• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Wiring gurus wanted - fuel gauge help

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
In theory, it should be as simple as checking the ohms/resistance across the two posts (with the connector unplugged) and a guess as to the amount of gas in the tank.
If the sending unit tests good, it should have somewhere between 9 and 73 ohms. If the tank is half-full, I believe it should show 47 ohms across the posts.

Of course, you could continue the jumper method and run two jumper wires between the now disconnected connector, and the two posts on the sending unit.
I realize that this should not be any different from just plugging it in and turning on the key (you did turn on the key when testing the sender, correct?;);D), but just in case there is something loose in the wiring or on the sender, it might just give you some kind of reading.

If you test the two posts with an ohm-meter though, and come up with infinite resistance, then yes, the sending units are buggered somehow.
Maybe the short-circuit put too much stress on them? Or maybe the floats leaked and they're sitting on the bottom of the tank.
Hope whatever it is is a quick fix.

Congrats on finding the gauges shorted!

Paul

ransil

Bronco Guru
check the grounds near the fuel tanks

how is you body and frame grounded?

I always ground from Battery-Block then add gounds to the frame and body up near the front frame wheel well, welded stud is best