• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Speedometer Bounce Issue

Fewellrb

Loc.
Nashville
My speedometer bounces around so much it is unusable. If I’m going 30 it will bounce between 5 and 50 every time I touch the gas. Is this normal or is there a fix?

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
First thing to try is lubing the cable. I use this stuff..... found it at Ace Hardware.
disconnect the cable from the speedo. Pull the flex shaft out of the housing. Clean it good to remove any dried oils, lube it, and reinstall.
f120204dc21f9fb1c4e11250a1413305.jpg

Hotrodjohn

more than likely the cable, Id try that first. If that cable is getting some bind it will cause the needle to bounce. Second would be the speedo head itself.

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, X2. I would disconnect both ends and spay WD 40 from the speedometer head down, and give the cable a nice cleaning. If the inner cable still binds try a new cable. Good luck

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Yes, service the cable, but don't over tighten the nut at the speedo head.
It's designed to be only hand tight.
The hex nut makes you think you should put a wrench on it, but don't do it! That can put things in a bind.

Oh, and I just noticed this is your first post.
Welcome aboard Fewellrb!

Last edited by a moderator:

g-71

I had to do the clean, relube process twice to get mine working.