• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best Ball Joints

motomutt

I've been all over the web trying to find a really good ball joint set for my '73 Dana 44. As soon as one person says they are pleased with a brand, three other people had terrible experiences. I'm not gonna quibble over the price. The last time mine were replaced was around 20 years ago. I seldom take the beast out for any serious duty but when I do I don't want a failure. furthermore, I don't want to do this job again in 2 years. There seams to be a lot of brand swapping between boxes. That's a PITA. What brand do I want and where can I get what I'm ordering. Thanks for your $.02 in advance. Mutt

66broncoCT

Contributor
Loc.
Torrington, CT
I just put a D44 under my 66. Read a lot online about different brands. Bought Spicer ball joints. Bronco graveyard had the best price $49 for a pair. They installed fine, I know some other of the brands have problems with fitting the snap rings and stuff. And on the moog brand make sure you don’t get the problem solver line, they are slightly oversized for knuckles that are damaged and if pressed into good bores they will make them oversized.

https://shop.broncograveyard.com/mobile/D44-OE-Spicer-Ball-joints-pair/productinfo/12204/

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I always use Spicer.
But one thing to keep in mind is straight axles are really easy on ball joints. I had over 200K on mine when I was re-gearing the front axle. I told the builder I wanted to replace the ball joints too. He asked why. Yours are still in perfect shape.
I thought that as amazing until he explained to me that ball joints on a straight axle see only linear motion. Sort of like a king pin. Independent axles are tougher on ball joints, with the extra "monkey motion" of the up & down articulation.
Well anyway, don't be too hasty to replace you ball joints. ;)

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Good "best ball joint" thread here from earlier this year.

The blue boot joints noted in that thread can be purchased under the following ACDelco part numbers for about $25 each:
ACDelco #45D2156
ACDelco #45D0070

Tobin

75Bronc

x2 on the Blue Boots.
I am a fan of the blue boot AC Delco ball joints. I have had good luck with them in my dodge cummins as well.

NC-Fordguy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bethel/Greenville NC
I've had good luck with both spicers and moog(same as Napa premiums). However I've never gotten anywhere near 200k miles out of them. 37 in tires with 2.5 in back spaced wheels are likely the reason.

Some vendor/manufacturer that frequents Pirate 4x4 announced a stronger Dana 44 ball joint they were developing several years back. I don't recall it ever coming to fruition nor do I recall who specifically it was.

Digger556

I've been all over the web trying to find a really good ball joint set for my '73 Dana 44. As soon as one person says they are pleased with a brand, three other people had terrible experiences. I'm not gonna quibble over the price. The last time mine were replaced was around 20 years ago. I seldom take the beast out for any serious duty but when I do I don't want a failure. furthermore, I don't want to do this job again in 2 years. There seams to be a lot of brand swapping between boxes. That's a PITA. What brand do I want and where can I get what I'm ordering. Thanks for your $.02 in advance. Mutt

Spicer is the best, hands down.

Avoid Moog Problem Solvers, they are knurled and about .030" oversized. They will stretch your ball joint hole out and you will never get a normal ball joint in there again.

We deal with this all the time at work.

tirewater

Contributor
Loc.
San Francisco Bay Area
As soon as one person says they are pleased with a brand, three other people had terrible experiences.

This was my experience. I ended up using the Moog ball joints, only because it seemed there were more negative experiences with the Spicer ones.

In the end, you probably can't go wrong with either. Don't overthink it too much. :)