• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Flush window modification

8thdan

Has anyone in the group done a flush window modification. I saw a SEMA truck built by Velocity and the windshield and hardtop windows were flush. No rubber molding. This was SICK!!! and smart. No place for water, dirt, stuff to get trapped to start the rot.

Thoughts?

Michael

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
There are some on here. I'm doing this next week as well, windshield only.

OP
OP
8thdan

8thdan

Mark,
You said there are a few on here, but my search has not found any discussion. How are you going about it?

Michael

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Michael, the glass shop is going to cut the glass and glue it in with regular polyurethane adhesive against the pinchweld lip. After it is in place we'll fold the structure down so the inside edge can be cleaned up. If I didn't already have the frame painted and installed I'd cut the lip off and graft in square tubing that would be flush with the inner frame surface then mount the glass to that. That would give a nice finished inner surface and flush mounted glass. It's going to be a while before I can get it over there as we have fuel pump problems and still need to get the FiTech working right. Hope that makes sense. Mark

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Mark,
You said there are a few on here, but my search has not found any discussion. How are you going about it?

Michael

Two things could be why:
You may be using the forum search.
Use something else such as google and add site:classicbroncos.com to your search terms.

Also you may be searching for words they did not use to describe what they did.
For example you search for flush window but they used glued in to describe it.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, forum search is weak at best for some things. Works well for some basic stuff, but here's what I just found using syk's suggestion:
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205788

I think there were some discussions even before this one (from 2012) but this was the first to pop up in a google search.

Good luck!

Paul

OP
OP
8thdan

8thdan

Thanks to everyone about the 'search tool". You all were right, I used "flush windows" in the search and found nothing. I don't use Google that much as I don't like weeding through all of the other stuff that comes with it. Thought it would be easier to go through the forum.

Mark,
The description you gave made sense to me, but like you said it would be easier to do if the window wasn't painted already. We are in the planning of body modification side of our build and I like to line everything out and "white board" it before I start so we don't have to do anything twice.

CraigS

Markw, are you saying that you'd add the square tubing in place of the pinch weld flange area to make a better looking interior side of the glass? Something on the order of 1/8 to 1/4 inch bigger than the flange or same size? I may try that.

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Markw, are you saying that you'd add the square tubing in place of the pinch weld flange area to make a better looking interior side of the glass? Something on the order of 1/8 to 1/4 inch bigger than the flange or same size? I may try that.

Yes that’s my thought. I have another project in the works I’m going to try that on.

CA Monkey

Loc.
Tracy
or cut back the frame and weld in some angle iron making the windshield bigger since the glass shop is going to have to cut you new glass anyways. You could also go taller as the top of the windshield is where all the taller bronco owners have to look through.

Cortez

Bronco Guru
Anyone hear of broken windshields with this style install due to flexing during off-roading? I would think there is zero flex as compared to the rubber strip and wonder if that’s a problem.

CA Monkey

Loc.
Tracy
the early bronco frames are boxed so flex is minimal. Really flexy rigs tend to have extra cross members and roll cages to minimize flex even more.

Plus if the full size broncos can flex out with the C-channel frames and not crack the glass... i'm sure we'll be fine.

Hozr

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oly, WA
It's labeled as a "glued in windshield" mod I believe. I've been running it for 8 years now and will never go back. I actually need to get mine re-done as I managed to break it during the engine swap. Oops....

Side notes: the entire job last time I had it done was about $160 for glass and install. What does a windshield gasket cost these days? Almost ANY glass shop can do it, it's really easy. Also, the glass is not square!

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey Hozar how's it going? You're missing a fine Chico north wind summer day!

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
Getting mine done in the next week or two with laminated glass. I have 3 or 4 shops that are giving me bids

0HCN85u.jpg

Last edited: