• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need Alignment Specs

75Bronc

I have stock axles, 3.5” suspension lift, duff long arms, trac bar riser, and custom 1 ton steering knuckle over.. The alignment shop asked if I knew the specs it should be because it is so far from stock. Can you guys give me some numbers to tell the shop? Do the steering bars seem to be at good angles? Seem pretty flat.. thanks for the help!

Rs2guJeoMkVVtiyPJ008hY1y8LwIfAMx6or0F0UdpEx

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/Wamg1DpRyjz2HQkY4DlFNM6DWDDoK21feWeSyjjrGmW

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
You looking for caster or toe-in? I'm on 35s with long arms and a 3 1/2" lift. Mine drives nice with the toe-in at 5/16". I've never messed with caster on mine. I think the wedges on the arms were set for the lift so it uses stock c-bushings

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Good that they're concerned enough to ask, but really the specifications themselves don't necessarily change.
However, since they asked, might as well make some of the changes that we've talked about over the years. And those are:

1. Camber should be between .5 and .75 degrees positive.
Factory spec is 1 to 2, with 1.5 being optimal. Not the best though.

2. Caster should be 4 to 6 degrees positive. But can be anywhere from 2.5 to 9.
Factory spec is 2.75 to 4.25, with 3.5 being optimal

3. Toe-in should be 1/16" to 1/4" with 1/8" being optimal.
Same as factory spec basically, but nowadays the machines use degrees instead of
fractions of an inch. So your tire size will skew the reading.

The alignment guy may not be able to adjust the caster or camber, but they can at least set the toe-in and then you can (and should) experiment from there.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Haha! Yeah, been workin' on that whole scheduling and logging thing.
But if I got paid just for the time spent on the internet, I think I'd be at about the 18cents an hour level by now!
Hmm, maybe I should look more into the hourly lawyer scale you speak of...:cool:

Paul

mtp71174

Not wanting to high jack this post but I am going to. I have a friends truck I am restoring with all the parts he bought it has a 3.5 lift with 7 degree bushings and the caster is a negative 2 degrees. My question is if I install radius arm drop brackets how much will it roll my caster to the positive. And to answer the question of are the c bushings in backwards think about it sl roll the caster to the negative and c bushings installed wrong would roll the number another 7 degrees so logic is they are not in backward.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Was thinking along those lines too. But that does not preclude one half of the bushing being in backwards. That happens too.
But if not, and they are all correctly oriented, then your front axle came with crap for caster from the factory.
Seen that happen too, so can't rule it out completely.

Less common, but still possible is the bushings being wrong in the box.
Did you install them? Happen to look for and verify the markings inside?

What year is the Bronco in question? Is it a Dana 30 or 44?

To your drop bracket question, you will then be at approx 2° positive caster. The brackets are 4 degrees.
But... At 11° of correction, you run the risk of not being able to re-attach the front driveshaft. Or if you can get it bolted up, you might not be able to use 4wd due to vibrations.
Tilting the axle for caster is good, but only up to a point because the diff yoke can handle only so much change.

But as we know (and yours proves out if the bushings are indeed correct), every Bronco is different. You might still have some leeway for pinion angle. Or you might not.

Good luck.

Paul