• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

'Ol Blue Build, no longer topless

boonz28

Contributor
Hey Everyone!

I've been your typical lurker on this site for about a year now and i've finally decided its time for me to become a contributor and start a build thread.

A little background on me first... My name is Seth, i'm 26 and live in Bakersfield Ca.

Ok here we go:
This is my first EB (first Ford actually). Its a '71 that i bought about a year ago.
The PO had started to fix it up and had to move out of state and couldn't take the Bronco with him.
Here's what it looked like when i bought it:

Notice all the boxes in the first pic... The PO told me everything needed to complete the truck was there... I just needed to put it back together. LOL

Attachments

• iphone 022.jpg
    iphone 022.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 530
  • iphone 021.jpg
    iphone 021.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 470
  • IMG_0563[1].jpg
    IMG_0563[1].jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 543
  • IMG_0572[1].jpg
    IMG_0572[1].jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 461
Last edited:
OP
OP
boonz28

boonz28

Contributor
So I brought it home and told my wife i should have it on the road in about a month... LOL ;D

My origional plan was to put it back together spending as little money as possible and just cruise it on the weekends.

My first car was a '68 Chevelle with a 383 that required every cent i made just to keep it running and full of gas. A couple years later i bought a '94 Camaro Z28 that i dumped a ton of money into, made really fast and pretty, and then sold for 1/2 of what i had in it...

This project wasn't going to snowball into something that consumed all of my time and money! ;D

I started out by getting the dash somewhat put back together, bought a cover for the old cracked up dash pad, pulled the steering column and painted it, bought a steering wheel (truck didn't come with one) and got some trick billet windshield knobs.

The PO gave me a roll cage that was covered in surface rust and old chipping paint. I decided to clean it up and give it a nice spray bomb paint job.

Attachments

• iphone 068.jpg
    iphone 068.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 434
  • iphone 066.jpg
    iphone 066.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 367
  • iphone 061.jpg
    iphone 061.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 415

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Welcome aboard Seth..!!! Look forward to your Progress!!! :)

Nice lookin EB..

OP
OP
boonz28

boonz28

Contributor
A few months went by and i made a little progress here and there. I decided the lapbelts weren't going to cut it so i bought and fitted some 3 points to be mounted to the cage.

My dad who is a mechanic for the Fire Department has been a huge help on this build. He's always game for some Bronco Build time on weekends and i keep him on speed-dial when im working on it by myself. :)
Here we are deciding where to mount the seatbelts to the cage:

Attachments

• iphone 064.jpg
    iphone 064.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 340
  • iphone 063.jpg
    iphone 063.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 431
OP
OP
boonz28

boonz28

Contributor
Thanks sprdv1 and to everyone here at CB!

This place has been an unbelievably great source for information

I even found my Bronco for sale on this site.

OP
OP
boonz28

boonz28

Contributor
So after looking at everyone elses builds on here for a couple of months i decided i wanted to lift 'Ol Blue.
I started trying to convince my wife why i NEEDED to lift the truck for the functionality of extra ground clearance. She wasn't buying it and kept reminding me that i bought this truck with the intentions of just getting it on the road ASAP without dropping a lot more money into it.

Then... we were at the beach on vacation and a super clean lifted EB cruised by us nice and slow. She looked at me and said "that thing was awesome!" and i knew she was on the hook.;)
Later that day she agreed that lifting 'Ol Blue was the way to go.;D

After a couple months of looking at rigs on here I decided 'Ol Blue would get a 3 1/2" suspension lift, 2" body lift, and 35" tires.
I knew manual drum brakes weren't going to cut it (especially with my kids in the back) so i decided to upgrade to power discs up front and keep the drums in the back.
The stock front buckets were in really good shape but i decided i'd throw some Corbeau MOAB seats too.
Shipping would be really pricy on all this stuff so i made the 4hr (one way) drive up to Wildhorses in Stockton to pick up some goodies.

Attachments

• Moab seat.jpg
    Moab seat.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:

hdfx81

Welcome to the nut house. That is gonna be one nice ride when your done (although it seems we are never really done with them, only done until we get more money.)

OP
OP
boonz28

boonz28

Contributor
The Bronco sat for a few months after this because i got busy with work, other projects, and the birth of my son.

Here recently though i've had some time to start working on the Bronco again and have been getting a little work done.

About a month ago my dad and I tackled the body lift (like everyone here says, the old mounts were a pain but with persistence they came out).

They probably would've been worse if it weren't for the helpful tips i picked up on here. :D

I soaked all the bolts in PB Blaster for a couple days before we started and only sheered off one bolt.

Then we used a Sawzall to cut out the old mounts.

I used the ole duct tape over the hole in the frame trick for the mounts behind the front seats. If it weren't for this tip i would've dropped the washer and nut into the frame a dozen times at least.

After a few hours the job was done and 'Ol Blue sat 2" higher.

Sorry, didn't think to take any pics of this project but you've all seen it done on here before.

OP
OP
boonz28

boonz28

Contributor
Thanks hdfx81!

I lucked out starting with a really solid foundation. The body doesn't have a single dent in it, there is NO rust whatsoever, and the PO did some pretty nice work (notice the dash. The glovebox was moved over to clear the cage and the ashtray & stereo were removed to clean things up).

OP
OP
boonz28

boonz28

Contributor
After the body lift was done we got started on the suspension lift.

For those of you who haven't ever been to Bakersfield, it gets pretty hot here (112* today) so being out in the garage during the summer is usually out of the question after noon.

Day 1 of the suspension lift project we got the rear springs swapped out. It only took a couple hours but it was getting hot so we decided to call it a day.

Here's a picture of the rear done but stock coils still in front. My other helper is in this picture too. :D

Attachments

• iphone 275.jpg
    iphone 275.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 284
OP
OP
boonz28

boonz28

Contributor
The next free weekend we had we tackled the front suspension.

I got rid of the stock shock towers by grinding off the welds all the way around with an angle grinder.

Next i removed the front diff from the truck and installed the new 7 degree C bushings.
I used this meathod to install them and try to avoid the dreaded Bronco-Lean i've read so much about on here:
http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/bronco_lean/bronco_suspension

I also welded up the new shock hoops, tabs for the 2nd shock on the radius arm cap, and track bar drop bracket.
My dad has been welding for decades so he showed me the basics but i figured this would be a good time for me to get some practice in.
This was my first time welding so the welds aren't pretty but they'll hold.

When all was said and done we bolted every thing back together and crossed our fingers we wouldn't have too much lean. We shook the truck around, measured both sides and were within 1/2" of being level! ;D good enough for me.

Attachments

• iphone 280.jpg
    iphone 280.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 228
  • iphone 282.jpg
    iphone 282.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 233
  • iphone 393.jpg
    iphone 393.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 254
OP
OP
boonz28

boonz28

Contributor
Here's some before and after pics of the lift install:

Attachments

• iphone 382.jpg
    iphone 382.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 200
  • iphone 381.jpg
    iphone 381.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 232
OP
OP
boonz28

boonz28

Contributor
Ok, we're almost current with the build now.

Last week i got some time to start on the disc brake install.

Its the chevy disc brake kit from Wildhorses. Everything went together pretty easy but getting the spindle nut retainer lined up perfect can be fun when your going back together with it.

Attachments

• iphone 395.jpg
    iphone 395.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 193
  • iphone 396.jpg
    iphone 396.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 208
  • iphone 405.jpg
    iphone 405.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 237
  • iphone 418.jpg
    iphone 418.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 219

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
yeah that little POS can be a real pain in the azz... lol

OP
OP
boonz28

boonz28

Contributor
I'm replacing everything on the entire brake system except for the stainless lines that run the length of the frame.

A couple days ago i installed new stainless lines that go across the front and rear diffs and longer braided lines that go from the frame to diff to compensate for the suspension lift. I also have longer e-brake cables that i haven't installed yet.

Thats all for now folks but i'll make sure to take more pictures and keep this build updated at it moves along.

I'm going to try to get as much done as possible by the end of the month because starting next month football and hunting will eat into a lot of my free time.;D I work every-other weekend though so we'll see what i can get done.

shado72

I agree with frank, Tito is the man to talk to about ur build. Helped me out with any question about my truck and also hell of a guy.

Good luck! nice build

Thunder Chicken

wow looks like a really good starting point you got there......looking good ..this looks like its going to end up really nice keep up the good work....pic pics more pics!