• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

302 price

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Agree. Too much for what you get.
Now, I have not looked in awhile, and maybe the prices have gone up in general. In which case, 450 may not be a long stretch from the $200 I would have thought more fair.

And either one without the heads seems high!

But the only way to know if it's fair or not is to see what others are asking. I'm pretty sure you can find a complete 5.0 with the full EFI setup (long block plus all the goodies) for around $700 or less. In some cases too, literally ready to run!
Even at more than that, it makes the 450 for a bare unknown block with a guarantee that you have to rebuild it like a bad deal.

Paul

Broncobowsher

Total hack
WAY too much!

For that coin I would expect a running engine.
For a rusty short block, non-roller, only good thing is a 1-piece rear main seal, $100 tops. Even then I wouldn't be that interested in it. A wrecked Explorer 5.0 would be a better pick.

Eoth

Bronco Guru
agree with everyone. You can get a complete running roller engine with a 1 month guarantee for less from a yard,

OP
OP
C

chuck1022

Contributor
I have a bunch of crauligslist searches out for Explorers, if I can snag the right one, that is the preferred direction.

Lebe

Loc.
Phx
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/pts/d/ford-50-motor/6608967934.html.

It is a 1984
wants $450

I was looking for a block, I was going to get it machined then start building it in my garage

$450 is a little higher than I want to pay for something I am essentially gambling on.

thoughts

I bought my 98 Explorer 5.0 with 4r70W attached for $1200 from Ford Only junkyard on Indian School & about 35th Ave about 10 years ago (don't know if it is still there). Engine had 87,000 on it and still runs great. Had to rebuild the AT a few years ago.