• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stroked out 302/363 vs stroked out 351/408

buckenbronco

Loc.
Hanson
So I stopped in at my local machine/speed shop the other day and I had asked the owner what he had any 351 windsors kicking around so I could build something myself. We strolled around looking to see what he had and he said how about a nice 302. I wasn't really interested at first but then he started telling me how it was built. He built it for a guy 7 years ago and the guy disappeared and paid for most of the build. So it's a dart block bored 40 over. Stroked out to a 363. Trick flow heads,fuel injected all the high end parts. He was guessing it's a 450 to 500 horse engine. So I asked him how much. $4000 he says and then he said it was a $10000 build. So do you guys think it's one hell of a deal and go for it or should I build a 351 windsor. If I build a 351w it's going to be a hell of a lot more then what Id spend on that 302. Pros and cons of the 351 to the 302

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Go for the dart block. Bare DART blocks go for $2500. Where is this shop again?:)

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
if it doesn't fit your needs or your build then it is not a good deal no matter what the price is.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I strongly prefer a 351W over a 302 but I do not think I could walk away from that stroked 302 Dart Block engine....

bbaltered

Wanna make a quick $500 bucks ? Buy it for $4000 and I will give you $4500 for it !

OP
OP
B

buckenbronco

Loc.
Hanson
So it seems like a good deal then. I can only assume that the 351 would have more torque if they were built to have the same horse power. But would it be a noticeable difference?

ScanmanSteven

Bronco Guru
It all depends on how you plan to use your Bronco. My guess is it might be a high RPM engine, possibly not coming on until 2500 or later. Sounds like a beast, check with the builder again to see what he thinks. Most builds are high performance, not low end torque like we need to get moving. Keep us posted.

MonsterBIlly

just a little comparison for you. I have a 92 block stroked to a 331 with trick flow heads, wiand intake, motorsports x cam and msd fuel injection.
My engine on the dyno produced 399 hp and 424 ftlbs.

I am running it in my 66 mustang. i dont think i would ever use that much in my bronco. Would it be nice to have, sure.

i am into my 331 for about 7k, so if you can get the set up he is telling you it is for 4k it sounds like a great deal. However, remember, you get what you pay for and usually if it sounds to good to be true, it probably is.

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
4000 dollars for a stroked dart with all the goodies is a very good price. Depending on how he built it would determine the power band. Some of them strokers build a lot of low end torque. If it's put together with good parts, they last a long time.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Makes great power between 4000 and 8000 RPM.
Where do most people drive Broncos most of the time, idle to 4000 RPM.

Are they raised port heads? Can you even bolt exhaust up to them? You may need custom headers if they have the odd flange and location.

What EFI parts are included? Aftermarket intakes can run in the $500+ range which is good, but if it is just a box of stock parts there is little value in them for that engine or reselling.

It is in the details.

A properly built 408 is probably a better choice.

hucklburry rev2

Lets say you buy it and maybe re-cam for the power band, you'd have maybe $4500 in it.

What can you build for $4500 that would compare to those #s?

thorgan

I have receipts for about $10K in my 427 Windsor build. Stock '69 block with a couple of sleeves (had pitted cylinders), TFS heads, Coast High Performance rotating assembly, Crower solid roller cam and lifters, full roller rockers, TFS upper and lower intake manifolds, A9L computer, 30 lb/hr injectors, Moates Quarterhorse tuner module, Fox body equal length shorty headers, Aeromotive A1000 fuel pump, 5/8" fuel lines, 5/8" fuel rails, Aeromotive adjustable fuel pressure regulator, etc, etc.

I'm super happy with this combination although some would argue that it's way too much for a Bronco (and they'd be right). The overall performance of my engine is probably on par with the numbers your guy is stating for the 363 but the horsepower and torque peaks will be at substantially lower rpms from the bigger engine. It can be argued that this is better for a street driven vehicle and even better still for a 4x4.

That being said, I'm torn over your decision due to the price. You'd be getting $10K of performance for only $4K! That fact would be impossible for me to ignore were I in your shoes. Especially given the fact that you'll need custom injection tuning with either a 363 or a 408. The 363 just leaves you more money left over for that tuning. I guess this means that my vote would be for the 363.

WheelHorse

Bronco Guru
He built it for a guy 7 years ago and the guy disappeared and paid for most of the build.

In 7 years he couldn't move a 363...I smell bs.

If the owner flaked two years after the build I'd be pretty certain any Ford guy would have picked it up for 4K..especially if the builder has a strong following.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Never know at a smaller shop, they tend to let locals slide on payment for a longer period, bottom line they want their money, next thing you know its been there a year or two, then 5, then 7.

bigcountry

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I would buy it. I built a 348 and I still have more than $4000 in mine. Like others have said you can put another cam in it.

panteramatt

Listen, if it were me I would buy that motor and buy a car to put it in! Then buy a 351 for your bronco. Or simply have it recammed but that motor would be great in a falcon, or mustang.

OP
OP
B

buckenbronco

Loc.
Hanson
It is a small shop. And like you said time flew by and the engine was forgotten about. The builder is an honest guy and he thought that the guy might someday come back for it. I'll grab the paper work tomorrow on the engine and post it here on exactly the parts that are in it. I've seen the receipt and it was around $10 k. I saw all the parts today and it looks like everything is there but the wiring harness and the power steering pump and alternator. It has serpentine belt set up. There is still a lot I have to buy and decisions to make. Do I put out 4r70 behind it or go with the standard. I'll need a radiator and shroud,convert to power steering, new fuel tank, decide on which transfer case, new braking system because I have drum breaks,and just beef shit up.