• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Part # for axle seal?

MSwheelin

Loc.
Iuka, MS
I have the small bearing axle in the rear of my 66. It was leaking oil so I have removed it to replace, but the local parts house cannot figure out which seal it is.

If I had a number they might could cross reference. I could order from any of the Bronco parts suppliers but hate to pay shipping for such a small part.

I appreciate any help!

Attachments

• Rear Axle Seal.jpg
    Rear Axle Seal.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 46
OP
OP
M

MSwheelin

Loc.
Iuka, MS
I tried a National 51098 but it was just a hair bigger than the one that came out and would not fit.

jrussells

Contributor
If you're talking about Carquest, they got me the right bearings and seals on my 69 the first try. Might try looking under a couple different years, I've noticed some of their parts don't always show up in the right year.

Sure is a small world, didn't think I'd see anybody else from iuka on here

OP
OP
M

MSwheelin

Loc.
Iuka, MS
No kidding! We'll have to connect somehow. You probably have all the tools I need:)
I'll check with Carquest and see if they can hook me up. I had been going to Autozone but they were not very helpful.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Dang two luka peeps. NAPA is a good source for the seals as well.

Hey I was over on y'all's mountain not to long ago;D

labuski

IMG_4452.jpg

found here: http://saveclassiccars.net/2015/09/11/ford-9-inch-axle-seal-replacement/

i think either this one or the 9568 national should work

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey labuski, welcome! And thanks for the info.

Can't find my older National book, but the Victor/Perfect Circle book lists a #46121 you might be able to cross over as well.
Timken shows a #9568, consistent with what labuski said.

HOWEVER... Hah!
My Timken book also shows a '66/'68-only seal as a number #6939 for the small bearing.
Never really noted that, or just don't remember, but that might be why you're having trouble.

Check that out as well and let us know what works.

Paul

OP
OP
M

MSwheelin

Loc.
Iuka, MS
It's Official

This is the correct bearing for a 1966 with a 2700 lb axle Ford 9".

Attachments

• Axle Seal.jpg
    Axle Seal.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 46

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Did you try fitting it over the axle shaft yet? You can lube it with some oil and if it slides on easily, but tight (how's that for a scientific description?;D) then you're good on the inside.
Then check to see if it looks like it will be a nice tight fit in the housing end.
Other than that, all we can tell from here is that the number matches at least one source showing your number.

The other one I listed as #6939 is also from a pretty reputable source (Timkin, an OE supplier) so is worth looking for if the one you have does not fit.
But only you can decide whether it's going to fit your particular application or not.

Good luck. But try it on for size first.
If you're gentle you won't hurt it and not be able to return it. You'll know right away whether it fits the shaft or not.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Oops. Guess my reading comprehension needs tweaking. I took that as a question, rather than the answer!
Thanks for the follow-up.

Paul

Redbark

Anyone know the part numbers for a big bearing axle bearing and axle seal?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
A large bearing rear should be a #49150 seal and an #88128R bearing.
All years of the EB large-bearing would be the same.

Old industry standard numbers, but your supplier of choice should be able to cross it over in case they use a different numbering system.

Paul

Redbark

A large bearing rear should be a #49150 seal and an #88128R bearing.
All years of the EB large-bearing would be the same.

Old industry standard numbers, but your supplier of choice should be able to cross it over in case they use a different numbering system.

Paul

And Paul pulls through again! Thanks for confirming the numbers.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Cool, thanks. Glad you're replacing them buggers!
They're like termites. Silently eating away at things around them, hidden in the dark behind the brakes. Until one day...;D

Paul