• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bought a Bronco I used to know 20 years ago

Prizefighter

Bronco Guru
A guy was selling a C4 on CL so I met up to buy it from him. He lives in a different city and when we meet up we start talking Broncos and he tells me about his two, one of them being a half cab. When he is describing it things start ringing a bell then I see a picture of it - Bam, I know this Bronco from way back. I told him my history with it.

When I was about 12-13 (36 now) I was on a Boy Scout camping trip out of town. There was a Bronco in the campgrounds and I thought it was very cool and knew what it was, my Dad had a 77. Fastforward to when I'm 19 and I'm buying my second EB from a guy. I look three houses down and in the driveway is that same Bronco I saw when I was in Boy Scouts. I ended up befriending the owner, a guy in his 50s who worked at one of the local factories. This was about the year 1999 or 2000. He said yes that was him at that particular campground and he used to deer hunt there a lot. The Bronco had 38" Swampers on it. I was online a lot and connected to the primative Bronco community that formed as soon as the Internet formed. He asked me if I could get it sold for him and I said yes, so he gave me the keys to his 1975 half cab, auto, ps, 351W, 35s, 5.5" suspension lift Bronco and told me to take it, drive it, sell it. My daily was a 77 manual, ps, mostly stock, on 33s so this was really cool. I drove it around for a month, advertising where I could, with some interest but no buyers. I dropped it back off at his house and left the keys in it since he wasn't home. I would see his wife and daughter sometimes at the diner I worked at but never really saw him again. I went by his house one more time but he wasn't home.

Back to the present, the Bronco is for sale. I want to buy it but the timing sucks. The current owner is understanding of the situation and sent me a text the other day offering it to me first before he goes to CL with it. He also has some friends of friends who want it. He's firm on his price and I think it's fair. So right now I am staying in touch with him via text message and going to see if he will work something out with me. He's not in a huge hurry to sell but is about to put it out there and with the Early Bronco craze, it will be gone soon if he does.

Attachments

• imagejpeg_0_zpse9hqjmyr.jpg
    imagejpeg_0_zpse9hqjmyr.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 202
  • imagejpeg_1_zpsveqz4mnp.jpg
    imagejpeg_1_zpsveqz4mnp.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 226
Last edited:
OP
OP
Prizefighter

Prizefighter

Bronco Guru
Brought it home today. Kind of a sweet homecoming..

I got pulled over on the way home by a State Trooper because my tire carrier was swinging back and forth he said. He called it a Bronco when he walked up. I asked him how he knew it was a Bronco and not a jeep, his reply was he used to have an 85 K5 Blazer. When I walked around back to secure the tire carrier it was in it's proper place since there was no latch on the tailgate (there was no tire on it when I bought it). He wanted to check it out I suspect lol. I tied it down as he observed, we talked for a second, then he let me head home.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
wow didn't realize you brought the whole bronco home. great story and congrats:cool:

OP
OP
Prizefighter

Prizefighter

Bronco Guru
Would y'all like to see this as a build thread? I found an engine to use for it and will start doing upgrades as time allows. I posted it in the Off Topic since it was more about the story I had with the Bronco and history.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
. Great Story Prizefighter. Glad you got it bought. It suck when you find things you want But there is no money to make it happen.
... Glad you save a gem.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Brought it home today. Kind of a sweet homecoming..

I got pulled over on the way home by a State Trooper because my tire carrier was swinging back and forth he said. He called it a Bronco when he walked up. I asked him how he knew it was a Bronco and not a jeep, his reply was he used to have an 85 K5 Blazer. When I walked around back to secure the tire carrier it was in it's proper place since there was no latch on the tailgate (there was no tire on it when I bought it). He wanted to check it out I suspect lol. I tied it down as he observed, we talked for a second, then he let me head home.

lol, nice.. :)

OP
OP
Prizefighter

Prizefighter

Bronco Guru
This build is about to undergo some major upgrades. The following has been purchased.

Cooper STT Pro 40x13.50x17
17x9 steel wheels
Duff 5.5" springs
Duff long travel radius arms
Duff Coil Towers for full width axles
Wild Horses 1" body lift
Wild Horses F250 shock mounts
1979 Full width D44/9 with 5.38 gears, lockers, chromo shafts
4x4x2 box
BC Broncos steering box reinforcement kit
West Texas Off-Road ram assist
Ruff Stuff 1 ton steering
Ruff Stuff U bolt eliminator perch kit
Bailie Bilt family cage
Bailie Bilt spare gate tire carrier
Centech wiring harness
New sheet metal
Paint

OCBR 2017 is coming up :cool:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Prizefighter

Prizefighter

Bronco Guru
This will be the build thread. You'll see it Tuesday right? I should be there at John's too that day.

OP
OP
Prizefighter

Prizefighter

Bronco Guru
Big things are happening at Jak's Restoration.

Attachments

• 20170626_155810_zpss2zopr6u.jpg
    20170626_155810_zpss2zopr6u.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 76
  • 20170626_155821_zpswywsyzwo.jpg
    20170626_155821_zpswywsyzwo.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 85
  • 20170628_114007_zpsug1omrdw.jpg
    20170628_114007_zpsug1omrdw.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 83
  • 20170628_133056.jpg
    20170628_133056.jpg