• Be EXTREMELY cautious if someone offers to buy your Bronco for more than your asking price and sight unseen. ESPECIALLY if the buyer is overseas. It's probably a scam.

Discuss it more here:
    http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?p=514932
  • The Classifieds forum is a place to buy and sell, not an open forum for people to give their opinions on Bronco values. Unless the seller specifically asks for help on pricing, please don't critique quality or asking price. If you're not interested then move on.

Thanks!
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

CA Carbon Fiber/Kevlar Quarter protector Feeler

Status
Not open for further replies.

JGO

Contributor
Hi all,

I'm trying to gauge whether or not there is a market for these. These quarter panel protectors are hand laid carbon fiber with a Kevlar blend outer layer. These are STRONG, and weigh almost nothing. Obviously these will scar on the trail but my belief is that the Kevlar shell will prevent fraying. The only test I have been able to perform was a bench test where I put a scrap in the vice and struck it repeatedly with a hatchet. I was unable to damage it. I can email that video if interested. These will be expensive as they are hand laid, and the materials are not cheap. $800

Thoughts?

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 434
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 408
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 364

camp9k

I would trade you 5/8th of a trailer project for a set...LOL! Seriously, they look awesome and fit super tight? I don't see any mounting bolts?

John

OP
OP
J

JGO

Contributor
I would trade you 5/8th of a trailer project for a set...LOL! Seriously, they look awesome and fit super tight? I don't see any mounting bolts?

John

Thanks!

That trailer project is sweet, you'll have no trouble getting rid of it! They fit real tight. I used construction adhesive to mount.

Jim

302BRONC

Great idea! this is the innovation we're needing in the industry. I have a set of the BC Broncos steel pieces. They fit so-so, but i abuse them alot on the trail. Rocks, trees, other rig's fenders, you get the idea.

Couple issues i see in a real-life scenario.
1) Delamination of the layers while being abused
2) the most common areas for me to use mine is right on the corner by the tail-light. What is the material's ability to distribute that load?
3) Obviously, cost. the steel ones IIRC are on the order of $500-$600 a set.
4) Possible UV deterioration
5) Make sure you can install these on an uncut quarter for the LUBER boys. The steel ones come made for an uncut, you cut them
7) Strength around the taillight opening as the material gets pretty slim.
6) Integration of the rear tire carrier mounts

I've been looking for another set of the BC Broncos. I'd be interested to see a side-by-side comparison of the 3/16 steel to these.

OP
OP
J

JGO

Contributor
Great idea! this is the innovation we're needing in the industry. I have a set of the BC Broncos steel pieces. They fit so-so, but i abuse them alot on the trail. Rocks, trees, other rig's fenders, you get the idea.

Couple issues i see in a real-life scenario.
1) Delamination of the layers while being abused
2) the most common areas for me to use mine is right on the corner by the tail-light. What is the material's ability to distribute that load?
3) Obviously, cost. the steel ones IIRC are on the order of $500-$600 a set.
4) Possible UV deterioration
5) Make sure you can install these on an uncut quarter for the LUBER boys. The steel ones come made for an uncut, you cut them
7) Strength around the taillight opening as the material gets pretty slim.
6) Integration of the rear tire carrier mounts

I've been looking for another set of the BC Broncos. I'd be interested to see a side-by-side comparison of the 3/16 steel to these.

Thanks for the feedback.

The only way to know all the answers is with some real world testing. I will say that this material is amazing! Even at 1/8" thick I am having a hard time damaging it. The lower taillight area will obviously be the crucial test on Bronco's that retain the stock metal down there. With more layers of material I would expect it to survive down there. I did shoot a urethane clear coat for UV protection.

302BRONC

Thanks for the feedback.

The only way to know all the answers is with some real world testing. I will say that this material is amazing! Even at 1/8" thick I am having a hard time damaging it. The lower taillight area will obviously be the crucial test on Bronco's that retain the stock metal down there. With more layers of material I would expect it to survive down there. I did shoot a urethane clear coat for UV protection.

I'd be happy to real-world test them out for ya! ;D I won't be back on the trails until spring, so the definitive test would be a bit delayed.

12111989_956526657742409_1228885144097042331_n.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

marshall godron

Those are awesome Tried to reply on NorCal. But something funky with my log in. The carbon fiber works great on the dirt bike skid plates so I think you're on to something The price is steep but I get why. Any chance of a mass buy lowering the cost a bit? How long does it take to produce them?

OP
OP
J

JGO

Contributor
Those are awesome Tried to reply on NorCal. But something funky with my log in. The carbon fiber works great on the dirt bike skid plates so I think you're on to something The price is steep but I get why. Any chance of a mass buy lowering the cost a bit? How long does it take to produce them?

I'm gonna experiment with different materials to see if I can avoid many layers of expensive carbon fiber.Takes a few days to produce a set.

Broncitis

MEB Founder
Looks really cool, but they will get torn up if used for actual protection against rocks and will then not look near as nice once all scarred up and will not be able to be made to look good like metal ones with a bit of sanding and a can of paint (at least not to maintain the cool carbon look).

Having spent 5 years as an F-18 airframe mechaninc, I've seen damage to and repaired some top quality carbon fiber from much less abusive situations than these will see.

Certainly a neat piece for a cool look, but if someone expects them to stay looking that way when used for actual protection, they will be in for a surprise.

You may have a bigger market for thinner, cheaper ones just for the unique look on rigs that will not really be rubbing them on rocks (like much of the Jeep crowd buys).

Broncitis

MEB Founder
Yes, the steel ones from BC were pricey, but they also had something like $20K+ in custom hydroforming dies to make them (which has since been lost when shipped I heard, which is why they are no longer made).

The material and labor cost for composite parts is a bit more, but the tooling costs is not near that.

farmerjohn

Those look awesome! I have been thinking of making some myself. I have carbon fiber on my KTM's 2 stroke pipe and it works great. Does get boogered a little bit, but only about a 16th thick. Get some rocks and a sledge hammer and see how they hold up!;)

OP
OP
J

JGO

Contributor
Those look awesome! I have been thinking of making some myself. I have carbon fiber on my KTM's 2 stroke pipe and it works great. Does get boogered a little bit, but only about a 16th thick. Get some rocks and a sledge hammer and see how they hold up!;)

I've hit them pretty hard with a sledge hammer to show off, and have not damaged them yet. I cant say that I'm giving it 100%, but hitting pretty hard. I cant wait to drag them over the rocks! With the Kevlar in the outer shell I believe they will not degrade as much as you might think.

Joker11

Loc.
Yuma, Arizona
They look kinda cool.

But I wouldn't pay more than maybe 75bucks for a set.

Not trashing your idea. You asked if there was a market. I think they are nice, but not 800bucks nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.