• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need Advice: Dad Giving Me His '71 Bronco

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
Cage for sure as everyone else says. Make sure its tied into the frame for even more structural integrity.

OP
OP
zeppelin_71

zeppelin_71

Bumping my old thread. Finally picking this bad boy up. Found a place in Austin I'm going to use to get it starting and stopping. Then, I'm going to learn to drive it and live with it for a bit before deciding next moves.

k0ofaa.jpg

r212dw.jpg

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
the only thing I would do to that Bronco is go through the steering, brakes, clean out the fuel tanks and do a good tuneup and go enjoy it. then you can fix the little things as you drive it. o and put new tires on. great looking Bronco, congrats

LUBr LuvR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What he said^^^. Looks like an awesome truck to start with, and the fact that it was your Dad’s makes it that much more special. Congrats and enjoy, welcome to the addiction!

fordfan

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes. Great look just the way it is. I wouldn't change anything.

OP
OP
zeppelin_71

zeppelin_71

the only thing I would do to that Bronco is go through the steering, brakes, clean out the fuel tanks and do a good tuneup and go enjoy it. then you can fix the little things as you drive it. o and put new tires on. great looking Bronco, congrats

That's the plan. I'm probably going to put some BFG A/T KO2 tires on it, unless you guys have better advice for me. Not sure what size yet. I'm not interested in lifting it, but I'm pretty sure I can fit a bigger tire under there than the current 7" wide ones.

What do most guys here like to run?

OP
OP
zeppelin_71

zeppelin_71

What he said^^^. Looks like an awesome truck to start with, and the fact that it was your Dad’s makes it that much more special. Congrats and enjoy, welcome to the addiction!

Appreciate it. I think it's going to be a lot of fun, and my dad seems glad I'm going to do something with it.

gnsteam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lincoln NE
Sweet! Your a lucky young man and kudos to your dad for keeping the Bronco in great shape and keeping it in the family.:cool::cool:

Jluck

I think I'd start with a big ol bear hug for dad! That's a beautiful Bronco!

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
30x9.50 BFG ATko 2's would be my choice for your Bronco. I have a set on my 74 an really like them, they are quieter, smoother an better in snow than the old bfg at's. don't blame you I wouldn't lift it either

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
Wow, it looks great! Like others have said, I'd just clean it up go through everything and enjoy it!

OP
OP
zeppelin_71

zeppelin_71

30x9.50 BFG ATko 2's would be my choice for your Bronco. I have a set on my 74 an really like them, they are quieter, smoother an better in snow than the old bfg at's. don't blame you I wouldn't lift it either

Appreciate the tip/info. Yeah, I don't want to lift it, so I guess I'll be pretty limited on tire size based on the wheel wells and especially that rear fender. I just think I want that stock/vintage look.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Appreciate the tip/info. Yeah, I don't want to lift it, so I guess I'll be pretty limited on tire size based on the wheel wells and especially that rear fender. I just think I want that stock/vintage look.

Not a darn thing wrong w/that...

OP
OP
zeppelin_71

zeppelin_71

Hey all,

Bronco is in the shop and getting estimates for all the work I'm going to get done -- new steering wheel (like original), front disc brakes, belts/hoses, distributor/ignition, vintage air conditioning, new tires (BFG 30x9.5r15), rear wheel cylinders, add power steering, and new fuel tank. May also let them put a rear bench in. Roll cage coming later.

Need advice from you experts on a couple things:

a) currently has dual pipes going out back, fairly small diameter, small glass packs; actually sounded pretty good when I heard it yesterday. My dad says you end up getting a lot of fumes in cab while driving b/c top is not air-tight, suggested taking pipes out the sides. Any thoughts? Would it be better to just get rid of current setup and go back to a stock set-up?

b) 2-barrel carb needs to be rebuilt ($450) or replaced; shop has suggested putting a 4-barrel Edelbrock in its place (about $1600). Fairly big price difference, but sounds like it could be worth it for more performance/power. On the other hand, as I'm keeping this thing fairly vintage/survivor, would you view this upgrade as being tacky/tuner? Any drawbacks to going from 2 to 4? Keep in mind, I'm not much of a gearhead, so keep the explanations simple, please.

Thanks in advance.

Pops68

Contributor
Bronco Rookie
Loc.
Bazetta Township
A 4 barrel Edlebrock carb should be around $400 +/- where as a rebuild kit for a 2 barrel carb should easily be under $50.

Your quoted costs for the rebuild and new carb seem out of this world - to me, at least!!!! Rebuilding a 2 barrell carb should be a half hour to an hour job max I would think. Installing a new carb should be similar time-wise.

You doing ANYTHING yourself??? Rebuilding a carb is relatively easy. Replacing one isn't too hard either.

Exhaust should exit behind the rear tires at an angle to the body, at least that seems to be the consensus as the best route.

PS: NOT trying to be a smartass or anything with my question about you doing any of the work.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Hey all,

Bronco is in the shop and getting estimates for all the work I'm going to get done -- new steering wheel (like original), front disc brakes, belts/hoses, distributor/ignition, vintage air conditioning, new tires (BFG 30x9.5r15), rear wheel cylinders, add power steering, and new fuel tank. May also let them put a rear bench in. Roll cage coming later.

Need advice from you experts on a couple things:

a) currently has dual pipes going out back, fairly small diameter, small glass packs; actually sounded pretty good when I heard it yesterday. My dad says you end up getting a lot of fumes in cab while driving b/c top is not air-tight, suggested taking pipes out the sides. Any thoughts? Would it be better to just get rid of current setup and go back to a stock set-up?
Exhaust should go out to the side and end past the body.
Fumes are sucked toward the back of the Bronco by the low pressure there, which is why out the back is bad.
Out past the body because fumes rise with the heat of the exhaust.

b) 2-barrel carb needs to be rebuilt ($450) or replaced; shop has suggested putting a 4-barrel Edelbrock in its place (about $1600). Fairly big price difference, but sounds like it could be worth it for more performance/power. On the other hand, as I'm keeping this thing fairly vintage/survivor, would you view this upgrade as being tacky/tuner? Any drawbacks to going from 2 to 4? Keep in mind, I'm not much of a gearhead, so keep the explanations simple, please.
A rebuilt Autolite/Motorcraft 2 barrel is a much better carb for a mostly stock Bronco.

Thanks in advance.

What I think.

I agree with Pops that the prices you quote are way out of line, lack of knowledge about mechanical matters is often an invitation to the unscrupulous to take advantage.