• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

runs out of fuel

mrbronco

Loc.
Lufkin,TX.
all of a sudden my 74 w/302,c4,has started draining the fuel filter(see through).i recently dropped the rear tank,had it cleaned at a radiator shop,and installed a new sending unit.this summer i had already replaced the fuel pump and carb.right before i dropped the tank it had tried to quit running.the tank was full of rust so i thought that was the prob.still does same thing.with fuel cap off,all vent lines off,and going straight to the pump(bypass tank switcher),i can only run a quarter of a mile before it dies.get out and look and the filter is dry.drop the line at the tank and fuel runs out.is it the new pump or what?

Broncmeister

Have you also replaced your lines? there could be crud in them, blocking the fuel.<br>

flint_knapper

BRONCO GOD
Loc.
Harvest, AL
Might be the pump, if you have a source of compressed<br>air remove the inlet line at the pump and tank and blow the lines out. also check for kinked lines.

Waverous

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Aurora, CO
I had a similar problem with the same filter. I beleive mine was a combination of a couple things:
  • Sticky needle and seat
  • Vapor lock
I replaced the carb, pump, and manifold and still had the same problem. I installed a new aftermarket gas tank and still the same problem. I installed a dual outlet fuel filter with one line returning to the tank and still the same problem. Finally I decided the problem was the heat generated by the engine and the placement of the fuel line directly in front of the engine. I rerouted my fuel line from the tank, down the passenger side of the frame, and up the cowl into the back of the carb from the passenger side. I replaced the mechanical pump with a Holley low PSI, high volume pump and Viola! - the problem is gone! No vapor lock, no carb draining, no high speed sputter - nothing -just smooth running

OP
OP
M

mrbronco

Loc.
Lufkin,TX.
no i didn't replace the lines.all of this happened all at once.i've had the truck since last dec.and this just started.it was doing fine until i dumped the rust and crap out of the tank.i've put the old fuel pump back on but am replacing the ps pump and haven't tested it yet.at idle the fuel pump seems to be fine meaning it keeps the filter full.it's only at higher rpm's that my problem occurs.

astark

Contributor
Bronco God
Try going with an electric fuel pump. I had fuel pump problems untill I went with the Carter Rotory Vein # P60430. It should be mounted as close to the tank as possible. The hot wire to the fuse box key on opperation only. Make sure it's well grounded to a clean part of paint free frame. Not a bad idea to replace filters and old line while doing this too.