• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Considering 351W/5.8L swap

Knuck

Ok, considering swapping in a 351w/5.8. What is everyone doing for an oil pan? Will the pan from an F150 work, or do I need to buy a specialty 351 pan for an EB (Like the ones available from Jeffs or James Duff)?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The typical truck one will work, after the dent for the diff is made. Or you run very tall bumpstops. Mine was happy with the dent.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
80's and early 90's Mercury Grand Marquis with a 351 W is the part number that Duff sells for their Ford oil pan for a Windsor swap.

Shhh....don't tell them I told ya....lol

5001craig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I went with a Crown Vic/Grand Marquis pan and while it works it also leaks. The dip stick tube and where it mounts to the pan both leak. My buddy has a Miloden pan and it's bad ass (with no leaks). I need to look at it again to make sure of brand and clearance. I've also looked at the Canton Racing pan in the past--need to look at it again as I seem to remember they aren't really made for an engine with a front diff. They have some cool stuff.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Van pan works great...don't run the a cast alum pan (if any are avail for the 5.8) unless you know for sure you won't hit it...cast doesn't like to self clearance!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
They never made a cast 351 pan. That was only on the Explorer 5.0 in the later years.

77RHINO

I'm using the one that came from the 96 bronco I pulled the engine from.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
I wasn't sure that's why posted it up like that-save some grief just in case...