• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Overheated now to check the cooling system

BroncoinAlaska

Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Just over heated. Glad it was with in a mile of the house. Bronco had been running pretty cool the last couple of drives, right around 180. The heater had been performing not like it should. During a mix of country driving (60mph) and city (40mph). On my way home tonight 30°, I heard a squeal from the engine compartment that lasted for ten seconds then disappeared. Then the temp started climbing. Pulled it into the garage, shut the Bronco off and then the steam started and filled the garage quickly.

What steps should I take to checking the cooling system?

Cooling System Info
Ford Racing GT-40 Crate Motor
Explorer Serpintine with Motocraft Water Pump
BC Broncos 5.0 Radiator
13# Radiator Cap
90's Ford Coolant Washer Fluid Reservoir Combo
BC Broncos Vintage Air AC/Heater

Everything is newish with less than a couple hundred miles. The newest addition was the vintage air kit. I am thinking I still had a air bubble in the system. How should I check my water pump to make sure I did not fry it limping the Bronco back home.

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
Squeal sounds like water pump may be shot. Look for a little trickle of water from the pump snout. The pump has a weep at the bearing that will lwt you know the bearings are gone and it will start dripping coolant.
If there is no water try burpping the engine. Leave the cap of the radiator, park the truck so the radiator fill is the highest point and let it run for a while keeping your eye on the temp. if there is air in the system it will find its way to the top and burb out. I had to do this to mine. I dorve it for a couple hundred miles and it continually puked coolant. Once I let it idle with the cap off for a while the puking stopped.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I'd chase the squeal. The water pump is centrifugal and the impeller should make no contact with anything that would stop it from turning. I'd suspect the pump impeller came loose, wadded up, and locked up for that ten seconds.

OP
OP
BroncoinAlaska

BroncoinAlaska

Loc.
San Antonio, TX
I'd chase the squeal. The water pump is centrifugal and the impeller should make no contact with anything that would stop it from turning. I'd suspect the pump impeller came loose, wadded up, and locked up for that ten seconds.
That's what I am worried about. What is the best way to check the water pump?