• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Thanks for your comments on paint colors, new question

SP66

Bronco Guru
For those guys that have an opinion, is it better to paint to a period correct 1966 color rather than any other color if not using the 66 color it was born with--or is change simply change and it does not matter%)

asinor

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tulsa, OK
No benefit other than personal preference if you are changing from the original color.

OP
OP
S

SP66

Bronco Guru
No benefit other than personal preference if you are changing from the original color.

Asinor as a car guy do you think repainting to original, putting in the 66 seats adds value to a 66 Bronco? These Bronco's are a bit weird on value. When I was in the early Camaro game people asked the right questions--carb, engine, paint color, conv top color, interior color, tranny...everything had to match the vin#. In the end it's obviously not an investment but for someone looking for a 66 Bronco would that add any real value? I know it did not for me but I bought a rust bucket---what was important to me was 66 oddities like correct bumpers, tailgate, uncut body and dash, and hubcaps. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Bronco Junkie

So Cal Broncos
What people value in a muscle car is generally different than what people value in a 4x4. Although, I must admit I got caught up in the "keep it original" mentality as well.

asinor

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tulsa, OK
Asinor as a car guy do you think repainting to original, putting in the 66 seats adds value to a 66 Bronco? These Bronco's are a bit weird on value. When I was in the early Camaro game people asked the right questions--carb, engine, paint color, conv top color, interior color, tranny...everything had to match the vin#. In the end it's obviously not an investment but for someone looking for a 66 Bronco would that add any real value? I know it did not for me but I bought a rust bucket---what was important to me was 66 oddities like correct bumpers, tailgate, uncut body and dash, and hubcaps. Thoughts?

These are just my opinions, others may differ.

The thing that I have seen with EB's is that the quality of the work is the important thing. Based on your rustbucket comment, do what you want, make it the way you want, but do it right. Right now, unless you have a very good starting point, don't expect to get the money you put in it back out of it. The resale value will come from the quality of the work more than the originality.

If there was an national organization focused on original EB's it would be a lot easier to get one back to original and there would be a better market for them.

Personally, I'd leave it uncut, fix any rust issues, do a small lift, paint it the color I wanted and be happy with it. If you have the original seats and want to use them, do it. I think a 66 LUBR with some original pieces and original period correct aftermarket pieces would be pretty killer. There are some things about mine I'm not going to change because they were added in 69, and while they aren't perfect or the newest technologies, I like the nostalgia.

OP
OP
S

SP66

Bronco Guru
So then, I gather that unlike some other classic cars with specific original engines, paint... there is no real "financial" value to a 66 to most Bronco fanatics. Considering that upgrades occurred almost yearly if looking for an uncut stocker, 66 would possibly be the worst year to buy. What I've read here has always been to spend on the best rig you can afford that suits your needs. So an original very early 66 really just might be an interesting emotional purchase. Not one of any real financial value. I think that makes sense. The most expensive rigs seem to be the highly modded, lifted...things that take away from originality of the Ford build but provide a look, stance, and substance to play, crawl, off-road, and enjoy. These upgrades cost substantial money and that's what people seem to buy. I guess I just find it interesting that it's so different than say an original shelby or mach or....

NGABronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
N. GA now South Carolina
Hey #2, you need to factor in if it's a 66' U13, U14 or a U15??? Additionaslly if you change the color of any EB, there's a lot more to paint than the outside, there's door jams, doors, floors, under the hood and much more. The value, as others have mentioned, lies in the quality of the work and the extent that the quality was taken.

Sorry, but I don't think that there's an exact answer to your question!!%)%)%)

asinor

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tulsa, OK
So then, I gather that unlike some other classic cars with specific original engines, paint... there is no real "financial" value to a 66 to most Bronco fanatics. Considering that upgrades occurred almost yearly if looking for an uncut stocker, 66 would possibly be the worst year to buy. What I've read here has always been to spend on the best rig you can afford that suits your needs. So an original very early 66 really just might be an interesting emotional purchase. Not one of any real financial value. I think that makes sense. The most expensive rigs seem to be the highly modded, lifted...things that take away from originality of the Ford build but provide a look, stance, and substance to play, crawl, off-road, and enjoy. These upgrades cost substantial money and that's what people seem to buy. I guess I just find it interesting that it's so different than say an original shelby or mach or....

The market just isn't there like it is for Mustang, shelby, camaro, chevelle, corvette etc. The big difference is the type of vehicle (work/truck vs performance/sports) and, I think this is a big one, lack of national judging organizations that can document, judge, and generate interest in them. There is no organized hobby like there is with other classic vehicles. Like the Shelby's, the Stroppe's are inherently worth more.

Those high dollar restorations are also not driven often if they want them to hold their value. Every car needs to be driven to keep things working, but not to the extent most Broncos are.

Last edited:

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
For those guys that have an opinion

Opinions are like assholes....everyone has one

Again im not gona hold back...................

Paint it whatever color you want. Its your bronco and you gota drive it. If down the road somebody buys it and wants it period correct then let them paint it that color. Besides the period correct colors are plain jane and sometimes down right nasty.

Color dont mean squat to me. What matters to me is its a bronco between the years 66 and 77! For the most part i could care less if it was rebuilt back to factory specs or not. The guy i bought my bronco from did a ton of work to it im sure, but first thing i did when i got it home was tear it all down to the bare frame and scrapped the entire body! A period correct bronco to me is a pile of junk. The changes and mods i have done to mine makes my bronco WAY better than when it rolled of the assemble line....in my own opinion.

Build it your way, give it your own touch, give your bronco your personality!!!

I would never want to drive a truck the way it was made...its them personal touches that make it MY truck. Id hate to have worked on my bronco for 20 years only to pull up to the stop light, and next to me the same exact bronco.

Last edited:

asinor

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tulsa, OK
Build it your way, give it your own touch, give your bronco your personality!!!

I would never want to drive a truck the way it was made...its them personal touches that make it MY truck.

I don't agree with BKN much, but with all I've said this sums it up nicely. Theay are not Shelby's, they never will be, and I wouldn't DRIVE or ENJOY mine as much as I do if they were. I bought it to ENJOY it, not to make money on it. I have plenty of stuff that looks pretty... this is for fun.

OP
OP
S

SP66

Bronco Guru
I don't agree with BKN much, but with all I've said this sums it up nicely. Theay are not Shelby's, they never will be, and I wouldn't DRIVE or ENJOY mine as much as I do if they were. I bought it to ENJOY it, not to make money on it. I have plenty of stuff that looks pretty... this is for fun.

This has nothing to do with making money. Zero. As I said up top this is not viewed as an investment. Just really trying to understand the Bronco market, Gonna stop now, why beat a dead horse, but it's so strange to me in how it differs from other 47 year old classics. And the discussion was really the "why." If I tossed the original trans, put in a c4, pulled the 170 and dropped in a 302, lifted it, put on some bullet hole rims, and aftermarket seats it will be worth financially more than a rebuilt, restored to original. I'm not a car collector or Bronco collector. Usually have room for 1 toy at a time and the last three toys were and are Broncos. The Bronco is obviously a do what feels good project, not a restore/keep original, unless of course that makes you feel good.

ghost66

Bronco Guru
From what I've seen a modified Bronco resto is and has been worth more than a restored to original Bronco. Very difficult to get your money out of either way but there is a much wider audience for modified's. I suggest you just do what pleases you and have fun doing it without any toughts of recouping your investment. Personally I like uncut slightly modified Ranger Bronco's but I do have a cut and modified one as well. Both are 74's and both are very different. It's all about fun and taste really

jcpetrson

If you bought a Bronco to make a killing, let me know how that goes. There's some good advice above.

My '66 was originally a baby blue. I'd rather paint it pink than go back to the original color (sorry if I offended someone besides the original owner of my truck). The Wimbledon White of 1966 looks like butter cream. I'm going to go with a more classic white myself. To each his own.

Blue Bastard

Bronco Guru
Personally, I'd leave it uncut, fix any rust issues, do a small lift, paint it the color I wanted and be happy with it. If you have the original seats and want to use them, do it. I think a 66 LUBR with some original pieces and original period correct aftermarket pieces would be pretty killer.

I agree here, as far as value of no gain or loss. Keep the six banger, three on tree, small lift, uncut, if you don't hate the the blue keep it. Put the red stripes on it and enjoy the old school look with out dumping tons of $$$ in it.

I think it's a cool first year truck.

bigpitbull

BRONCO ADDICT
Loc.
Saltillo, MS
I agree here, as far as value of no gain or loss. Keep the six banger, three on tree, small lift, uncut, if you don't hate the the blue keep it. Put the red stripes on it and enjoy the old school look with out dumping tons of $$$ in it.

I think it's a cool first year truck.

I agree... I like the vintage look. Small lift and skinny tires... It would look super nice!