• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1972-73 owners-mind your P's and Q's

OP
OP
Viperwolf1

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Viper, are you still keeping track of the P’s and Q’s?

Just picked up a 72 that appears to be one of the “orphans” - P89446, titled 72, build date 10/72, T-shift, manual steering, 3-spd, yes light bars, amp temp, DSO 57. I need to check the return line.

I did not read every post on this thread so not sure if this was covered, but a 10/72 build date should have been titled as a 73 correct?

I am and I think I am caught up. Thanks for the nudge.

Turnover to next model year is done in August so your '72 is really a '73. I think the DMV title dating process back in those days was probably more calendar based than model year based.

Attachments

• Bronco VIN Production latest.pdf
    420 KB · Views: 20

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Thanks Viper! Could the discrepancy for the "orphans" be that Ford did a continuation run of 1972 models in October '72 to use up some '72 parts and the intent WAS to sell them as '72 models?? It seems real odd that Ford would go back to the P designation for a few builds.

TX SS

Contributor
Loc.
Houston
I have a 1973 I picked up last year, vin Q66167, build date 11/72, t-shift, automatic transmission, power steering, light bars, no temp, unknown on return line and dso 76.

OP
OP
Viperwolf1

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Thanks Viper! Could the discrepancy for the "orphans" be that Ford did a continuation run of 1972 models in October '72 to use up some '72 parts and the intent WAS to sell them as '72 models?? It seems real odd that Ford would go back to the P designation for a few builds.

I think they all came off the assembly line in sequential order. Remember that trucks on the same line used the same sequence. It would be very difficult to jump back in the sequence for just some models without causing major problems. For some reason the Broncos were assembled enough to get them through the line but not enough to call them complete and get them shipped out. I think they were then parked until whatever caused their delay was fixed and parts were installed.

If you look at the 2nd round of P's you'll notice that all had a manual trans. Probably because the C4 wasn't available back when those Broncos went through the assembly line.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...Turnover to next model year is done in August so your '72 is really a '73.
I think the DMV title dating process back in those days was probably more calendar based than model year based.

I think you had it correct early on about emissions. It wasn't only the fuel-return lines though (as those were not on all Broncos anyway from what I remember), it was EVERYTHING ELSE related to emissions under the hood.
DMV has no say in the matter. No law states that after August they must register all new vehicles in the next model year. The OE tells them when it starts and nobody else. And every manufacturer does not have the same literal cutoff date matching the others. The calendar-based cutoff is Jan 1st of the model year in question.
Of course, they make mistakes often enough, but they don't dictate the year model to the manufacturer. The safety and emissions standards do.
So like I said, I think you had it right with emissions.

Maybe Ford's suppliers could not come up with enough cold-air filter housings. Or EGR intake manifolds, or the valves themselves. Or the carburetors with the proper metering and bowl vents to go to the charcoal canister. Or any of a number of changes.

I'm sure you've seen it, but anyone that looks under the hood of a registered '72 and then a registered '73 (that has not been butchered over the years) would not recognize it as the same vehicle unless they were a gearhead and used to seen such changes take place.
As far as EB's are concerned, it was probably the single largest change under the hood of any model year. There were more and more thingies and hoses each year after, but the changes for '73 were monumental!

It's when the Broncos and F150's had to more closely match the standards of passenger cars, than of the heavier "light" trucks. They waffled back and forth for years, but in '73 the big changes took place.

So again, I think you had it with emissions changes.

Paul

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
No snap ring on the front output shaft? Is the serial number from the tcase somewhere between 165xxxx and 174xxxx? I've documented a handful of those. Yes, I keep track of that stuff too.

How can I tell if there's a snap ring? I don't see one. I have a 9/72 1973 with a T and a D20 serial number of 1683059

Attachments

• IMG-7623.jpg
    IMG-7623.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG-7624.jpg
    IMG-7624.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
Viperwolf1

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
How can I tell if there's a snap ring? I don't see one. I have a 9/72 1973 with a T and a D20 serial number of 1683059

It's deep inside. You can remove the rear bearing retainer and find the numbers on the rear of the front output shaft. 1836224 is a J type shaft without snap ring.

Joe473

I think they all came off the assembly line in sequential order. Remember that trucks on the same line used the same sequence. It would be very difficult to jump back in the sequence for just some models without causing major problems. For some reason the Broncos were assembled enough to get them through the line but not enough to call them complete and get them shipped out. I think they were then parked until whatever caused their delay was fixed and parts were installed.

If you look at the 2nd round of P's you'll notice that all had a manual trans. Probably because the C4 wasn't available back when those Broncos went through the assembly line.
Having worked in an assembly plant many things could cause a truck to come out of sequence during the course of assembly. The trucks were born when the vin and buck tag were produced prior to the truck getting welded together. Buck tags could be held back waiting for optional paints accessories or in some cases special or "show" handling. Vins/buck tags out of body shop even in the 90s were out of order. Before they even got washed ecoated and sealed.
All plants. Had "accumulators" areas where trucks could accumulate between assembly areas to keep flows steady and not jam up if one area was moving slow. They could be released and held by the supervisor to facilitate worflow. This impacted order.

Quality concerns for example.

Final metal could easily pull a truck off for additional metal finishing, fit, or other quality issues.

E coat primer issues could cause delay.

"Re tagging" re bucking due to damage

Paint imperfections

Optional part availability could delay final assembly.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Viper, I looked for the fuel return and couldn't find any sign of it. But the fuel system has been repaired/replaced/modified so I can't say for certain whether it had one to begin with.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks. Does it have any of the '73 stuff that are mentioned? Light bars on the dash, automatic transmission, power steering for example?

Paul

ClintEastwood

Loc.
London, Ontario Can
it has power steering
manual transmission
lights on the dash

it has a strange stripe kit as well too and no ranger badge but I think that's common for this trim combo for the year(pre ranger i was told) I think the marti was 1 of 147 with this paint/trim code

would it have been dressed with full ranger trim inside and carpet etc?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well, "normally" it might have been. But '73 was the first year for a Ranger I believe, and very early ones (which yours could certainly be) mostly came without the glovebox door Ranger emblem. They often had normal color dash panel and pad, but should have at least had the cloth seats and door panels.
Carpet I'm not sure about (not sure about any of it in fact!) but it might have had the full floor mats as well, like the Explorers often came with.

There are some real Ranger/Explorer gurus here though, so maybe they'll be able to tell us.

Paul

jl1000r

1st bronco!!
f80f3916ae3f6f99f03d10ebc0fd7f53.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thaks jl. Is it registered as a '73? Should be, but I'm just checking.
Lighted control indicator bars on the dash?
Auto or manual trans (assume manual because I don't see auto listed)?
T-shift or J-shift transfer case?
Stock under the hood, or heavily modified? If stock, how is it laid out? Cold air intake, coolant recovery tank and all that?

Thanks

Paul

jl1000r

Yes,registered as 73,lighted bars,G is automatic,jcase, actually has a fiberglass tub now..

OP
OP
Viperwolf1

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Yes,registered as 73,lighted bars,G is automatic,jcase, actually has a fiberglass tub now..

Now I'm particularly interested in the transfer case. It may be one of the first J cases. Can you post the serial and BM numbers from the tag?