• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

RENAMED THREAD: Jims constant need for sheet metal answers

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
Is there an order to replacing floor parts? I have multiple panels that need to be replaced, especially for where the roll cage connects. Is there an order as to what goes first, second, etc.? I'm talking about does "tab A need to go into slot B" or things get whacky. Here's a pic of what is rotten and potentially questionable.

I would love some pics or threads of the process of replacing floor parts/panels. What goes first, then next. Where they attach to what. ANYTHING would help me get some clarity on what's coming up.

Thanks! Jim

Attachments

• overview1.jpg
    overview1.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 120
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 101
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 101
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 90
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

Hella.Stoked

Loc.
Reno
I know the seat area sucked cuz of all the holes to drill to weld through, but after that I did the bed piece then placed the 4 corners in...the passenger floor was a breeze. Try if you can to use the seat area old metal as a template for the seat holes and stuff. I forgot to drill holes for the pass seat latch but later got the old piece from the trash and flattened it out and drilled them...

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I did the pre assembled floor pan and rebuilt my bed from scratch ...so not much advice from me

OP
OP
ObscureMachine

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
So here's what came back from the sandblaster. Pretty much everything on the floor has some rot (some have lots) save for the driver floor pan and the tunnel (plus firewall.

Attachments

• 19.jpg
    19.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 41
  • 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 46
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 48
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 52
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 51
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 53
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 56
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

Ethansdad73

Bronco Guru
Hope this helps a little
541a9fa08acba8cf4c0d136ca4783a51.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Those corners on your wheel wells will be easy. I would do your front pans first then tackle the bed. You should be able to trim and then zip your new pans into the floor channel supports w/ som self tapping sheet metal screws. Once those are in go on to your bed and do the same thing. Once its all fit together take a screw out at a time a plug weld it together.

OP
OP
ObscureMachine

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
Those corners on your wheel wells will be easy. I would do your front pans first then tackle the bed. You should be able to trim and then zip your new pans into the floor channel supports w/ som self tapping sheet metal screws. Once those are in go on to your bed and do the same thing. Once its all fit together take a screw out at a time a plug weld it together.

That's my plan. Does it matter if the seat platform goes in before or after the bed?

OP
OP
ObscureMachine

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
Today's questions:
1. Rear striker post replacement: is this going to kill me? I barely know how to spot weld? Or, can my fab guy fab and repair the striker and the support?

2 what exactly does the wheel well attach to? What's the best way to remove it?

Thanks!

Jim

Attachments

• IMG_2186.jpg
    IMG_2186.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_2185.jpg
    IMG_2185.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_2178.jpg
    IMG_2178.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 53

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
The wheel well attaches to the inner quarter and the rear floor and the two fillers attach to the wheel wells. I always run a panel cutter on an air hammer around the perimeter of the piece I'm replacing to access the spot welds then drill them out. If that is the only bad spot on the striker post, I would graft them in. If your not changing the quarter panel it will be easier to patch them. A little at a time and before you know it you'll be done. Ken

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
That's my plan. Does it matter if the seat platform goes in before or after the bed?

you could put it in before the bed, I don't think it matters to much, the flange on the bed slips underneath the seat pan section.

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Today's questions:
1. Rear striker post replacement: is this going to kill me? I barely know how to spot weld? Or, can my fab guy fab and repair the striker and the support?

2 what exactly does the wheel well attach to? What's the best way to remove it?

Thanks!

Jim

That's really not that bad, you could buy a new a new striker post brace but really if you have a vice you could make some patches for those areas with some 18 ga sheet metal. They're not that bad.

Your wheel well has a flange that is spot welded to the inner quarter, and the bed has a flange that's spot welded to the pick up bed.

Jamie Chriss

Keep it up, I am about a month ahead of you doing the same stuff! One thing leads to another.

Attachments

• IMG_8832.jpg
    IMG_8832.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 19