• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Painters around WV, Ohio, willing to teach me how to paint

Marshall

The title says it. I have watched video after video for years on how to paint. I was thinking maybe someone on here would be interested in showing how to paint a bronco.

If you are close to WV, Ohio, or even Kentucky, in the tristate area, let me know if you are interested.

I know it is a very difficult, meticulous thing, that requires work and patience, so if you'd be willing, let me know.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Marshall

Marshall

Ideas

Hello crush, been working many hours.

I called the Marshall community college and they don't paint cars. Local vo-tech doesn't either, so that's why I figured someone on here might be interested in helping me out.

I'm wanting to paint the silver 74 fiberglass tub. I am pretty much set on a blue I have in mind. It's just something I've always wanted to try. I may paint my old beater f150 for a trial run.

If anyone else is interested, and in the area, ( hint crush, Deano, and Mike), maybe we can learn together if we can't find a teacher. I do need to give the guy you guys mentioned a try, he does very uplifting stuff, but probably wouldn't look right brushing doilies on my bronco, but if I get desperate......

Last edited:

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well, you could just watch the videos and go for it. It's going to be trial and error no matter what. Spray it on, decide if you like it, sand and recoat if you don't. Really no other way to learn it. Just get a really good respirator.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
Do you just want to spray it or do you need body work lessons too? I only ask because that is whole other skill set. Actually applying paint is part science part practice. The science you can figure out (temp, gun settings, ratio) but it just takes practice and patience to actually do it. Someone giving you some pointers will help but getting a used hood junk at a yard and painting it 5 or 6 times will teach you more than someone telling you what to do.

Body work takes a lot longer to learn in my opinion because there are so many variations on the problems you uncover, gapping panels, variety of materials. You can learn them all with time and patience. And material. Lots of material.

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I agree with pfc-mark. Far more material ended up on the shop floor than on the Bronco. It's amazing what you will learn with time and the difference in your work from start to finish. But it takes time, lots and lots of time. I have come to understand why shops will charge $10K ++ for a complete paint on a little Bronco.

OP
OP
Marshall

Marshall

The bronco needs very very little body work, just a couple scratches in the paint and some rock chips in the fender well area. It's fiberglass tub, steel doors and tg but I think you are right, I'm going to play with an old f150 and see how it's goes.

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
You know for me the painting was easy and fun, it was all the prep work and sanding that was a bitch, and like these guys said, practice and experience is critical, the more you get comfortable with you're gun and settings the better the job will turn out, oh and another thing, if you're doing base/clear, spraying the clearcoat is a whole other beast, it lays down totally different than paint, so if I were you I would practice on a shit panel first to get the clear applied, good luck. Jim ;)