• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What's wrong with my gas tank?

tommyg

Contributor
So, I started up the Bronco yesterday morning, the gas gauge was showing below E which was very odd because it wasn't that low when I parked it.

Nervously drove down to the gas station, and made it thankfully. The stock tank took 11.9 gallons so it was definitely empty. Drove down the rode to a convenience store, left the engine running with my son in the truck. When I came out, I noticed that gas was raining down from the top of the tank. Nervously drove home and parked it in the garage.

Any idea what the issue could be?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Probably a rubber hose has rotted out. There are bits on the filler neck and fill vent, and depending on year various evaporative emissions hoses.

At this point start looking for anything excessively clean. Gasoline is a great solvent and tends to clean the leaks.

OP
OP
tommyg

tommyg

Contributor
it's coming from the top of the tank, which is odd, literally raining down. I guess I'll just have to take it out to figure it out. Tank is only a few years old. I guess an excuse to upgrade to a 23 gallon tank.

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Yes, well, before you do the 23 gallon tank be sure to read EVERYTHING on this forum about 23 gallon tanks. There are some "gotchas" that will get you if you haven't been reading all the memos, so to speak. I didn't and hadn't and was gotten on a couple of issues.

ENDLIFE

I know my 23-gallon tank is a distance blessing and a clearance curse. However, the tank guard helps with rock issues, but I have not had that many tank slams since going to 37's.

OP
OP
tommyg

tommyg

Contributor
didn't know that, thanks for the head's up.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I think you need to investigate a littler further. I don't see how a leak on top of your tank would drain the tank. You must have fuel injection with a return line if it is leaking like that while running. Drop the tank and find the real problem. Buy the best hose you can especially if it is on top of the tank. I use marine line in critical areas.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Is this a '77 Bronco? Even if it is, the only thing up top is a vent line. And if not, then there is nothing on the top of the tank to begin with unless it's already an aftermarket tank, or EFI pump install.
The sending unit and fuel pickup on the regular stock steel tanks is facing the front.

And as said, no way to drain the tank to empty just from a top leak.

My tank leaks right where yours does. But it's an Aero 23g tank with Ford factory EFI quick-connect fittings. Leaking out of the return line, so figure it's an o-ring issue at this point.

But it's not pouring out either. Just a heavy drip.

Good luck. Let us know what you've got and what you end up doing to fix it.

Thanks

Paul

charlie6976

Loc.
Grand Coulee WA
So, I started up the Bronco yesterday morning, the gas gauge was showing below E which was very odd because it wasn't that low when I parked it.

Nervously drove down to the gas station, and made it thankfully. The stock tank took 11.9 gallons so it was definitely empty. Drove down the rode to a convenience store, left the engine running with my son in the truck. When I came out, I noticed that gas was raining down from the top of the tank. Nervously drove home and parked it in the garage.

Any idea what the issue could be?

Why would you park in the garage if you have a gas leak? :eek:%)