• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help With AC/Heat on 1973 Bronco

gvsho

Anyone recognize this ac/heat combined system? I believe it was a dealer-installed option but have no idea. It's currently not working and I'm thinking it's an electrical issue. I'm hoping that someone is familiar with it and even better if I can find some sort of schematic so I can try to troubleshoot.

Any help would be appreciated.
Greg

Attachments

• 40661369cb746a_low_res_1973-ford-bronco (1).jpg
    40661369cb746a_low_res_1973-ford-bronco (1).jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 40

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
Looks like Vintage air. Not likely dealer installed as they were all underdash units that retained the factory heater, that looks much newer. How about a pic of the actual heat/ac unit?

56f100bbw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson / lakeside AZ
He is right vintage air got 3 of them ,what side is the compressor on that could tell how old system , thermostat don’t last for ever check power

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Look around for a separate fuse in case that's what they do. Might have blown at some point.

They run their own fuse bbw? Or do they rely on the installer to put their own in?

Paul

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I have one with that same control panel.
I have the installation instructions and the electrical drawing.
However, I'll be away for a couple weeks.
Until then, you can take the previous advice and trace the wiring back to the fuse.
These units do have undercharge protection for the compressor, but the fan should still run.

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, X2 on the simple check. There is more than one thing going on. Does the fan blow when you try the switch? If the fan won't turn on it is either burned out, stuck, or not getting power.
If the blower turns, but doesn't get cold, check to see if the compressor is clicking on. If the compressor won't turn on it could be out of refrigerant, or maybe an electrical issue.
I can't tell if this is also a heater unit, so I'll just skip that. Good luck