• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Left key in on position all night, burned up something ...

OP
OP
BGBronco

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
The ignition module is new, the coil is new and the same model as the old. Thank you.

oldiron

Bronco Guru
How new is the control module? New as in "just replaced it yesterday" or relatively new? Some of the aftermarket units are not of the best quality and absolutely can not stand to be left in the "on" position for long periods. Ironically I've seen the original motorcraft units left on for days (to the point that all the epoxy literally melted out and ran down the inner fender) and still worked just fine. If you've got a spare (you should) swap it in and see what happens.
Greg

OP
OP
BGBronco

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
Just replaced the control module this morning. It started briefly, ran very rough. Then died. Couldn't get it started again. Very, very frustrating in that its been a perfect bronco driving weekend here in KY.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BGBronco

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
A buddy came over and we got it started by spraying engine starter in carburetor. Drove it for a while, ran well and the would not start again later. I'm thing maybe I have limited spark or a short somewhere in the system. Very frustrating.

SHX669

Bronco Guru
I had a similar problem with mine running great until I turned off the motor ; then it wouldn't restart for a while. Turned out to be the magnetic "pickup" . Fairly easy to replace but the hard part is finding a decent quality replacement. My local parts store had good , better and best . I bought the best and had issues with that one also so went a different direction.

OP
OP
BGBronco

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
Well. After all of this, the $3.95 ignition coil connector has been replaced and i'm back on the road. Appreciate all the input.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well, I have power at the ignition coil and checked the fuses. Still not starting.

I'm sorry for the ridiculous question but what 'all' of the components of the ignition system? My engine is a 302, carb, from an 84 Mustang.

At this point I guess I will just start replacing them until it starts.

Looking back through the thread...we don't even know for sure what kind of ignition system is on it.:p It "sounds" like you've got Ford Duraspark since you said you replaced the module. About all that is left is the pickup in the distributor. Pop the cap on the distributor and take a picture of the top of it, looking down at the rotor.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Post #19 shows a Duraspark blue-grommet module and distributor. Wiring is still kind of an unknown.
The horseshoe coil connector did look like it had been through the wars, so not surprised it, or the wires and connectors inside of it were in distress.

Paul

slim811

Contributor
Similar problem. I have a stock 71 with points. Started up,I shut off the nothing. I mean no power to anything not even lights. Happened late last night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you have no power to anything, there are only a few things it can be.

1. The fusible link at the starter relay (Black wire on the battery-side)
2. Somewhere else along that Black wire has become broken.
3. On that same wire, just behind the ammeter gauge there is an inline connector that become rusty or disconnected.
4. Battery cable (either one) has failed internally.
5. Battery cable connections corroded beyond passing electricity.

Those are the main suspects at this point.

Paul

slim811

Contributor
Thanks Paul. I'll let you know when I get home tonight. Pete

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
ground wire between the negative battery pole and the body tub. Most likely the fuse able link on the positive side of the starter solenoid. Clean and check the ground battery connection, then check the battery ground to the body and then check the battery ground to the engine block. If that doesn't fix it clean and check the positive battery cable at the battery and where it connects to the starter solenoid. If that doesnt restore power check the fuse-able link connected where your positive battery cable connects at the starter solenoid. without the key on, your flashers, head lights,brake lights and horn should function. everything else needs the ignition switch working.

slim811

Contributor
Black negative wire at battery failed. Replaced the terminal connector and back on the road. Thanks guys.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks for the good news! Congrats on the quick fix.

Paul