• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cowl hood prep

Piglet

Getting ready (again) to start putting the front end together and prep for paint. So I ordered a cowl hood from bronco graveyard, At the front nose of the hood there are some “gaps” in the fiberglass, are these okay to just go over with some filler, or do I need to use fiberglass/resin first? Thanks in advance

Attachments

• A4742CE6-EDC9-442D-9682-ECE96A93EC5B.jpg
    A4742CE6-EDC9-442D-9682-ECE96A93EC5B.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 80
  • 93880D15-8B78-4BDB-954E-855776ACC708.jpg
    93880D15-8B78-4BDB-954E-855776ACC708.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 90
  • 7C7558EC-ED10-4B86-87AC-4AA6F890CB94.jpg
    7C7558EC-ED10-4B86-87AC-4AA6F890CB94.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 79

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
If you just use a filler use one with fiber in it. Kitty hair or Dura-glass. I would see if You can deflect it on the bond line. If it deflects I would use glass and resin especially if you can get to the back side of the repair. If it deflects on the line, spot putty and paint will crack down the road so fix it right now. Right now its an easy to fix standing upright. Sucks you got workmanship like that. whoever made it knew it was there as they trimmed the part line in the tooling.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
If this seem is built up above the layers that make up the hood you can sand it smooth and move on. If you have any question about whether a crack can be ignored or not wipe the area with reducer (best) or lacquer thinner. If the area has a crack that needs your attention it will hold the thinner longer and highlight it. Then you need to grind it our and fill it with kitty hair or other products designed for the job.

Usually these parts have a solid edge on them you can sand down to get a clean edge but you never know what you get until you open the box!

If it deflects like Rusty Truck says you have a bigger issue let us know. All fixable!

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Push next to the bad joint and if material squishes or moves in any way it needs to be reinforced. This is a bad area to be soft ad this is where you open and pull down the hood. it needs to be stiff.

Beer and Fish

Bronco Guru
It's an easy fix. Go to your local fiberglass shop )if you don't have one, online I guess. Mix up some milled fiber, do a search on YouTube. It will fix that crack no worries. Fiberglass boat resin and milled fiber. Do not go crazy, too hard to sand. Little steps. EASY FIX I PROMISE!

Master Chief

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Remember, JBG is a distrbutor. They do not make the parts.

I bought a mid-rise hood from JBG, made by Bronco Design. I had some questions about the vents and front ram air dimples. Steve at JBG gave me a number to reach Corey at Bronco Design so I could ask them questions regarding finishing.

As others have said here, that looks like an easy fix. However, I would call JBG and ask who made the hood, get their contact info, and call the manufacturer directly. They will guide you on the repair or may send you a new hood and you will not have to worry about it.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
If that was my hood, I would expect JBG to send me a new one and arrange pickup of the bad one. They should deal with the manufacturer. You should not have to repair something that you bought new.

68ford

Bronco Guru
I would complain as well. I bought the same hood from wild horses(same supplier) and mine is perfect. I mean not a blem spot anywhere. The manufacturer has means to make it perfect and I would expect that.

OP
OP
Piglet

Piglet

my concern is that i bought this hood back in December, i think. and i honestly just thought fiberglass hoods would need some work to get them to look good. so i didnt get in touch with them right away. thats on me, i know. im completely okay with doing some "filler" work to it, and wasnt sure if i should start with fiberglass resin or regular everglass etc. i appreciate everyones feedback.