• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Unfinished Project...How much is it worth

hardy1720

Loc.
Rome GA
As the story goes, I have an a 1976 Ford Bronco, numbers matching (frame, body and title) that I will not be able to finish. I have receipts for over 30K (I know, I know) that I could provide the new owner. Here are the specs below.

Ford Performance Crate Engine (Brand new/NOT rebuilt): 347 Stroker (M-6007-x347DR)
NewAX-15 5 speed Transmission
Rebuilt Dana 20 Transfer case, Casing powder coated
Blasted and Powder coated numbers matching frame
Rebuilt Dana 44 with 4.09 gearing (Housing powder coated)
Rebuilt Ford 9" Large axle bearing (Housing Powder coated)
New Warn locking hubs
WH 2.5" Suspension lift and coils, each leaf was powder coated
Stainless Steel brake lines
Wilwood proportioning valve
New Rear disc brake conversion kit
New front disc brakes
Duff Long Radius Arms, powder coated
Stainless bolts where it could be used
Sand blasted tub and hard top
All new metal panels to replace any rot or damaged areas
New fenders
Sexton Offroad front dual shock hoop
New 3 way adjustable tie-rods
Dual real Shock mounts
New power steering pump
1" body lift

I know you take a beating when projects are not finished. I can supply many more pictures if someone is interested. What do the bronco experts think would be a reasonable asking price as it sits now?

Attachments

• M-6007-X347DF.jpg
    M-6007-X347DF.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 247
  • Bronco 1.JPG
    Bronco 1.JPG
    134.5 KB · Views: 314
  • Bronco 2.JPG
    Bronco 2.JPG
    112.6 KB · Views: 288
  • Bronco 3.JPG
    Bronco 3.JPG
    128.8 KB · Views: 267
  • Sand Blasted Body.JPG
    Sand Blasted Body.JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 292
  • Passenger Side View Blasted Floor.JPG
    Passenger Side View Blasted Floor.JPG
    133.9 KB · Views: 265
  • Blasted Hard Top.JPG
    Blasted Hard Top.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 247
  • Side View Blasted Floor.JPG
    Side View Blasted Floor.JPG
    120.4 KB · Views: 270
OP
OP
H

hardy1720

Loc.
Rome GA
1966 post on this forum....I am all ears...? :)

I am a little surprised that more people haven’t jumped in.

Last edited:

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
I only have my phone to look at pics, so I would ask what needs to be done to finish the tub, assuming all the other parts listed have been installed? ‘rot or damaged areas’ could include rockers, kick panels, inner fenders, floors, tailgate, windshield frame, cowl etc etc which are all HUGE when it comes to valuation

OP
OP
H

hardy1720

Loc.
Rome GA
Not to avoid your question but the body work needed depends on what type of restoration an individual wants to do. I tend to be a perfectionist and i wanted everything to be perfect so i would say there is a lot of body work needed. I was quoted 6,000.00 from a local body shop to complete/replace panels, but never got to that point. That did not include paint so I am not sure if this helps. Thanks for your insight.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That's a lot of good parts and clean work, but the condition of the tub and the incidentals are going to add up quick. The problem is going to be that you can buy a pretty clean, ready to drive rig with a bunch of upgrades for $30k in many parts of the country, so getting your money out of it is going to be a tough row to hoe IMO. My rig is together for the most part, but has a ton of money in parts, but due to the rough body, is probably worth more parted out than together as a running rig...thankfully I have no plans to sell it, so it doesn't bother me.

ScanmanSteven

Bronco Guru
When you say lots of body work needed, such as, door post, cowl, front fenders, rear quarters, rockers? How many of the above in your opinion are needed? When you said you wouldn’t be able to finish it, are you willing to say why? Just don’t want to put that much extra in it? The powder coating might be a little excessive, but depending on the finish intended might be ok. So I’ll go out on a limb and say $25K. How’s that sound based on what you have invested?

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
A problem you will face is potential buyers looking at it and thinking 'I would do this different, I would do that different, I would use something else....'

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
A problem you will face is potential buyers looking at it and thinking 'I would do this different, I would do that different, I would use something else....'

That, and it is apart, which makes transporting it difficult, and it only speaks to a small audience of Bronco folks who would be willing to take this on as a project.

I would say you might get a 1/3 to 1/2 of your investment back :(

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I'm with apogee. To get much out of it you would have to part it. Also many of the better parts are large and heavy making shipping cost high which would also drive down selling price.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I'm with apogee. To get much out of it you would have to part it. Also many of the better parts are large and heavy making shipping cost high which would also drive down selling price.

agreed a well....

Cortez

Bronco Guru
Can you put a list of any major components which are still required? If I look at this the question is what’s left to invest to get her completed other than assembly and body work and that estimate along with the value of what you have done already would help a buyer make a decision. Do you have good fuel tanks, steering column, heater box, hood, grill, seats, drive shafts that fit the new AX, bumpers? If not then I know a range what’s left to invest on top of time and hard work.

Bogar

I looked up the engine and it is $10k new. Understanding the price includes shipping and warranty, but I would think the engine alone is worth some $$. I'm interested in the engine at a liquidation price :)

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
I looked up the engine and it is $10k new. Understanding the price includes shipping and warranty, but I would think the engine alone is worth some $$. I'm interested in the engine at a liquidation price :)

Yes, easy to part out the few expensive parts then 4 years later you still have junk all over the place nobody wants unless you give it away.

OP
OP
H

hardy1720

Loc.
Rome GA
Cortez,

I have NOT purchased the fuel tank, fuel lines, drive shafts, heater box, steering column, serpentine drive belt, water pump, master cylinder, wiring harness, all gauges, audio, steering wheel, wheels and tires, shocks.

I DO have the replacement metal to fix the body, grill, hood, original bumpers, and factory seats

The biggest expense I see is the body and paint. As each of you know, the little items add up too so there is still a long way to go. I do feel like the work that has been completed is top notch and this project would give someone a great head-start and still give them the option to customize. In a perfect world, I would hate to part everything out but I certainly understand the rationale.

Thanks to everyone for their opinions.

clarrance

Bronco Guru
I have seen this bronco project in person. This bronco has a lot of good quality top notch parts. If someone is looking for a project this is a great start. Yes it does need body work, but all the hard greasy dirty part is done.

BanditBronco

Get pictures of the hard to replace areas, like cowl, door posts, inside/under the rockers, if those areas are solid and it just needs floors like they all do then it would be a lot easier sell. I would totally buy a project that just needed the regulars, but if its one of those "do I order a new body or fix this one" tubs then its a tough sell no matter what stage its at.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hate to be a Debby downer, if you have $30k in an unfinished completely apart vehicle, you'll probably get $15K. Plus or minus some. Not seeing the boxes and boxes I know you have, just adding up all the little stuff could be another $15k to get it running NOT counting body/paint. Would someone really go for a potential $50,000 price tag on a parted vehicle?

As some noted, you may get rid of the motor, those can be had, but what could you get for a motor never run, out of warranty? Half price maybe?

I'd keep it together and see what you get, and it could take a long time to sell.

I've learned my lesson, it's been fun rebuilding, but I'd rather buy someone else's done than try to do this again, and then do some stuff to make it mine.

JaxLax

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Jacksonville, FL
Take your receipts and multiply by 0.35 then prepare to wait for a year to sell if you can.
The pool of buyers for non-running projects is small and 5 digit non-running projects aren't enticing if there is ANY metal/body work to be done. 90% of people are afraid of body work (beyond paint) and the costs are always largely varied and can balloon.