• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Diff fluid leaking from rear tire

vtboy51

I'm assuming one of my rear axle seals is shot, causing diff fluid to leak out from the tire area. Question is, what parts should I replace when I'm in there? Are there inner and outer seals like my Dana 30 front end? When I did the front axle seals I replaced those and the wheel bearings, u joints, etc..

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
There is just one outer oil seal, located directly inboard of the axle bearing. Plan on changing both axle bearings and seals if you don't know the last time they were changed.

Justafordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
X2, If the seal is leaking chances are the bearings are bad. Do yourself a favor and change both seals and bearings.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
A lot of rigs have seen deep water, and haven't been maintained properly.

If you don't have the service records on the car, you should take the opportunity to do a good inspection of the complete rear end.
Since the axles are already out, you can inspect the axle bearings, and drop the differential out to inspect it and clean out the housing.

This is one of the easiest cars to do this work on. Anyone who owns one of these old cars should be able to do it.;)

You should be able to tell right away if the pervious owner has taken care of it.
Heck, the bearings might even be just fine.
A leaky seal doesn'the meant he bearings are bad.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ah the smell of old gear oil, you never forget that one.

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
WOW! I just went thru this with my 70, saw diff fluid on the pass rear tire, pulled out the old original shafts and they were gouged pretty good, so ordered new axle shafts and seals from WildHorses, and love the fact that the bearings are already pressed on so its a easy install. So now everything is good, new gears, axles, brakes, driveshaft etc. Jim ;)

OP
OP
vtboy51

vtboy51

Do I need to remove the drum brake assemble or can I get to the bolts with it in place?

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
If you have the stock axle shafts there is a hole in the flange to get to the axle retaining bolts. If you have aftermarket axles there is no straight access to the axle shaft retaining bolts. There is a gasket between the axle retaining plate and the axle bearing that has to be put on before you install the axle bearing.

OP
OP
vtboy51

vtboy51

Ok I've got the nuts off, now should the axle slide out?? I've been banging on it, but it's an odd spot given the drum assemble is in the way. I just want to be sure no other bolts are holding the axle in place.

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
You can turn your brake drum around and put it back on the axle shaft, put the lug nuts on a little ways and use it like a slide hammer. The bearings may be a little tight in the housing making it hard to pull the shafts out.