• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Possible Fuel Tank mass buy for East coast

OP
OP
J

Joe473

Wow!! That was a lot of PM's today. We are at possibly 13 tanks right now. I will do my best to get out a spreadsheet by the weekend with some shipping groupings I am in NJ and so far the majority are in NH. For those in other parts of the country Yes you can get in on the base pricing but shipping would probably be higher for just one or two tanks to an area. After I email spreadsheet we can firm up all pricing and options before final committment.

There are some questions out there. If anyone has a link to a thread about an aero EFI install possibly from a Norcal bronco guy please post it up. I will work on getting more info and pics up here as well.

For my sanity and to avoid dragging this out too long I am going to close this out friday 11:59 pm or at 20 tanks max. Whichever comes first. Some may back out based on shipping and questions still to be answered so send a pm either way.

If there is significant additional interest and someone else willing to step up and coordinate another mass buy later in the year I would be more than happy to help get you started.

Thanks
Joe

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Wow!! That was a lot of PM's today. We are at possibly 13 tanks right now. I will do my best to get out a spreadsheet by the weekend with some shipping groupings I am in NJ and so far the majority are in NH. For those in other parts of the country Yes you can get in on the base pricing but shipping would probably be higher for just one or two tanks to an area. After I email spreadsheet we can firm up all pricing and options before final committment.

There are some questions out there. If anyone has a link to a thread about an aero EFI install possibly from a Norcal bronco guy please post it up. I will work on getting more info and pics up here as well.

For my sanity and to avoid dragging this out too long I am going to close this out friday 11:59 pm or at 20 tanks max. Whichever comes first. Some may back out based on shipping and questions still to be answered so send a pm either way.

If there is significant additional interest and someone else willing to step up and coordinate another mass buy later in the year I would be more than happy to help get you started.

Thanks
Joe

Joe,

What are your EFI questions?
I have done two Aero EFI tank installs, working on a 3rd, and coordinated the last two Norcal mass Buys.
Doug

OP
OP
J

Joe473

Are both capacity options for trucks with a body lift? Trying not to do one just yet.
Yes, or brackets shipped loose to weld on in field. Shoot me email address. Going to send more details via group email.

trekgurl

yes, we can go together on the shipping,,, it will give me excuse to ride east :)

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
Interested... sent a PM

Your shop may be a better place for delivery migs, but again, I am certainly willing to be the central shipping point if we need to do that. You, Art and my two puts this at 40%. I checked with tasker and he is good for now. Anyone touch base with Dave?

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Here are some pictures of the tank that I installed in my 77. I had the mounting brackets delivered loose so I could mount them myself, taking advantage of the factory threaded holes in the 77 frame. The tank has a double layer where the brackets mount.

The instructions say put the tank together on the ground and then extend a wire to the sending unit wire on the frame. You then roll the tank to simulate-check tank level with gauge movement. It (fuel float level arm) will have to be bent.

The (in-tank) fuel pump and sock is for a 88-93 Mustang, 88 liters per hour standard replacement pump. I used the same pump for my 1998 Explorer install in my 68 Bronco. The rod that the pump is mounted to does not show the stainless hose clamps holding the pump in place. The rod is the return line. You will need EFI fuel hose to make the pump connection, with EFI type hose clamps. Apparently EFI fuel hose is rated to be submersed. (So far no one has reported an issue) You do have to check for clearance between the sock and the tank floor, you want about an 1/8 > 1/4" clearance, not touching. The EFI tanks have a boxed in area on the floor so that fuel is available regardless of what angle you are at. No pump starvation.

Buy a quality brand pump! No budget priced O'Reilly's Chinese brands. I use Bosch and Nipondenso based on my experience... This is the last thing I want to replace when I am away from home...

There was one guy that had a clearance issue with the tank mounting brackets, the tank top bottomed out against the body before the brackets contacted the frame. He was able to use some 1/4 spacers made from a cutting board like material (but denser) that he found at Tap plastics here in CA. He was able to shim it down. Aero was apologetic and was willing to redo the brackets, but shipping and down time killed that Idea. He went with the shims and there have been many hours of wheeling without issue...

Doug

(The wood shims tapped to the tank is so that I could center the tank in the factory frame space)

Attachments

• EFI Pump1.JPG
    EFI Pump1.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 127
  • EFI Pump2.JPG
    EFI Pump2.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 117
  • EFI Tank1.JPG
    EFI Tank1.JPG
    125.8 KB · Views: 137
  • EFI Tank2.JPG
    EFI Tank2.JPG
    135.4 KB · Views: 117
  • EFI Tank3.JPG
    EFI Tank3.JPG
    122.3 KB · Views: 108
  • EFI Tank4.JPG
    EFI Tank4.JPG
    145.3 KB · Views: 110

Slednut10

Contributor
Guru? That's funny!
Your shop may be a better place for delivery migs, but again, I am certainly willing to be the central shipping point if we need to do that. You, Art and my two puts this at 40%. I checked with tasker and he is good for now. Anyone touch base with Dave?

Just texted Dave, and he is staying with the stocker for now.

ransil

Bronco Guru
Here are some pictures of the tank that I installed in my 77. I had the mounting brackets delivered loose so I could mount them myself, taking advantage of the factory threaded holes in the 77 frame. The tank has a double layer where the brackets mount.

The instructions say put the tank together on the ground and then extend a wire to the sending unit wire on the frame. You then roll the tank to simulate-check tank level with gauge movement. It (fuel float level arm) will have to be bent.

The (in-tank) fuel pump and sock is for a 88-93 Mustang, 88 liters per hour standard replacement pump. I used the same pump for my 1998 Explorer install in my 68 Bronco. The rod that the pump is mounted to does not show the stainless hose clamps holding the pump in place. The rod is the return line. You will need EFI fuel hose to make the pump connection, with EFI type hose clamps. Apparently EFI fuel hose is rated to be submersed. (So far no one has reported an issue) You do have to check for clearance between the sock and the tank floor, you want about an 1/8 > 1/4" clearance, not touching. The EFI tanks have a boxed in area on the floor so that fuel is available regardless of what angle you are at. No pump starvation.

Buy a quality brand pump! No budget priced O'Reilly's Chinese brands. I use Bosch and Nipondenso based on my experience... This is the last thing I want to replace when I am away from home...

There was one guy that had a clearance issue with the tank mounting brackets, the tank top bottomed out against the body before the brackets contacted the frame. He was able to use some 1/4 spacers made from a cutting board like material (but denser) that he found at Tap plastics here in CA. He was able to shim it down. Aero was apologetic and was willing to redo the brackets, but shipping and down time killed that Idea. He went with the shims and there have been many hours of wheeling without issue...

Doug

(The wood shims tapped to the tank is so that I could center the tank in the factory frame space)

what is the recessed part of the tank for?
i would have expected the sending unit to be put in the recess so it could be mounted higher.

JSmall

Bronco Guru

Doug

What are the fittings in the top of your tank for?

migs

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru

I thought that too being a commercial business. I'm more than willing.

OP
OP
J

Joe473

Doug

Thank you, great info and pics that should answer some questions. I collected some other questions that were out there and emailed aero.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
What are the fittings in the top of your tank for?

The one in the center top (marked smog) is for the tank vent to the CC. It has a roll over shut off feature built into it... It comes from Aero with the tank.

The brass fitting close to the edge is an extra port I asked for so I could pump fuel from the 14 gal front tank into the rear tank where the EFI pump was...

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
what is the recessed part of the tank for?
i would have expected the sending unit to be put in the recess so it could be mounted higher.

Front recess is for the fuel level sending unit, we actually had one Norcal member request to have the EFI portion recessed as well, to get the tank as high as possible. (additional cost for him)

The rear recess across the whole tank is to clear the rear body cross brace where the body mounts are..

OP
OP
J

Joe473

I updated the original post with some info I would like to get from everyone so i can start on a spreadsheet and working through shipping. I'm not holding anyone to a commitment here just trying to confirm numbers and locations so we can firm up shipping and pricing.

Also once I have emails and final detail its will be more efficient to move this to email.

Thanks again to those who offered to help out with receiving shipping in local areas.

OP
OP
J

Joe473

Some answers from Aero on Questions from PM's. About 2 or 3 spots left if everyone that has Pm'd me stays in. Spreadsheet to verify options will go out late tomorrow to everyone I have info for.

1. Drill new holes in frame to mount tank.
2. Fill 1 3/4" Vent 5/8"
3. Feed is 3/8" for both EFI and non EFI Return is 5/16"
4. Straight tube not flared or barbed
5. Non EFI tanks will have the feed and return welded in tank by us.

Tanks include New sending unit 78-10 ohms will match you factory FORD gauge.
EFI bracket inc. bracket - gasket - bolts to mount bracket.
Skid plates are welded to bottom of tank, you will lose no additional ground clearance with our skid.