• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1966 Originality... concerned about hurting the car's value?

sk1nw4lk3r

I'm surprising my wife with a Bronco for Christmas.

It's a nicely restored driver quality 66. It's a U15, Turquoise with white top. 6 Banger with a 3 speed on the column. Manual drum, manual steering, barebones truck. No problem.

Here's my questions; If I wanted to make some changes to the vehicle, do I need to be worried about devaluing it?

I want to go Power Disc Brakes and Power Steering. I have an extra 302 4bbl floating around I wouldn't mind putting in.

I've even contemplated going to a C4 (she can drive a stick, but not very well) and doing a small lift (2.5" LUBR) but right now priority is safety. Power Disc brakes is first.

I don't buy cars as investments (more often than not) but I don't want to aggressively devalue a car if I can avoid it.

Will the minor mods hurt the car?

6677ebman

Bronco Guru
I'd put a V8 & auto in it, I believe she would like it better like that. Prob add PS & power disk too. I don't believe it would effect the value much at all

Bronco Junkie

So Cal Broncos
To me, changing brakes and steering and possibly the transmission are not minor mods. Changing the carb is a minor mod. IMO it would hurt the value of the truck.

BRONCOchild

Bronco Guru
If this is your vehicle that you will have for a while and drive because you like it, then do whatever you want. Many of our EBs have gone through many transformations as technology and accessories come to the market.

However, if you are going to resell it in the near future and are more worried about getting your money back, then change very little to nothing.

Blue Bastard

Bronco Guru
I don’t believe the brakes and steering would hurt value. The engine and trans would. The engine and trans swap would require frame modification.

Short of earlier roadsters with all the correct rare parts(eyebrow grill, mirrors, tailgates, bumpers, hub caps, t case shifters, ect.) don’t command premium prices VS. other year EB

In my opinion......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
I would start by installing a dual master cylinder, it’s a minor mod and will make it safer

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
Unless it is a perfect original paint mint Bronco, bolt on and bolt off parts won't hurt the value IMHO. Plus the wife will likely appreciate the drivability improvements. Power disc brakes and power steering would be my first upgrades.

OP
OP
S

sk1nw4lk3r

Thanks for the info!

PDB is happening regardless, the power steering proposes a problem, because it's different components from a 6cyl to V8, so if I'm going to do it, I wanna buy the kit I'm sticking with.

Don't wanna buy a 6cyl kit, then swap to a V8 sooner rather than later... probably plan on the whole swap. I'll be keeping it for awhile. Worst case, I can keep the extra engine and trans on stands in the barn (what's one more drivetrain sitting in my way)

Thanks for all the input guys. I'll post up some pics once the car gets here.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Agreed. What you suggest would only enhance the value unless it's a very early build.
Have you run down the VIN to determine when it was built?

But either way, everything you suggest can be un-done, including the engine frame towers. And using new parts saves wear and tear on any low-mileage originals for later use. To me, simply having the best Bronco it can be and supplying any new owner with all the original take-offs would enhance the value to most. Not all of course, as there are perfectionists interested in original that don't even want to think that a bolt had been removed. Much less some welded-on parts modified.
Luckily for now, the former are the much wider audience than the latter. So if you can look into the future to see what is going to be of more interest to your buyers, go with that feeling.
Here too though, if this is going to be a driver (how often and how long?) and you keep it for a long time, original stuff might just wear out naturally and go away anyway.
Lots of "what-ifs" to your decision.

If you do want to modify more than you want to keep it stock, then it's up to you at that point to commit to saving all the parts you take off. Do you have a shed or the garage space to leave springs and engines sitting around for the next couple of years?
How often do you go through rigs like this? Is it a "drive it a year until we tire of it" thing? Or could you be keeping it for 10 years or more?

As a new owner, you may have seen the sheer inconsistency in pricing for different years and conditions. In the beginning and up at least until recently, new paint sold more Broncos than original parts did. And an original '66 might sell for either $5-10k, or $20-$40k (depending on condition), while a nicely restored plain-Jane '71 sold for $70 grand earlier this year!
A buddy has sold several total customs for $50-$70k as well. Nothing special about their history. Just that they were nice now.

If you let us know that yours is one of the first 50 or so built, was raced in Baja, or owned by Steve McQueen however, all of that might change and all bets are off!;D

Paul

OP
OP
S

sk1nw4lk3r

DirtDonk,

I agree with all of your sentiment. I have been into classic Mustangs for the last 20 years, I am (IMHO) a near expert on values of them, and what is sacrilege to do to what cars. Bought the 70 Bronco a few years ago and have been watching them closely since. Still learning, but I figured as much as you said, so far as the mods I'm doing not being something to destroy the vehicle's value.

I have a nice poly barn and plenty of space to keep extra parts (still have boxes of parts to Mustangs I haven't owned in 12 years. ) so storage is no problem.

I'm going to start with the PDB on it, then when I rebuild the 302, drop it in with a C4 and the power steering. Should make it a nice little cruiser for the wife.

This is the car. It's being shipped in later this week or next.

KOqJiza.jpg

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Making the listed changes to a bone stock '66 will greatly hurt its value as an original '66 Bronco and turn it into another run of the mill EB.

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Making the listed changes to a bone stock '66 will greatly hurt its value as an original '66 Bronco and turn it into another run of the mill EB.

I agree, put on a dual reservoir master cylinder and drive it, that 66 looks beautiful (from the one pic) not only will it hurt the value you will have more money in it

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Personally, If it’s all stock and has had a quality restoration, I think what you are talking about doing will devalue it long term. There are plenty of threads on here where people are checking warranty plate information and vin numbers to verify how original EBs are. Particularly with 66’s.

Chances are that anything you do to it will never be undone. That will turn it into just another Bronco, with boxes of parts that will never be put back on. Kinda like those boxes of mustang parts..... I hate to see nice stock Broncos modified, but that just me.....

I would limit my changes to adding a dual master cylinder. No V8, no lift, keep it as stock and original looking as possible. If you want a lifted V8 with an automatic, then that’s probably what you should have bought.

jagbucket

I would like to add that once you start to modify there are always other parts that need to be changed . for instance the pdb will have issues with wheel fitment and it goes on from there. If it is 100% original keep it that way get another to be a dd, but if not make it how you want

OP
OP
S

sk1nw4lk3r

Hopefully your wife has driven a bronco beforehand. Even with power brakes and steering it's an acquired taste. :)

She's driven my 70 a few times, she has a 78 of her own, and we've owned 20-30 classic Mustangs. She knows what to expect!

ford man

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Leesburg Ga
Personally, If it’s all stock and has had a quality restoration, I think what you are talking about doing will devalue it long term. There are plenty of threads on here where people are checking warranty plate information and vin numbers to verify how original EBs are. Particularly with 66’s.

Chances are that anything you do to it will never be undone. That will turn it into just another Bronco, with boxes of parts that will never be put back on. Kinda like those boxes of mustang parts..... I hate to see nice stock Broncos modified, but that just me.....

I would limit my changes to adding a dual master cylinder. No V8, no lift, keep it as stock and original looking as possible. If you want a lifted V8 with an automatic, then that’s probably what you should have bought.

I second this. I vote keep it stock!

Specracer

+ (however many), Im an original guy. If the truck is currently stock, and a nice clean example, the mods you outline, would substantially devalue the truck to me. They are only original once.

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
Bolt on mods that can easily be undone don't hurt the value in my mind. Repainting a truck that had original paint or cutting quarters is a different matter...