• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Friends & Family payment method

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
I don't understand why some members selling parts on here insist on buyers paying Friends & Family, meaning not only does the buyer have to pay the 3% fee, they are not protected if they get screwed. Especially when the seller gets the money up front regardless.

If you have something of value to sell and you are willing to stand behind it, add the 3% to your asking price...or better yet, just pay the seller fee.

JSmall

Bronco Guru
I don't understand why some members selling parts on here insist on buyers paying Friends & Family, meaning not only does the buyer have to pay the 3% fee, they are not protected if they get screwed. Especially when the seller gets the money up front regardless.

If you have something of value to sell and you are willing to stand behind it, add the 3% to your asking price...or better yet, just pay the seller fee.

I’ve purchased lots of stuff using the friends and family option and I’ve never had to pay a 3% fee. I guess things could have changed recently. I also don’t mind paying that way if I know the member and they are in good standing on this forum.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
You can avoid the fee if you use your bank account for the PayPal payment and not a debit or credit card. But you are right, you have no protection.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You could always accept a old fashioned check...or did you want real money?

El Kabong

Contributor
Driving stuff Henry built
Paypal pretty much sides with the buyer when there's trouble. I think some guys insist on friends & family to prevent automatically losing in a dispute.

ransil

Bronco Guru
Paypal pretty much sides with the buyer when there's trouble. I think some guys insist on friends & family to prevent automatically losing in a dispute.

I use friends & family to avoid the 3% fee. as a buyer and seller.

Stutsmo

Contributor
Bronco Guru
People just don't want to pay the fee when selling something.That is really all there is to it.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
People just don't want to pay the fee when selling something.That is really all there is to it.

^^^^

And shipping is a killer these days... I have been fortunate with my sales and purchases on this forum. Most everyone is a stand up person.

I did have one guy who wanted me to eat the East coast shipping on a $15 item. I told him how bad to you need this? It would be far easier for me to put it in the recycle bin than go through the hassles of shipping... for a $3 dollar return.

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
No one pays a fee with F&F. If you're worried about "protection", offer the seller 3% more and pay without F&F. I consider most people on the site to be Friends and Bronco Family.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
From the PayPal site:

Sending money – Personal payments:
There are no fees within the U.S. to send money to family and friends when you use only your PayPal balance or bank account, or a combination of your PayPal balance and bank account.

There is a fee to send money as a personal payment using a debit card or credit card. The fee in the U.S. is 2.9% plus $0.30 USD of the amount you send. For example, if you send $100.00 USD by credit card, the fee would be $3.20 USD ($2.90 + $0.30).

https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/what-are-the-fees-for-paypal-accounts-faq690

dedgar

F&F is no fees. if you're using a credit card though you will be charged fees and that's probably what you're seeing.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
The seller may be worried about the sale being viewed as a buisness and being caught by the authorities with all the transactions being traceable. Paying fines and back income taxes could really suck.

BigToe

I've never had a problem with paypal but I agree if your the one receiving the money, any fees should be back on you. Just my .02.

OP
OP
1strodeo

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Thanks for all the feedback, I do in fact pay with a credit card because I prefer not to link my bank account to eBay, PayPal etc...there's a reason they offer incentives (like not paying fees) if you give them your bank account info, and I'm quite sure it benefits them and not you.

I am not sure how to determine what members are "in good standing" as i had a not-so-good purchase experience with a 15-year member when i first joined so length of membership means absolutely nothing to me.

All I'm saying is when I sell stuff, I do not feel comfortable asking the buyer to pretend they're not buying something from me.

1sicbronconut

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You could always accept a old fashioned check...or did you want real money?

Actually had someone from here send me cash last week for something I sold him :) I usually ask to use the friends and family if the buyer isn't comfortable doing that it isn't really a big deal either.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
I am not sure how to determine what members are "in good standing" as i had a not-so-good purchase experience with a 15-year member when i first joined so length of membership means absolutely nothing to me.
well there's the problem, buying stuff from a minor;D
I try to always use the ff from members here even if they don't ask

kyle

Contributor
Bronco Guru
As the seller I would prefer to have regular PayPal if it’s under $100 since I can then have the convenience of buying my postage right with the transaction. I usually just leave it up to the buyer.