• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Antenna location?

stoker

Did all early Broncos with factory radios have the retractable antenna located in the driver’s fender? I have owned two which had a 1” hole in the passenger side hood with a fixed length antenna. Was this an aftermarket add-on?

Thanks

JAFO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Beaverdam
Installing on the driver's side fender makes more sense to me. I installed mine on the drivers side as the antenna wire reached the radio best. Also, the instruction sheet that came with mine showed it being installed on the drivers side. Bought the OEM style antenna from JBG.

I suspect that the air vent on the passenger side would sort of be in the way of antenna install, as would the heater box. Drivers side gives way more room to work and even then it is rather awkward installing the antenna. On the hood sure seems like an odd location.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My 76 had it on the drivers side. My 77 has it in the passenger side both factory am radios
Maybe somebody knows Maybe somebody in 77 drilled a hole on the wrong fender that's why mine is on the pass side

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
There's a hole in your DS door post and kick panel for the antenna because the antenna was on the DS fender. Unless, of course, those pieces have been replaced.

Attachments

• IMG_5956.jpg
    IMG_5956.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_5954.jpg
    IMG_5954.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
My '73 has the antennae on the passenger side. The photos I have seen of it and its siblings seem to all have them on the passengers side but of course I have seen my share of drivers side fender antennae holes too.

Was it optional as to which side got the antennae?

AFLtCol

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Almost all I've seen are on the driver's side. Seen a couple of 77 models with the antenna on the passenger side.

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
My early 66 has it on the passenger side but it has always been an odd duck.
:cool:

Fallingcedar

Both of mine had drivers fender antennas. Funny thing is that my 75 has a radio delete dash but a factory antenna on the fender. There has to be a story there.

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My '73 has the antennae on the passenger side. The photos I have seen of it and its siblings seem to all have them on the passengers side but of course I have seen my share of drivers side fender antennae holes too.

Was it optional as to which side got the antennae?

My 73 was on the DS as noted. Maybe this needs to be added to the "Mind the P's and Q's" thread.

HB73

My 73 was on the DS as noted. Maybe this needs to be added to the "Mind the P's and Q's" thread.
My 73 had it on the PS fender.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

JAFO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Beaverdam
Note that when it is mounted on the drivers side you can reach out the window while driving to raise the antenna if it has vibrated down. More awkward doing that out the passenger side while driving.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Every Bronco I ever saw had it on the driver's side. Until I bought my '71 which had it on the passenger side.
Since then I've seen many on the passenger side as well. Not sure what's up with that, but it's a good question. And a great suggestion for a thread similar to the "P's and Q's" mentioned.

My first assumption was that it was added. But the truck did come with a radio from the factory and the hole sure looked like a factory made hole. I was always impressed with the hole because I figured it must have been done by someone after the truck was built.
Now I'm not so sure.

But I will say it did not have the factory type of antenna. Just a standard single mast flat base that never fit perfectly. I've had several antennas there since, but eventually figured to put it back to the driver's side when I found a stock one.
Now that I've waited 40 years, they make them new so I don't have to scrounge the yards any more!

Paul

Jaxgtc

Both of mine had drivers fender antennas. Funny thing is that my 75 has a radio delete dash but a factory antenna on the fender. There has to be a story there.

Check your Marti report for the build date, has to be after a Michigan football game. ;-)

bcmbcmbcm

Loc.
Wellington Fl
Hey folks,

I’m installing new fenders without any antenna holes. I have a repop antenna from one of our friendly vendors. Does anyone know the correct location on the fender? Drivers side mine was originally....I didn’t take the measurement though before getting rid of the original fenders. Thanks !

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Here are some pictures of my ‘77 that I posted in an older thread...
276dc94a14e434318c4b40c282e7d0fc.jpg
153f3320b60c699d14fb6b2d977fcbbd.jpg

nsiti

On my '77 the antenna is on the passenger side. The antenna looks to be aftermarket and the base wobbles, so I have bought an electronically retractable antenna I would like to install but my mechanic is too lazy every time I ask him. If anyone has time to comment, how hard is it to replace a fixed antenna with a new retractable one on the passenger side? Thank you.