• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1972-73 owners-mind your P's and Q's

gunnibronco

Loc.
Gardnerville, NV
Paint code is "X". The Marti Report calls it Light Goldenrod. But I've seen some old marketing materials that call it Durango Tan.

Right, it's the color in all E/S Ford advertising from what I've seen. There are a lot of Hot Ginger Metallic ones too. Seems other colors were available, but in very limited numbers. I have a Candyapple Red E/S that is 1 of 141 made.

crawln68

Bronco Guru
Right, it's the color in all E/S Ford advertising from what I've seen. There are a lot of Hot Ginger Metallic ones too. Seems other colors were available, but in very limited numbers. I have a Candyapple Red E/S that is 1 of 141 made.

Nice! Have you ever seen or heard of an original 72 E/S that came Blue from the factory?

gunnibronco

Loc.
Gardnerville, NV
Nice! Have you ever seen or heard of an original 72 E/S that came Blue from the factory?

Just rumors and hearsay. I expect there were. I've seen a Marti Report indicating 60 were Wintergreen. Someone posted a Maroon one for sale, and said his Marti indicated there were 70 made. I'd bet the blue ones number closer to the red ones.

73bronco302

I have a 73
Blue door jamb sticker says
Date 12/72
GVWR 4900
Number is R00xxx.
GAWR:Front 2150 Rear 2946
D20 with stock J shifter.
Manual 3spd
Factory white (not sure what color white, need to check glove box?)

73bronco302

yes, I will join and add photos.

Knee deep in frame and beginning to get to work on axels, suspension, fixing frame, likely powdercoating of frame, etc....

After my big chop-a-thon, right now she is rolling with frame and wheels/axels/suspension only. I have old photos before I chopped off most of the tub. (basically need a new inner tub from core support to under seats. But lucky me I bought and flew to scranton PA to get those two forty year old original ford NOS left and right rear qtr panels from door jam to tail light all in one five foot piece (from teterboro new jersey ford distributor center to scranton PA dealer Kofrner Ford Inc dated Sept. 1979 with green shipping label and original ford boxes), plus NOS right and left fenders and right wheel tub, all ready to go once I get my new tub.) Also have pristine doors. hood. original grill. original windshield. original tailgate. etc...

One day she will be a resurrected LUBR, and back to factory white, stock wheels with 31s. Bought the TBP 2.5" lift kit and WH 1" body mount lift kit.

The only modern item going in for a year or two is a 302 engnine from a mid 90s mustang with my AOD. Then my stock 302 will be rebuilt and probably mated to a C4 instead of my original three speed on the tree.

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have a 73
Blue door jamb sticker says
Date 12/72
GVWR 4900
Number is R00xxx.
GAWR:Front 2150 Rear 2946
D20 with stock J shifter.
Manual 3spd
Factory white (not sure what color white, need to check glove box?)

Interesting that the door jamb sticker was blue. My 9/72 build 1973 T shifter had a white sticker. When Marti shipped me a replacement he shipped me a blue one. I called and we talked about it. He said he thought they were blue like Mustangs, but I photographed my original and it was white. Maybe faded? Marti stated that they were white in some years and sent me a replacement white one. This is a picture of the original.

Attachments

• IMG_4759.jpg
    IMG_4759.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 39

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
All three of mine are blue. A '68, a '71 and a '79.
I've seen plenty of white ones too though, so not sure if it was a rigidly held to color, or if they just used what was available, or changed them back and forth now and then for other reasons. Could be they were trying to figure out legalities for different states and federal regulations and were just changing to suit the fickle wind.

Paul

LUBr LuvR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Interesting that the door jamb sticker was blue. My 9/72 build 1973 T shifter had a white sticker. When Marti shipped me a replacement he shipped me a blue one. I called and we talked about it. He said he thought they were blue like Mustangs, but I photographed my original and it was white. Maybe faded? Marti stated that they were white in some years and sent me a replacement white one. This is a picture of the original.

I've seen plenty of white ones too though, so not sure if it was a rigidly held to color, or if they just used what was available, or changed them back and forth now and then for other reasons. Could be they were trying to figure out legalities for different states and federal regulations and were just changing to suit the fickle wind.

Paul

The build date on mine is 9/27/1972 and is titled as a ‘72. The door jamb sticker is white, as is the one on the ‘74. Originally sold in CA and TX.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Paul

Paul:

What kind of a sticker does your '68 have? Ford didn't start with the VIN stickers until '70 on Broncos. Does yours have one?

Todd Z.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Correct. Nothing special and just regular for the '68 model year.
It's just a basic info sticker. I forget what all it's got on it, but likely just the basic "certification label" in a smaller format, without the VIN info on it.

But it's blue!
(but now I'll have to go out and look to make sure I'm not lyin' and dyin')

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What kind of a sticker does your '68 have? Ford didn't start with the VIN stickers until '70 on Broncos.
Correct. Nothing special and just regular for the '68 model year. It's just a basic info sticker.
But it's blue!
(but now I'll have to go out and look to make sure I'm not lyin' and dyin')

Been meaning to come back to this since a day or so later. Turns out I was a lyin' and a dyin' after all.
It's not blue, but silver. And I forgot to take a pic too, but I'm sure many have seen the type.
Sorry for the temporary misinformation.

Paul

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Been meaning to come back to this since a day or so later. Turns out I was a lyin' and a dyin' after all.
It's not blue, but silver. And I forgot to take a pic too, but I'm sure many have seen the type.
Sorry for the temporary misinformation.

happens to the best of us..