• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Windshield to hinge sealing question.

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
I removed my windshield frame and removed the welded on hinge during my build. I have everything painted now and am ready to reassemble. I have a stainless steel hinge that I drilled both sides so it is removable from the tub and the windshield frame.
My question is: Should I put silicone or some other sealant on both sides of the hinge where it mounts to the frame and tub before I bolt it down? I do have a new rubber gasket to go in the middle of the hinge but I am sure water will find its way around the top and bottom if I don't seal it.
Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
As always, Thanks in advance!

OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
Thanks bronkenn. I appreciate the reply. Is there a go to sealant that you would use or just use some type of outdoor type silicone?

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
I would think a good clear silicone sealer would work fine. Easy to clean up so you wouldn't see where it squeezes out.

Hozr

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oly, WA
I thought the rubber gasket went between the hinge and cowl? That's where the factory rubber was on my 67 when I rebuilt it. The gap in the middle of the hinge is too big to be filled by the thin rubber gasket. I had to use 1/4" + weather stripping there to seal it up.

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey Steve. Same situation here in the 603. I bought some heavy rubber tape to use as a gasket between hinge and cowl and hinge and windshield. I think it was like 1 mm thick or so. Can dig it out of the to install pile and text you the part number.

I tried to keep it thin but also not go with the adhesive aspects of tube sealant

Hank

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Package was easier to locate than I thought....

3d37f5c20ccfa76abd1cc8b7bf52a8b6.jpg

OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
Right on! Thanks Hank, I appreciate it! I will hunt some down and give it a shot. Looks to be a little cleaner than sealant for sure.
Have a good one Sir!

jonpblewis@yaho

Loc.
San Diego, CA
Yeah your going to want to get something in between the hing and bronco steel. I used some grey Great Stuff gasket maker. I also replaced the hing and screwed it on as well. I used some button heads to attach the hing. I should have used counter sink with taper heads. I think Ill have to change them because the rubber won't compress to allow the the windshield to close all the way. It dose seem like the rubber would be a problem even with counter sunk screws. Has anyone had trouble compressing that seal? Dose the fat bead side of the rubber go to the inside / knuckle side of hinge? I was thinking of heating the rubber up hot in a toaster oven then placing it and crushing it closed.

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
I thought the rubber gasket went between the hinge and cowl? That's where the factory rubber was on my 67 when I rebuilt it. The gap in the middle of the hinge is too big to be filled by the thin rubber gasket. I had to use 1/4" + weather stripping there to seal it up.

Mine is a 72 with the hinge welded to the cowl and the windshield frame, it had a rubber gasket between both sides of the hinge. Ken

Last edited:
OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
Thanks for the replies! I did counter sink the holes and have the right screws as well. The Right Stuff in grey would match the paint as well, I will check that out too.
Thanks for the links as well!

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Well after 10 + years you may have helped me on why mine still leaks. i Thought I had sealed mine everywhere I could silicone .. but water comes in a light sprinkle .

OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
Nothing like a little rain in the cab. I just want mine to be controlled by me and not something I forgot to seal. I just repaired rust for the last 4 years , I am ready to enjoy the fruits of my labor. In a dry setting of course!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Even though you can clean it off most of the exposed surfaces, I like using paintable sealer when doing stuff like that.
In all three locations in my opinion too. Between the top plate and the frame, between bottom plate and the cowl, AND in addition to the rubber seal in-between.

Putting it with the seal in-between keeps all water out of that area and won't let it get anywhere near the cowl anymore.
You'd want to make sure the frame is lined up perfectly and support it in position, so that the door frames line up and all that. But it should be pretty straightforward.

Paul

OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
Thanks Paul.
I have a soft top so I guess I will wait until I get my cage installed to do the seal in the middle. I have a new seal, I am glad you mentioned sealer on that as well. I will definitely add some there when I get to that point.
Thanks for the reply!