• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Spark Plug wires different for MSD distributor

vtboy51

I'm finally swapping my stock distributor for an MSD, but the plug wire ends don't seem to be the same. Am I missing something or do my stock plug wires not work with the MSD?

Another question, my stock distributor cover has plug 1 labeled, but nothing is labeled on the MSD, do I just put plug #1 wire on the connector that is aligned with the rotor (assuming I'm at TDC)?

Attachments

• dizzy.jpg
    dizzy.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 44
Yours look like they are for a points distributor. Any wires for a Duraspark distributor should work. If you get wires for a 77 Bronco they should fit the cap fine. There are better wires than stock replacement ones, but lots of people have different opinions on wires and different budgets for wires. I have used MSD wires and they held up and worked well. Using Ford Motorsport 9mm wires and Taylor wires on my stuff right now. They aren't the best out there, but they seem to work ok.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What 78 said. There are basically two styles of connectors used over the years at the distributor end (with minor cosmetic or ancillary differences of course) and you now need the "newer" style.
I consider it the better design, as it's less prone to corrosion from moisture getting into the old recessed pocket, and less likely to pull the end off when you're just pulling plug wires for whatever reason.
Most electronic ignition systems when over to that style many years ago, but with some (including MSD) having distributor caps with both old and new styles available. Probably just to cover people's personal preferences I'm guessing. Otherwise no real reason to keep the old style unless there's a clearance issue for some reason.

So even though you may be able to get a replacement cap for your distributor to match your old wires, I would get the new wires to match the new cap instead.
Besides, adding more spark energy usually means old and tired wires get taxed beyond their limits.
If your existing wires are fairly new, I can understand why it would be nice to use them. Wires are more expensive than caps. But I still say it's better to use the newer ones.

Maybe you can have your cake and eat it too though? If your wires are new and you can't return or resell them, you might be able to get the correct cap for them that fits your distributor, then when it's time to replace the wires in the future you can get the modern set and re-install the cap with the spark plug ends on it.

Just a thought anyway. Something to cloudy up the subject and give you more things to think about and decisions to make!%)

Paul

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, as mentioned, your old distributor cap is the older style female type, and the old wires won't work.
The number 1 spark plug terminal looks like you marked with a sharpie. Make sure the rotor is directly under this terminal, and look at a firing order diagram to insure the wires are installed properly. If you have your timing mark and balancer lined up, your rotor should be pointing to 1 oclock, basically at the master cylinder. If it is the rotor is pointing at the radiator, you are 180 degrees off.Good luck

Broncobowsher

Total hack
MSD doesn't label the #1 on the cap because that cap is used on many different engines and the #1 is in a different position for the various makes and models that could use it.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And it really doesn't matter where the #1 wire's position is, as long as the rotor and the wire meet up at the correct time. Ford logically marked the factory stuff and replacement stuff so that consistency would prevail and make tune-ups and trouble-shooting much easier for the mechanics and end-users.

Gives you a good point of reference in other words. Which is still a good thing to adhere to so you don't have to remember where you put which wire, and why.;)

Paul

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I've been known to take a sharpie and write the cylinder number by each post. Add that to the Ford Motorsports wires that have numbers printed on them and even a side of the road throwing the plug wires on in the dark you can still do a pretty good job of getting them all in the right place the first time.