• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Do under car heatshields help?

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I haven't used them (yet), but would like to try them out. This company has a bunch of interesting products for NVH and heat shielding, plus some pretty good explanations of what their products do and how they do it.

https://www.heatshieldproducts.com/

And their president is an EB owner! I have some of their insulation products on the underside of my truck that he sent me to test years ago - seems to help a bit.

Todd Z.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
I haven't used them (yet), but would like to try them out. This company has a bunch of interesting products for NVH and heat shielding, plus some pretty good explanations of what their products do and how they do it.

https://www.heatshieldproducts.com/

I am using their Muffler wrap... and it works!

Attachments

• IMG_20171020_134413546_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20171020_134413546_HDR.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 210

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru

Thanks for some real world feedback on that product, Doug. It's something I want to try. I stopped by their booth today but Steve was busy (as he always is every year).

Todd Z.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru

exactly what I'm using and doing. I bought two kits, using second and remnants to wrap other areas of exhaust that get to close to stuff.

Wide open areas i plan to wrap with motorcycle exhaust wrap tape.

RedLeg0811

Loc.
Maltby, WA

I don't know if it is the same manufacture, but quite a while ago I was given some scraps from work that they use on the semi trucks and it looks just like 904's stuff. The stuff I have has a sticky back that I placed on my fuel tank as the exhaust ran close past it. It has stayed stuck since the first Unevent, sand mud, washes.

I need to make some shields for other area though.

Hey Lars great to hear from you again. Heard you went away from the broncos to do aircraft?

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Dang sure can't hurt brother...

Hi Guys,

My feet and I are melting! Normally I wouldn't care too much but I'm driving my 66 as a daily driver and dam, my interior is HOT!

So my question to you is, do metal, under car heat shields really help reduce the heat through the floor?

My top is off 10 months or more out of the year so spending bucks on new carpet carpet and new sound deadener wouldn't make sense for me.

Any suggestions? I was thinking about making a set of sheet metal heat shields the length of the exhaust but will it really make a big difference?

And does the heat shield new cars have under the hood really help?

Thank you, as always, I appreciate your input.
:cool:

edmedlin

Loc.
Republic Missouri
Use some sort of stainless if you do. The heat shields on my 75 were the only place I had rust. I cut those off and the Dyno-Mat that I installed seems to do the job very well and also gets rid of some of the noise our EBs are famous for. The constant "bass drum" sound is now only a memory.

Unaweep

Loc.
Grand Junction CO
Has anyone used the adhesive backed heat barriers that go on the bottom side of the floor? No real air gap but they probably work.

I have been thinking about using DEI floor and tunnel shield from summit in a few areas.
https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/dei-050503/overview/

I put that exact same Summit Racing adhesive backed heat barriers on the underside of my Bronco between the exhaust and the body, attaching to the body underneath, did it three years ago. Heat on floor went from 168F passenger side to 90f measured with a Fluke IR thermometer. I have zero carpet in my Bronco, bare metal floors.

My reasoning putting on underside vs inside: I want to stop the heat soak that the metal is getting. Stop the heat before it hits the metal, vs. a very hot metal floor and then try to insulate it that heat from passengers.

Next step is to wrap exhaust headers, and some metal heat shields between exhaust headers and exhaust pipes to keep the entire Bronco floor cool.

Erik

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I used header wrap to wrap the exhaust pipe from the manifold down to the turn under the floor boards. It definitely helps. I some day will use some modern heat shielding as used in the new cars with an air gap. Another importance is moving stuff in the engine compartment so as much fan air can exit down by the exhaust. In particular sloppy installed heater hoses and the like block free flowing air. Of course the biggest help is top and doors off so heated air doesn't build up and make you ornery.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
here I'll post some up...

nvrstuk

Contributor
I'll find the others , I just got home so I'll dig them out as I need to finish up my build thread.

I put 1/2" sq tube under my new seat floors appr 12" apart. Welded to the floors.

I then used .083" alum sheet and pop riveted it to the tubing. It runs from my rock skis to the the tunnel.

They also are under the floors where your feet rest up the firewall to appr. even with the top of the headers. They curve up the tunnel some on each side.

They work great!

Attachments

• IMG_0960.jpg
    IMG_0960.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 168

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
Haven't done it myself but someone once mentioned salvaging factory exhaust heat shields from a late model van and adapting to fit.

Those 15 passenger vans are a great source of cheap low Milage roller cam 351W engines too !

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Cheap air bake cookie sheets are a great source of heat shields - two pieces of aluminum with an air gap between them keeps temps down quite a bit.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Dang Kyle, GREAT idea...where were you 4 weeks ago huh!!?? lol

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Cheap air bake cookie sheets are a great source of heat shields - two pieces of aluminum with an air gap between them keeps temps down quite a bit.
I'm wondering if they could be bonded with body glue to the body... In other words glue them right to the painted underside. Would they stay stuck? Imagine the noise one of those would make coming of the truck at 75mph.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Bonding them directly to the eb may not be the best solution,
They should have "stand-offs" or "chairs" that keep them away from the eb sheet metal as it reduces the heat conducted right through the panel and into the eb.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
They are made of aluminum, I'd rather trust mechanical fasteners to hold them.
Not much sticks well to aluminum.
And I agree using stand-offs would be more effective.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Yeah - I would weld on some stand off and zip them into it, not even caring if I go through both sides of the cookie sheet - the thermal value would be incredible.