somewhat small repair that would still be a little beyond me or the average body shop.....the waiting list? 2 years. and not taking on new work.

I'd say not just the EB well drying up but the skilled craftsmen drying up as well. I'm about ready to quit my job and take up an apprenticeship with the guy.

This means soon we'll see two types of buyers...those that have the skills to restore rustbuckets and basketcases and those with trust funds who can pay stoopid money to have shops do it all for them (Joe Rogan, Lady Gaga to name a couple).

Middle of the road Broncos are gonna be hard to find for a while.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
and there's always the one that Got Away :(

I was just remarking to my Wife that it is too bad that we never keep a tab on how much money I have saved us by doing my own work/maintenance/remodeling on our vehicles and Home. (This started after me spending a few hours under the kitchen sink blowing out a blockage and fixing a leak) The sad thing is my two Boys have taken little interest in the repair work I do, or working on cars... And by the time they might need these skills, I might be too old to help them.

Regarding Bronco prices... I bought a 67 to fix up for $12k, and I was chewing nails about the price considering what I have paid for Broncos in the past. I had to look at the whole picture to make it work in my head. Yes it needed floor pans, rewired, and general PO clean up... But it was a solid rig, with D44/power disc brakes already done. NV3550 conversion with a rebuilt T-case and, rear end. And a host of other aftermarket odds and ends that add up in cost. But the buy price still had me thinking I paid too much.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
LOOKED at this locally.....5500. A lot of metal comes with it....but it needs a lot too! would be just another project waiting in line!

yeah, that one about sums it up.. lol

West Tn Dawg

BULLDOG
Loc.
Kenton
I think all the Bronco Resto Shops that have popped up in the last 10 years is what is driving the prices out of reach for the regular guy. I know for a fact that one of the shops has a guy that spends at least 6 hrs a day combing the country for Bronco's. They have links to most of the local classifieds, not just ebay or Craigslist. When one does show up, they snatch them up before anyone else even see's the add. When the average working guy gets home from work and gets on the computer looking, it's too late, and many times there is already a trailer on the way to pick it up. Any that may have popped up during the day been gone.

Not saying anything wrong with what they are doing, just my opinion of what is the major contributor for the skyrocketing prices.

Last edited:

bbolander

Don't you think that it's also because Bronco Owners know what they've got now and aren't selling them?

matts460

I have thought about selling my Bronco just to get ahead and out of some debt and then revisit another Bronco/project down the road, but now im afraid to sell because I could never afford to buy what I had. If I have saved 20-40k in the bank, I don't think I could just blow all that knowing what I had built for sooo much less. If a new 2020 Bronco actually does turn out badass I still couldn't blow that coin because new cars lose value so badly. dam im getting old.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I think I must have found the missing Broncos.
Up here in the Northwest, you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a really nice Bronco.
There are way more here than I ever remember in SOCAL.

brianz426

I mean this is sad from the Thomas fire, but really?
https://ventura.craigslist.org/cto/d/1971-ford-bronco-sport/6484974975.html

I was offered $10k more than what i paid for mine a couple years ago within a couple months from getting it and had it in the shop at the time.

^This is the exact same thing that happened to me. My Bronco was at a friends shop for a week waiting for front end parts and alignment. Same guy came in every day upping his offer until he had doubled what I paid. Thankfully my wife & kids staged a 4 against 1 protest against me. It will never leave our family. 🙂