• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Torque converter

turbotim2

This is probably a dumb question but is there a way to flush out a torque converter? This would be out of the transmission, not while its assembled.

Master Chief

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Do you think it is contaminated? If so, I would either buy a new one or send it out to get cut open and cleaned. I sent mine back to ACC, they not only cleaned it but set the stall to match the engine and gearing in my rig.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
There is no effective home flush for the convertor. Look at some pictures of the inside of a convertor, so many nooks and crannies. They have to come apart to clean debris out of them.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
A rebuilt converter is the way to go. I think the last one I bought was $100. They are like a jet turbine inside I have no idea how you could clean it without taking it apart.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
You are pulling the transmission because there is metal loose inside. Same stuff is inside the convertor. Yes, it is probably working just fine. But that fluid (with metal) will circulate back into your fresh transmission.

The rebuilt convertor isn't for the convertors sake, it is for the transmission.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
You are pulling the transmission because there is metal loose inside. Same stuff is inside the convertor. Yes, it is probably working just fine. But that fluid (with metal) will circulate back into your fresh transmission.

The rebuilt convertor isn't for the convertors sake, it is for the transmission.

Exactly. It sucks to rebuild a transmission twice.