• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Mystery Sound Friday!

flexmerc

Contributor
Alright Men,
Here is the skinny, I went to turn my truck on. It turned on fine 1st time, but I released the electric choke too early, and had to restart.

On the second attempt, a high whiny/spinning sound coming from the starter started, so I turn the key off and the sound kept going. I went to the battery and disconnected the positive connecter, and the spinning/whiny sound kept going.

The truck was running, electric choke was off, but the sound kept going it was kind of scary, like a bomb getting ready to go...I was unsure of how to cut the engine off, so I pulled the main plug from the distributor, the engine cut off and the sound went away.

Any ideas?

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sounds like the starter pinion is sticking. Tap the starter a few times while somebody is turning the key. see if it goes away. Might need a new starter. The whining was the pinion not engaging the flywheel

OP
OP
flexmerc

flexmerc

Contributor
Is there an explanation for the starter not stopping when I disconnected the battery?

OP
OP
flexmerc

flexmerc

Contributor
Wow, okay Kbuck and spap!
As always, never let down!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That's another reason why the first battery cable you should go for is the ground cable. Not only is it the recommended first to remove and last to install under normal circumstances, but as you found out pulling the positive cable does not stop an alternator from charging and running the whole system.
But pull the negative battery cable and even a running alternator has nowhere to ply it's trade.

Paul