• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Mystery Government Bronco: Please Tell Me What My VIN Means!!!!

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Sounds like they bought a run of them. From the little I know about production codes they werent bronco specific as were some vehicles they were applied to various trucks so the next consecutive number could be a F100, F250, ect. remember there we only about 16,100 broncos produced in 67. So you guys could be very lucky it would be interesting to find out if anyone else has a number in between the 2 of you.

OP
OP
K

kaisermusic

Loc.
Chehalis WA
This could be a very interesting thing to research! I think that the DSO code bieng the same is more interesting than the VIN thing. I just want to know who bought them and for what purpose!

cdkaminsky

Loc.
Pflugerville
kaisermusic said:
is yours also originally a 6 cyl or a 289? Also, is your rig the original color too?
Mine is also a dark green. Like a park service color it seems? I would love to be able to find out more about our DSO specification. I thought the last 4 digits of the DSO were specific to the company or oganization, if thats true, then ours were both built for the same organization. What is it?????!?!?

No, my engine has been replaced...by one of the POs...I have a 302 now....

But I still have a hole in the Tranny Tunnel for what I am guessing was the floorshifter for the 3 speed that went with the 6cly. that was in it.

As far as pint goes...hahaha I havent a clue of the original color....
It has been repainted a few times from what can tell.....I will try to look in some areas where the paint might still be orginal......

OP
OP
K

kaisermusic

Loc.
Chehalis WA
your vin has the 6 cyl code so it was originally a 170 like mine still is, my paint is all original on the inside. see if your interior color was a dark forrest green.

Also, my 170 doesnt have the autolite 1100 carb. I think it is a z something type? I don't know if my engine is original or not, so does anyone know how to check the block #?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I'm not sure where the block # is on a 6cyl but on V8's there above the starter if its a 67 block it should have a C7 to start the number although it have a C6 or C8 as either could have been put into a bronco from the factory depending on availiblity of parts at the time.

cjjhalfcab

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oologah, OK _
On that cluster, does it have "idoit lights", or just text on the metal backround? If I remember right, the mid-60s F100s used the same instrument cluster, but I've seen them with ALT and OIL lights instead of guages before. Someone may have swapped in a truck cluster for a faulty Bronco one. I would guess no paint code because of what has been said; probably special order paint to whatever agencys spec.

OP
OP
K

kaisermusic

Loc.
Chehalis WA
yeah the text has lights behind it that light up RED. But how would they hook up and function with the supplied bronco wiring? Wouldn't the current signal play a different role in a guage then in a light sensor?

Howdy

Loc.
Folsom, Ca
As you probably already know the :

092 = wheelbase 92 inches
U150 = 4000lb bronco
998 = ?
C = 3 speed manual
03 = 4.11 gears

I see the 76's also had a run through the A, B, C, and even D's

OP
OP
K

kaisermusic

Loc.
Chehalis WA
definatley not a 76. I looked at that too.

If I bought one of those history reports for my bronco, would it tell who bought it originally?

cdkaminsky

Loc.
Pflugerville
Howdy said:
As you probably already know the :

092 = wheelbase 92 inches
U150 = 4000lb bronco
998 = ?
C = 3 speed manual
03 = 4.11 gears

I see the 76's also had a run through the A, B, C, and even D's

I think the 998 has something to do with 98 = long roof (wagon)
and maybe the first 9 is for the interior color code.....parchment...

I went out and cleaned some of the kickpanel/and firewall -pan area on drivers side. THe color is a dark green....what I would call a military green....or army green... I am getting more interested!!!! This may actually make me repaint this more towards the orginal color....

OP
OP
K

kaisermusic

Loc.
Chehalis WA
hahaha thts what I was thinking. I was going to go with seafoam green....

So now we have some of the pieces coming together......

Where do we go from here?

cdkaminsky

Loc.
Pflugerville
what to do....

well...I have so much stuff to do on mine....I will be replacing the floorpans, and some other metal parts soon...

Hopefully we can get more info along the way....mine has been lifted, painted a few times, and engine replaced so really trying to go after an orginial look would brake the bank....hahaha....

But going orginal color is doable for sure...just have to figure out what that is....

OP
OP
K

kaisermusic

Loc.
Chehalis WA
im going thru the restore process now too. Floorpans mainly as well. Mine is all stock. 6 cyl, clean uncut dash, etc. So If I could ever figure out what this bronco was used for, maybe I could go for a theme look?

Anyone know where to find more info regaurding DSO's??

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

kaisermusic

Loc.
Chehalis WA
I looked up my gauge cluster on ebay and It looks just like one from a f100.

Now this kind of strikes me as wierd, because the bronco was so original when I got it, and nothing had really been touched.

Is it possible that for some reason, the bronco was ordered with it?

I suppose someone could have changed it out over the years, but it just seems wierd they chose that cluster. I guess they might have been more readily available?

1975stroppebaja

Bronco Guru
Kaisermusic, both you & cdkaminsky might want to mail a letter with your name, address, VIN, etc to:

Ford Customer Service Division
Ford Motor Company
16800 Executive Plaza Drive
P.O.Box 6248
Dearborn, Michigan 48126

and request a report on your VIN. Within a couple weeks you should have a letter from them with some info on it.

Here's an example of the report that SACHEM posted in another thread so you'll see what kind of info they have...

http://www.classicbroncos.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7241

and I suppose since your rig lands in the 1967-1973 range, you can get a VIN report from Marti Auto too but that costs some $$$.

Good luck, this has been a very interesting read :)

SeaBiscuit68

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tacoma Wa
kaisermusic said:
It has a "B" date code, which falls between the 67's "A" designation, and the 68's "C" designation. As I understand it, 68 starts with C right? there is a post on this site somewhere that has a scan of a 68's vin guide and it says it starts with C.

I've become convinced there's a hole in the data available between the 67 A #s and the 68 C #s. If you take the data literally you would be led to believe Ford didn't build them between Aug and Nov of 67. Notice that each month has 14000 #s except August of 67. What got me started on this was my own vin (C17757). It's a 68 no doubt about it but it's not on the chart. So I think it must land in that hole somewhere. Counting backwards subtracting 14000 I can guess it was built in Sep, but I can't know for sure. I mention this as possibly our two dilemmas are related, maybe not though.

OP
OP
K

kaisermusic

Loc.
Chehalis WA
yeah I thought so. Mine is in that gap but is a 67 because of the dash and doors etc.

But it is odd that it is so hard to find a chart showing B codes on there.

cdkaminsky

Loc.
Pflugerville
thanks for info

1975stroppebaja...thanks for the address...I will get my letter out Monday!

Well I really have not had my EB too long.....not long enough to have had in during any serious rain.....

Well we got some lastnight....man...do I have some leaks......My cup holder attached to the 4wheeldrive shifter was full of water. There was water on my the top of the rocker panel close to the hinges.....My door is not aligned well. I need to fix that.....

I really need to finish sanding the inside and get the POR 15 down....then get the Durabak down. Then I will remove the windshield /gaskets / etc and clean that up and replace the gasket.

I was looking closer at the inside....there was carpet inside that had been glued down. The color looks similar to the Green on the one in your Gallery (kaisermusic). Mine is now painted a metallic green.....

cdkaminsky

Loc.
Pflugerville
pics

Man my camera sucks...I can not get a good pic of the VIN....here is the best I could get...think the humdity here right now is fogging up my lense..hahaha

1 of vin
1 of firewall paint color....(and rust and dirt :) )

Attachments

• zin1.JPG
    zin1.JPG
    22.4 KB · Views: 34
  • paint1.JPG
    paint1.JPG
    26.4 KB · Views: 38