• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1971 Stroppe Baja-Rod Hall/Josh Hall

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Todd is correct, it would be an ARA unit. Basicly a kit back in the day. Bruce told me that Harold Allen was a "complete Baja Bronco fanatic " back in the day. If you think about it moving the heaterbox over isn't that big of a deal - I'd have been more excited about the power steering install. Or Stroppe shooting Imron with no mask. lol. But Bruce did such cool things as fab the cages and an anything you needed in that realm. Cool that he installed the AC. Must have liked that young HA. :)

OP
OP
75Denver

75Denver

Todd is correct, it would be an ARA unit. Basicly a kit back in the day. Bruce told me that Harold Allen was a "complete Baja Bronco fanatic " back in the day. If you think about it moving the heaterbox over isn't that big of a deal - I'd have been more excited about the power steering install. Or Stroppe shooting Imron with no mask. lol. But Bruce did such cool things as fab the cages and an anything you needed in that realm. Cool that he installed the AC. Must have liked that young HA. :)

So I take it that Imron was a bit toxic for CA standards?;) I'm not sure if HA was the Regional Sales Mngr for Sony Car Audio at the time but he was REALLY big into music and had a huge 8-Track collection. I was SUPER excited to hear that he added the PS after the fact. Can you image some Joe Blow off the street trying to make that kit work?! Anyway, all this talk of Stroppes makes me really want to get it in the garage and say farewell to the '69.

House

Minutia Militia
Wow, cool story Brody!
Hmmm, I wonder if BE or HA knew JFP???

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What my friend CH here is saying is maybe original owner of Brodys Baja or Bruce may remember John F. Porter, the owner of Houses Kit Baja, who took it to Stroppes in '73-74 and was also a Baja Bronco fanatic. JFP later owned my old "Travel Trailer Baja" after selling Houses Kit in '80. Crazy history here folks. I've already asked BE and he doesn't remember, nor does WS...but maybe HA. HA and JFP were closer in age, youngins at the time.

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well, basicly all paint that is not red cool aid is outlawed here, so thats a CA thing.

I can imagine and just saw my FIRST non-Stroppe installed Stroppe PS a few weeks ago. Really bad. Box moved on frame, boooger welds, but all the right parts and orange box with Stroppe sticker. Didn't weld the top gussett on right either....inner fender trim all goofy, etc. No wonder.

The 69 is cool, but yah, see if you can get that ol' Baja running/driving! I need to PM you about brakes later....sorry for delay.

Andrew
So I take it that Imron was a bit toxic for CA standards?;) I'm not sure if HA was the Regional Sales Mngr for Sony Car Audio at the time but he was REALLY big into music and had a huge 8-Track collection. I was SUPER excited to hear that he added the PS after the fact. Can you image some Joe Blow off the street trying to make that kit work?! Anyway, all this talk of Stroppes makes me really want to get it in the garage and say farewell to the '69.

andyp

Contributor
What a phone call. Amazing story and awesome history.
Kind of cool side note for me anyway - my Baja was also sold through Kott and Smolar
Thanks for posting

OP
OP
75Denver

75Denver

What my friend CH here is saying is maybe original owner of Brodys Baja or Bruce may remember John F. Porter, the owner of Houses Kit Baja, who took it to Stroppes in '73-74 and was also a Baja Bronco fanatic. JFP later owned my old "Travel Trailer Baja" after selling Houses Kit in '80. Crazy history here folks. I've already asked BE and he doesn't remember, nor does WS...but maybe HA. HA and JFP were closer in age, youngins at the time.

If/When I speak to HA, I'll ask about JFP. Was he ever involved with Stroppe's shop or the other outfit that House's Baja is linked to (can't remember but a catalog company?)?

What a phone call. Amazing story and awesome history.
Kind of cool side note for me anyway - my Baja was also sold through Kott and Smolar
Thanks for posting

Thank you! Your Baja...as in the '73 or '71? If the '71, how many from that year went through Kott & Smolar's lot?

House

Minutia Militia
If/When I speak to HA, I'll ask about JFP. Was he ever involved with Stroppe's shop or the other outfit that House's Baja is linked to (can't remember but a catalog company?)

That would be awesome Brody, thanks. John F. Porter was a young black Air Force Flight Instructor that frequented Stroppe's shop and off road races South of the border.

andyp

Contributor
Thank you! Your Baja...as in the '73 or '71? If the '71, how many from that year went through Kott & Smolar's lot?[/QUOTE]

My 71.
I sold the 73 last year. The 73 came through Downey Ford.

OP
OP
75Denver

75Denver

Wow, cool story Brody!
Hmmm, I wonder if BE or HA knew JFP???

Well House, no dice. I talked to HA before running out the door and threw out all ties of JFP to him. Unfortunately, their paths never crossed. Sorry man.

Good news! He was able to surface some original pics and the original brochure. Sadly but understandably, he could only mail me copies and not the originals. He still has too many fond memories to let go of the true pieces. Better than nothing!!;D. Excited to see what's on the way. Keep you posted

House

Minutia Militia
Well House, no dice. I talked to HA before running out the door and threw out all ties of JFP to him. Unfortunately, their paths never crossed. Sorry man.

Bummer, THANKS for asking him though!

OP
OP
75Denver

75Denver

After all attempts of saving my laptop from a hard drive crash, I learned a valuable lesson (costly as well). BACK EVERYTHING UP! I can finally type on a keyboard and not my iPhone.

Here are some pics I received a while back from HA. Really cool stuff! It also settles the wheel debate between HA & RH/JH. Turns out I'll be sticking with the chrome steelies. The pics of my Stroppe is within the first year of him owning and changing out the interior.

For those with great eyes and more historical analysis, who's the manufacturer of the AC unit? If it's there, it's very compact. The extra pics are for your viewing pleasure.

Attachments

• IMG_0298.jpg
    IMG_0298.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_0302.jpg
    IMG_0302.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_0300.jpg
    IMG_0300.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_0232.jpg
    IMG_0232.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_0231.jpg
    IMG_0231.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_0233.jpg
    IMG_0233.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_0230.jpg
    IMG_0230.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_0301.jpg
    IMG_0301.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 125

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Those are great pics! My eyes are really bad because I can't even see the unit under the dash :). Cool shot with Harold pointing to his name on Pony. Love the personalized plate on the Mark V - that could be taken a bunch of ways!

Todd Z.

House

Minutia Militia
Cool pics, thanks for sharing!
Looks like your stickers may have been originally RWB?
Also looks like no chrome around your markers. Wonder if that was personalization also?

bbolander

I'm surprised to see Harold Allen's story. I didn't know his connection to Stroppe Bronco history. He was the Ford Public Affairs rep on our Fab Fords committee for a few years after I joined that committee in 1995. Then he moved on and John Clinard took his place.

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
B, thanks for sharing all of these photos. Excellent history to have on your BajA. It really looks great with the orange houndstooth inserts. I don't think your AC is in the pics yet. Great work!

OP
OP
75Denver

75Denver

Those are great pics! My eyes are really bad because I can't even see the unit under the dash :). Cool shot with Harold pointing to his name on Pony. Love the personalized plate on the Mark V - that could be taken a bunch of ways!

Todd Z.

Well, you and Andrew on are the same page as I. I can't see anything but HA swore the interior pic showed the AC. If so, it's one of the most low-profile units I've ever seen;). Oh, and the plate...I must admit, I read it the "other" way first.

Those pictures are pure gold !

Thanks Jack. This history hunt is more enjoyable that a file folder full of receipts. Though that would still be awesome to have.

Cool pics, thanks for sharing!
Looks like your stickers may have been originally RWB?
Also looks like no chrome around your markers. Wonder if that was personalization also?

Great eye! I didn't even notice that! I saw the side markers and wondered why they were missing since it has all the extra brightworks.

I'm surprised to see Harold Allen's story. I didn't know his connection to Stroppe Bronco history. He was the Ford Public Affairs rep on our Fab Fords committee for a few years after I joined that committee in 1995. Then he moved on and John Clinard took his place.

I didn't catch that he was part of FF first hand but it makes sense now since he referenced the event a couple times in our conversation.

B, thanks for sharing all of these photos. Excellent history to have on your BajA. It really looks great with the orange houndstooth inserts. I don't think your AC is in the pics yet. Great work!

If/When I talk to HA, I'll get a confirmation on the AC (pre or post-interior changes). I agree on the interior. I'm not a fan of inserts but this one really does work. I've been hunting for the correct houndstooth but all the ones I've found are just barely off in pattern or color.

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2018/...rod-hall-wont-start-the-baja-1000/?refer=news

RodHall-970x647.jpg

For the first time in its 51-year history, Baja 1000 runs without Rod Hall

Racing Baja in the Sixties took place at a far different pace than today’s races. One could get lost a dozen times driving used four-wheel-drive rigs and somehow still finish in the points. Rod Hall would know: He ran the first iteration of what is known today as the Baja 1000 and went on to compete in every one of the 50 runnings of the race, a streak that he will break this week after declining to enter the 51st Baja 1000.

“I’m the only guy that hasn’t graduated yet,” Hall told SCORE International in a video on his accomplishments. “In the beginning, it was just an adventure.”

In 1967, Hall, a Californian already deep into the local off-roading scene, decided to participate in the inaugural National Off-Road Racing Association Mexican 1000. He and his pal, Larry Minor, went in together on a stock Jeep CJ-5 and made it from Tijuana to La Paz using only a compass and a dim sense of where they were headed.

“There were no signs saying ‘La Paz this way,'” Hall said. “We had no idea where La Paz was, so we figured we’d turn down this little road, and there it was.”

In those days, finishing the race was an accomplishment in itself, but Hall returned the following year and soon began to develop his own strategies for the race.

“We had good competition in those days, so I learned how to win,” he told SCORE. “I was never a fast guy, but I did learn that you don’t go any slower than you have to. It was in those slower areas that I learned how to race.”

He also proved a quick learner. In 1969, he took the overall race win in a Bill Stroppe-built Ford Bronco. While that proved his only overall win at the Baja 1000, he went on to take class wins 25 times over the next 50 years.

(While some sources claim Hall’s 1969 win was the only time a four-wheel-drive vehicle took the overall win in the Baja 1000, others — notably, Parnelli Jones in 1971 in the tube-frame Big Oly Bronco — have done it since. However, Hall’s 1969 win may have been the only overall win by a factory-chassis four-wheel-drive vehicle, for what that’s worth.)

Hall went on to participate in off-road races around the world as well, but every October — save for 1974, when the race was canceled — he returned to Baja to compete in what would morph from NORRA’s Mexican 1000 into SCORE’s Baja 1000. Over the last quarter century or so, he remained competitive by fielding Humvees in the race, though, for the 50th running of the race last year, he had his 1969 race-winning Bronco restored for another trip down the peninsula.

These days, with virtually indestructible tube-frame racing rigs and GPS, Hall has said the race “is totally different. The tech today is for young people, and I admire the way they work at it. It enables them to go fast all the time.”

According to the Off-Road Motorsports Hall of Fame, which inducted Hall in 2005, Hall, now in his 80s, “is taking it easy these days, enjoying visits from family and friends.”