• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Third times a charm v3.0

JSmall

Bronco Guru
I picked up a 1976 in clean condition yesterday. I've always regretted selling my last two so this one is here to stay. I got it cleaned up today and I was able to remove some of the junk the PO added. I ran out of light so I wasn't able to take many pictures. I'll add a few more of the interior and motor soon. First order of business is a full tune-up and replace all the fluids. It has an Edelbrock carb that will need to be rebuilt. First mod will be power steering. For some reason it was removed at some point.

I'll update this as I make progress.

First round of wiring upgrades
Second round of wiring upgrades
33x10.5 BFG KM2's
Custom dash
Pushing axle back 1"
Motor Rebuild
Reason for the slow build
Accessory wiring project
Last of the LUBR
Full width axle builds
Starting on the 4 link
Starting on the 3 link
Start of the engine cage

d2d0a163.jpg

7433e5b9.jpg

422e311f.jpg

a1142b27.jpg

Last edited:

4lofun

Looks real clean, hope you get to keep this one forever

Unknown

Contributor
Very nice! Is that stock suspension or small lift? Paint looks slick too.

OP
OP
JSmall

JSmall

Bronco Guru
Thanks guys. I'm really excited to get started. Power steering will be the first item. I have the 4x4 F150 box right now. I need the 4x2 box and the WCB seal kit to complete the box. Either BC or WCB frame reinforcement and source the pump and brackets. I'll start making progress on that tomorrow.

OP
OP
JSmall

JSmall

Bronco Guru
Ordered WCB Saginaw PS pump bracket kit, 4x4x2 seal kit, and frame reinforment. I'm headed to the JY to find the 4x2 box that's needed for the upgrade.

I'm running into trouble finding the saginaw dual return pump #20-8606. I was told there weren't any units available right now. Any other part numbers available for a dual return Sag pump?

OP
OP
JSmall

JSmall

Bronco Guru
Thanks. I'm really not sure at this point. When I was looking I always thought that I wanted one that was cut. Now that I have a clean uncut, I'm not sure.

OP
OP
JSmall

JSmall

Bronco Guru
Here are some pics of the engine. I really don't even know what I have yet, except for a mess of wiring. I'll get all of that cleaned up soon. I'm working on getting the tanks out and flushed right now.

69965e91.jpg

ccd303ac.jpg

4ed76126.jpg

OP
OP
JSmall

JSmall

Bronco Guru
Made lots of progress tonight. Got the rear tank flushed and reinstalled. Removed the side tank because I won't be using it. Changed up the fuel lines to bypass the fuel selector and removed miles of wiring that didn't have a purpose.

I'll use the stock rear tank until I can get a BC 23 gallon. I'll order that in a week or two. Tomorrow I'll start the brakes and the rest of the fluids. Should be on the road by Sunday.

I got my PS brackets from WCB and they are not powder coated black. The picture on their site shows them black. Looks like I'll be calling Monday when they return from KOH.

OP
OP
JSmall

JSmall

Bronco Guru
It broke down on me last night. I knew I would need to tackle the rats nest of wires under the hood soon. I thought I would be able to complete a few other things first, but that's not going to happen. I thought my alternator went out on me last night, but it ended up being the voltage regulator.

I bought a new one, but before I install it I'm going to fix the wiring under the hood. I bought the HD headlight conversion from Tom's and I'm picking up one of these tonight. 12 circuit fuse block with ground bus and cover. http://m.westmarine.com/aHR0cDovL3d3dy53ZXN0bWFyaW5lLmNvbS93ZWJhcHAvd2NzL3N0b3Jlcy9zZXJ2bGV0L1Byb2R1Y3REaXNwbGF5P3Byb2R1Y3RJZD0xNzI0MyZjYXRhbG9nSWQ9MTAwMDEmbGFuZ0lkPS0xJnN0b3JlSWQ9MTExNTEmc3RvcmVOdW09NTA1MjMmc3ViZGVwdE51bT01MDU0OSZjbGFzc051bT01MDU1NA%3D%3D

Between the MSD wiring and the rats nest coming off of my starter solenoid I figure it will be a good idea to rewire the front of the Bronco right now. It will clean everything up and I won't be worried about a fire every time I drive it. I'll update with some pictures soon.