• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1999 Mountaineer 200k???

wsager

What would you guys plan on doing to a 1999 Mountaineer's 5.0 and 4r70w for a swap? It has 200k miles on it but runs well. I've heard you can put a lot of miles on the 5.0 , but what about the 4r70w? It's a 2 wheel drive so I would have to pull it apart anyway for the adapter. They're asking less than a grand for the running truck.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
1998 through 2001 are the years for the stronger 4R70W transmissions.

Since you are going to need to take it part of the way apart anyway why not rebuild it?

I would use a good OBD2 scan tool while it is still running in the Mountaineer to check for codes.
Then either look in the spark plug holes with a fiber optic inspection camera or buy new head gaskets then pull the heads and inspect the cylinder walls.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
If it was my choice I would tear down the motor and refresh it but I would not rebuild it unless I absoutly had to. New main and rod bearings, ball hone the bores and rering the old pistons, new gaskets and seals. Have the valves reground and valve stem seals, new timing chain and oil pump. New freeze plugs, clean and repaint and use it.

Bore taper and coolant corrosion will tell you what you can get away with.

OP
OP
W

wsager

So, if I rebuild the trans myself (I hope) and refresh the motor as indicated, would this be a better path than paying 1000-2000 more on a truck with closer to 100k miles?

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
So, if I rebuild the trans myself (I hope) and refresh the motor as indicated, would this be a better path than paying 1000-2000 more on a truck with closer to 100k miles?

I don't know what they sell for where you live, but it should not cost that much for one with low mileage.
For the difference to be that much where I live, they would be paying me to take the higher mileage one.

You don't need one with a good exterior.
You don't need one with a good interior.

Runs good, shifts gears.

The Explorer/Mountaineer is a 300,000 mile between rebuilds vehicle if well maintained.