• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cold Weather Clutch Failure

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, there should be a washer and then the cotter pin on the z bar linkage.
There are two rods, one from the clutch pedal down to the z bar, and the other from the z bar to the fork.
This last one has a heavy spring and the adjustment threads.
You may as well check all the cotter pins and washers.
And lube all the moving parts with WD 40.
Good luck

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And locking hubs do just get hard to turn in the cold as well. This is why so many original hubs had their knobs destroyed by too much enthusiasm with pliers and other tools.
Grease gets stiffer, and if any moisture is inside the hub, it freezes. Making moving the knobs very difficult.
Old tired grease is even worse.

Have you serviced the hubs and re-packed the wheel bearings since you've had the Bronco? Any idea when it was last done? It's regular maintenance that does not often get done regularly.

Paul

OP
OP
pipeline010

pipeline010

I wasn't really driving it when it snapped, so everything I needed was still there.

And locking hubs do just get hard to turn in the cold as well. This is why so many original hubs had their knobs destroyed by too much enthusiasm with pliers and other tools.

That was my thought as well. Thought to grab a set of pliers for half a second and thought better of it.

Have you serviced the hubs and re-packed the wheel bearings since you've had the Bronco? Any idea when it was last done? It's regular maintenance that does not often get done regularly.

Paul

I haven't, it literally sits as #1 on my list of things to do tho. My passenger front seal is weeping as well, so when I do tear in there it's going to be a bunch of small(ish) jobs put together to make a large one. Already rebuilt rear brakes, so will redo front ones, new seals, new ujoints if necessary, and the inner/outer wheel bearings, and totally flush/clean the front end.

Skytrooper15

Loc.
Tuscaloosa,Al
Did you try to move the T case shifter as a few people mentioned?Just try to move the shifter handle forward and backwards and you may have to have to your foot on the clutch pedal to sort of push in and out on the pedal while trying to get the T case into another gear.If your T case is that hard to shift in and out of gear and you have a stock shifter you can take the chrome handle off with a small allen wrench and move the white plastic piece a couple of turns counter clockwise and that will let the t case shifter allow for more downward travel and possibly shift easier.Sorry about the late comment I didn't pay attention that there were 2 pages.

OP
OP
pipeline010

pipeline010

Did you try to move the T case shifter as a few people mentioned?Just try to move the shifter handle forward and backwards and you may have to have to your foot on the clutch pedal to sort of push in and out on the pedal while trying to get the T case into another gear.If your T case is that hard to shift in and out of gear and you have a stock shifter you can take the chrome handle off with a small allen wrench and move the white plastic piece a couple of turns counter clockwise and that will let the t case shifter allow for more downward travel and possibly shift easier.Sorry about the late comment I didn't pay attention that there were 2 pages.

thanks for comment. I usually get a ton of responses, I think the forums have realized how helpless I am. ;D but im getting better!

was a broken cotter pin on the linkage (post above). thanks for the help though!

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
Stupid cotter pins.. they don't build anything to last anymore;(