• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stutsmo's 67 build.

OP
OP
Stutsmo

Stutsmo

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I am getting ready to get back at the Bronco. I have been lazy lately with the holidays and all.... I want to have it drivable this spring so I need to get busy and get it done. I don't go back to work until Jan 3 so I hope to get some stuff done in the next week. I'm gonna try something new for me and try to post up some video. If it works correctly you will be viewing how the Bronco sits today. If It doesn't work correctly....well I'll stay up all night trying to get it right!

[youtube]NDA7j5tWoUo[/youtube]

OP
OP
Stutsmo

Stutsmo

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Bill reworked some door hinges and we got the doors hung, rocker panels fitted with sheet metal screws. We are hoping to get the welder out and weld everything together in the next week or so. Here is a few pics that Bill took. It is awesome to see this Bronco taking shape!

Attachments

• IMG952012122995153453.jpg
    IMG952012122995153453.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG952012122995153650.jpg
    IMG952012122995153650.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 183
OP
OP
Stutsmo

Stutsmo

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Wheel wells are over rated.

Ha Ha! I have decided to rip it in half length wise and remove 2" out of the center and make a cut out for the shock tower on the side. my header clearance issues will be solved!

wow, thats really lookin good Jeff!!!!

Thanks Pat! I'm doing my best with what I have and so far I am VERY happy with how it is turning out!

OP
OP
Stutsmo

Stutsmo

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What am I going to do?

I envisioned making a decent looking, nice running mostly stock appearing (Luber) Bronco out of all these spare parts, in a reasonable time frame (1 year). Now it appears like it isn’t going to happen, if it does….. it is looking like it will take a lot longer and that kinda defeats my purpose for building this in the first place.
I really want to finish this Bronco. I am struggling right now trying to maintain focus on it. I am at the part where everything I am doing is new to me and I find myself getting stuck and leaving the Bronco set for weeks at a time while struggling with how to complete the next step correctly. Which gives me time to review what I have already done. Then I see all the mistakes I have made and processes I have overlooked causing me to get frustrated with the whole project.

The next issue is that I have spent my budget for the build. I knew going in I would have to sell some things to complete this Bronco but man…..I've sold some stuff and It sure didn't take long to spend all the money.
So now I am trying to decide What to do from here. Options include:

1. Leave it sit and do nothing with it.
2. Stop here and sell it as a unfinished project
3. Finish it with the parts I have and sell it unpainted
4. sell it to someone who wants me to finish it for them
5. keep selling all my "spare parts" till I have enough money to paint it

heck I don't know.... Just kinda frustrated with it. Looking for some words of wisdom.

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
to me, keep going. It's such a cool ride to stop now. Look how far it has come already. Back burner for a while if need be. It's like my favorite TV show, just keep tuning in to see what happens next!

addicted

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Broussard, Louisiana
Youve done such a great job so far. If its not a money issue then maybe just take a break from it. Spend some time just doing research on each step you need to accomplish and work on the ones you can get done relatively quickly. Sometimes completing small things give you that sense of accomplishment you need to get refocused. Builds like yours can seem overwhelming just because there is so much to do. Plenty of people have started frame offs and then lost their motivation. Then they sell the project and regret it down the road. I think you have to approach it like you would eat an elephant. Small bites. And sometimes stepping back for a bit is the best thing. But I really think you should finish it. Look how far you've already come.

OP
OP
Stutsmo

Stutsmo

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks guys! Like I said I really want to finish this Bronco. After talking to my wife We decided I need to keep going on it. It’s not that I don’t have money to work on it. It’s the fact that I already spent the amount I told my wife it would cost out of our pockets. So I need to do the rest of this with “Bronco Money” and we all know that slows things down. I actually think I have been taking too much of a break lately…. Basically it has been sitting since the end of last November with only a few things done to it since.

Part of the problem I am having is that it don’t seem like I ever complete anything. In an attempt to keep going forward with the build, I am going to try to get something completed. Right now it is the body work, I have to hang rear quarters with no experience. My only source of information is what I can dig up on it here on Classic Broncos and of course there are several different ways to go about doing it…..So I am going to go with what makes the most sense to me.

I am going to post up some pics of where I am at. If someone sees something that doesn't seem right speak up! As I said before I am kinda winging it here….
these pics are of drilling the upper quarter to spot weld the lower on. I read to use a 5/16 drill bit but that seemed to be too big so I went smaller on the other side. I have to get some weld thru primer before I can go farther with this.

Attachments

• P1270230.jpg
    P1270230.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 141
  • P1270231.jpg
    P1270231.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 141
  • P1270232.jpg
    P1270232.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 138
  • P1270233.jpg
    P1270233.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 142
  • P1270234.jpg
    P1270234.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 137

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
Come on Stuts, don't give up on this and it doesn't sound like you are planning to give up. That truck is gonna be Awesome when you are done and you will have done practically all of it and that is something to be proud of in my eyes.

As for getting this whole thing accomplished in 1 year? Definitely a LOFTY goal if you ask me. Professional shops take at least a couple of months and that is with a decent vehicle to work with that doesn't have issues. Have faith and you will get there! Just keep pluggin away!

If I could offer any advice it would be to get everything needed to finish a step before you even start that step. This way the only thing preventing it from being finished is you. I think that by doing that you will stay more focused and see things starting to get done. What do I know though because I was like a rubber ball bouncing all over the place when I was doing mine and I still do but I hate doing that because it just frustrates me as well.

Personally, I think it is comin along great. Can't wait to see it finished by you! ;D (Sorry for the babbling)

OP
OP
Stutsmo

Stutsmo

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Don't worry Rob, I am going to keep plugging away at it! Since this is a spare parts build I have every part I am going to use on it. I just don't have the skills needed to do the body work. I started to think TOO far ahead and the thought of doing the body work seriously scares the crap out of me. fact is I have a long time before I have to worry about it. I don't even have the rear quarters or rockers welded on yet. I am going to start selling some Bronco parts that I am not going to use. Then if I have to I'll pay some one to prep and paint the Bronco....

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
Looking good, Jeff. Here's a spot that might require some tweaking on the Dynacorn lower quarter. Ford brazed the upper front of the lower quarter to the upper quarter and door post. You'll most likely need to get all that material out for your lowers to fit well. If I remember right, I had to notch my lower here too, even with the new upper that was replaced. Hard to remember. It was like 800 degrees in July or August when I did the '77 ones.

But again, looking great so far. You've got good, clean, white metal on those upper quarter which is what you want. Aren't those rear tailpost spot welds fun to get to too? ;) Keep it up, bro!

Attachments

• brazed area.jpg
    brazed area.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 154

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
Another thing I'm remembering now is shaving the rear door post a wee bit so the lower quarter fit better. The replacements lowers don't wrap the post as much as the stock ones if that makes sense.

OP
OP
Stutsmo

Stutsmo

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks john! I'll check those out this evening.

OP
OP
Stutsmo

Stutsmo

Contributor
Bronco Guru
No pics yet John but you were right. I got that all taken care of and bought some weld through primer.....So far I am not working this weekend so I hope to have the lower quarters and rockers put back on and welded up Saturday. IF that happens there will be plenty of pics taken. Plus it might just light a fire under my ass to get going on this project and get it finished up!

Still trying to sell some Bronco extra Bronco parts,to Get the supplies needed to get this Bronco painted. Thanks to all who have bought parts from me so far.... especially in the last few weeks.... I am getting closer to having the money I need to get it done.

OP
OP
Stutsmo

Stutsmo

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I got my rear quarters welded on. Also welded the front inner fenders on. I got the rocker panels screwed in ready to weld up.... should get that done hopefully tomorrow. Something kinda cool happened while working on it yesterday..... I decided I like this Bronco a lot more than the other one so I am going to keep it. Bill and I have so much work and time into this Bronco it would be a shame not to enjoy it after we get it done. I have to take the body back off because I need to finish the underside correctly so that is the next step and then after that comes the bodywork.

DRBRONCO69

Chicago Mike
Loc.
Chicago, Illinois
Keep plugging away Jeff. Remember, very time you get out there to work on it, something gets further along. Go to OfficeMax, buy a whiteboard......helps out a great deal to see what you are accomplishing. Sooner or later, you'll erase all of it and what a feeling it is!