• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Exhaust Questions

LowCountryEB

Loc.
Charleston, SC
I just finished having my 408 engine installed in my 74 (430hp/510tq). What size pipes should I run from the shorty's back? 2.5", 3", etc?

And what mufflers do ya'll recommend? I've been looking at the Flowmaster 40 and 44. Not sure they even make the 40 anymore, so I guess it would be 40 Super now? What's the difference between regular and "Super"?

I want a deep/great sound. I don't drive it much so highway noise, etc... isn't a big deal for me. I'd rather hear the engine hum than listen to someone talk to me (lol) or the radio at this point since the engine is brand new. Please send recommendations! I'm picking it up from one shop in the morning and taking it to an exhaust shop next... Thanks!

76YETI

Loc.
KC METRO
I had a custom setup made that was patterned off the bc 2 into 1 with magna flow. Love the rumble! Good luck and search google there is a lot out there to listen too.

WheelHorse

Bronco Guru
2.5" will flow plenty in dual form. I like Dynomax Ultraflow or pick a similar design of your favorite manufacturer.

5001craig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I went with dual 3" out the fenderwells with Super 44's. They are pretty loud but like you it's not something I drive that much. I've never put a db meter on mine but want to as I'm not supposed to be over 94 db @ 20" @2,500 RPM to get into the dunes where I go. I'm pretty sure I'm there.

What I did is detailed in my build thread in my sig. Here's a pic of mine during mock-up:

olxRYjz8_tJtpDhrzP-raCBOtjVAvrmdhR-Tu6lwEuPRpr-Qk9XnqJOPNBQNCJGfykZhwMb6QgfudHlHYJFn3-dYUbd0n1LYFMbRuGOFp9t8hkipuF-0mLK-SEw_O_02OB9rYKdXi2kjy-STXkXApmuX7eyvh5PNue_7jw1ycww4vZhzGDmc_jOchHhAseRJSCrt2wvzkzegG-RKceHpwxkyyY9scf8wgLiM1-U5sYWWXFHY-GFGO1-PA9G97M8MmxFwyKUV2-wGhQqMwU0Ea4TODpZwF6P4asWErOl3vYewrHama75WtFR4GQAySV_t979XdStovv2LMddtf_aHm1TD3SWcAdflTLEz5xvd75WQIjVoMOWmKLCFY-hOZ9U5ieN-6AsYM2QOIWc5NfbxazHHNUkEf9fHbkATQSxfZUMwtIrv-2CtAKriatyF78StOob5CTaboGy4spL3prLD9nRVYR1puItRNWn2eflDYdmkwdCefLSRERFnsBmZoK_NVR1K849qq5hrW0JzLM4XaWT-_kwq4t0nEW5GmGB4ZhDxiaVhaFDGWEkJim22B8VzuBb2hPHnKY6h5jgAiVUKy33GB_WdhcS7L9cf_LYhV7Q=w1625-h914-no