• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Steering ?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Wouldn't it be easier to add a custom drop than to remove the custom riser? After all, you are shooting for less angle on the trackbar, not more.

Paul

Last edited:
OP
OP
DEEPWOODS

DEEPWOODS

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I installed 7 degree bushings and got my caster up to 5 or 6 degrees with angle finder on bottom ball joint . Setup strings both sides and squared up and set toe to 1/4" . I am going to install camber shims before going back for alingment .

Attachments

• IMG_1129.jpg
    IMG_1129.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 32

74 Bronco Billy

Contributor
Did you play with the tire pressures? Do you have old tires or uneven wear on the front?
1. It might be easier to 1st borrow a set of tires to see if that makes a difference. Change the pressures in front, start out on the lower side, then air up more.
2. Find a way to put limiting straps on the front and rear axles to lower the suspension lift. Might just give you some more information to use to diagnose.

If you get to the point of the "C" bushings, and your front driveshaft is not fitting, leave it off and drive it around and see if it still feels like ice skates.

Good luck!

BRONCO26

Loc.
SENOIA
Whenever you are ready give me a call and we will put it back on the alignment machine and get some readings.

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I moved my track bar mount to the outer yoke of the housing. The mount sits just under the lower coil spring cup. This is called the Yorsten track bar mod. My track bar is made from straight DOM with 3/4" SRE's on both ends. It's 8" longer than my old set up. I just made new steering links, now it's working better than ever.

Mark

Now you have me thinking about my link lengths... I like this little idea...

OP
OP
DEEPWOODS

DEEPWOODS

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I haven’t went back for alingment #S yet . It is much better now than it was it is now just real sensitive if you move the steering wheel even a 1/2 inch in either direction it will dart right or left with you.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What have you done with the air pressures?
And don't hesitate to play around with the toe-in either. You can always put it back to your current 1/4" if you don't find a better sweet spot, but at least it's something you can experiment with almost daily when you're driving it.

I don't remember you mentioning what pressures you're running, so what are they now?

I'm not surprised your u-joint is near binding, with such HUGE caster numbers! I can't remember the last time I saw an EB front axle achieve anything near 5 degrees caster with 4.5" of lift and just C-bushings. Even at only 3.5" of lift, mine is still under 3 degrees with 7 degree bushings.
Just one of those things maybe...

Paul

OP
OP
DEEPWOODS

DEEPWOODS

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I finally got all ball joints installed shimmed both spindles new 7 degree cups and took it for alingment numbers . We changed the toe , I had to much toe. I still have to play at center so I guess I need to pull the box and send it to be rebuilt.It doesn’t have a rag joint it has u joints top and bottom . I can’t see any slop at the pitman arm when my wife turns the steering wheel.

Attachments

• 7FC2F4F0-C41B-4E2B-AEE5-8F6E0A96DA0B.jpg
    7FC2F4F0-C41B-4E2B-AEE5-8F6E0A96DA0B.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 19
Last edited: