• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ball joint issue

Remos69

Contributor
Loc.
SW Florida
How do you seat the bearing for the lower (under) side of the ball joint bearings. I stopped for today and started drinking beer as I ran out of curse words and ideas! Beer is not a bad thing, especially on Friday, but I want to finish the front end rebuild and start on the transfer case.

Attac

Contributor
To be more exact place corner of floor jack under ball joint but not on grease fitting and jack it up a little until it catches so you can tighten it. Get it snug then tighten top and then tighten bottom.
Chuck.

OP
OP
Remos69

Remos69

Contributor
Loc.
SW Florida
All I have is a frame and motor, tried that along with a punch, ball joint C clamp, no help. Sorry did not post that earlier.

Attac

Contributor
If you have a chain hook it under jack and over the top of the C then jack it up. Gently. Once it catches it should hold. Like a spindle collet on milling machine
Chuck

gremlin

Back the upper center sleeve out tighten top nut then tighten lower nut. remove top nut reinstall center sleeve.

OP
OP
Remos69

Remos69

Contributor
Loc.
SW Florida
Thanks Chuck, it worked. Now that it is assembled without the steering linkage, how tight should the knuckles turn, they can be moved by hand, but it is a bit of a push pull.

Attac

Contributor
There was just a thread here about that. Let me see if I can find it. It was something like 15-20 pounds to move.
Chuck

Attac

Contributor
Just found this from another thread where Dirtdonk answered

I can't find my spec on the king-pin bearings at the moment, but the ball-joint style is not to exceed 28 lbs on a pull scale, or something like that.
Just came up the other day in a link to an old discussion we'd had here, but I don't recall the exact measurement.
Something like between 15 and 28 lbs is acceptable. Too tight and your steering will be tight feeling. And back then, with just manual steering, this would have been very noticeable.

Good luck. I'll try to find some early specifications. But in the meantime, back to the top of the page and maybe someone else recalls the correct adjustments.
And more importantly, what to do about it!

Paul
[/COLOR]

OP
OP
Remos69

Remos69

Contributor
Loc.
SW Florida
So I have 17lbs on a pull scale using the old shims. I think I will let it go at that.....

Thanks again!

OP
OP
Remos69

Remos69

Contributor
Loc.
SW Florida
Finishing up the differerential rebuild tomorrow when the pinion shims come in then on to the transfer case.