• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What would you do?

Idaho logger

Loc.
Post falls
I have a 72 I got from my grandmother she bought new in deer park Washington . The bronco has never been molested in any way I drove it in high school when I got t out school I went to work and you couldn't make a living with a bronco so I left it at my parents farm where my mother drove it to the bus barn at the local school for 10 years then it was parked . My mom covered the seats and dash so it's all in good shape but the paint . I think it looks great I can see the dent my dad put in it I can see where I got to close to the gate when I was 16 I see history. My Mom said I should have it painted but I don't know what to do the bronco has 88000 original miles any parts changed have been done with Oem parts I have all the paper work that came with it new window hang tags manual I have it all. A car guy told me I should keep it a survivor he said by painting it it would lower the value. No rust so what do you think? Thanks

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
I would leave it. only original paint/condition once...
got any pics?

p.s. welcome to the site!

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Your Bronco, do what you want. Why are you concerned about the financial value unless you're selling it? Sounds to me like huge sentimental value that isn't likely to be sold. So, what would make you happiest? Driving as is with the memories or making her like new again? Neither is a "correct" answer but rather what you feel is best.

I have a '67 that I bought from the original owner three years ago. He had a minor restoration done on it back in the early 90s. To me a huge part of the story of it is he drove the snot out of it for twenty-five years then put some TLC into it to bring it back to what it was originally. To me his minor restoration is just one small piece of the coolness of its history.

Would you feel the same in 10-20 years or would you rather look back on your still all original Bronco, dents, dings, and all?

Cool story by the way.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
it is worth more with its original paint. As long as the paint is good enough to protect it from rusting away, I would not paint it.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Make it safe to drive, clean the dust off inside and out, and drive it. Must see pics :)

tmacstickman

Welcome aboard.

Post pics. But, assuming there are no areas of rust to be concerned about, I go by the 20' rule. Detail it. Wash it, buff it and wax it. Step back 20' and if it looks good, than don't touch it. Its great to have that personal history with the Bronco

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Sounds like a good one with lots of family history and those are rare. Don't paint it. You will destroy its originality and a lot of memories.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
we will need pics to make a final decision on paint or no paint :)

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Our Bronco is a family treasure too. Dollar value and show car value are irrelevant.
But...
Are you in love with the existing paint and dings? What would your grandmother say?
I'll bet she would say "re-paint it."
Just do a good job without without modifying it.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
We have a 74 purchased new by my wife's grandmother. We'll never sell it so I'm not worried about value. But I'll never paint it either. Over the years we've had it I did a few bolt on mods - alloy wheels, front disks, booster, grant steering wheel, center console, etc. I have since removed them all and taken it back to 100% stock. (Yes, I removed the front disks and booster!) So if you mod it, keep the old parts.

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, I too have the Bronco I drove when I was 12 years old. It was the shop truck / plow truck from where my father worked. When they were getting rid of it they let me have it for free. Unfortunately it was shot. Beat up, neglected, missing parts, and rusted. So I had to do something. If mine was a survivor I would make it safe, clean it and enjoy it. You can always paint it later, but you can undo certain things. Good luck

rydog1130

Bronco Guru
If the paint is starting to wear through I've known people that get a shot of clear coat shot on it to help preserve what's left. Not sure though how that will affect value though

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
There are a number of examples on here of what a little buffing and a good wax will do to a old paint job. They are only original once.

Someday it may need to be repainted. No need to rush. Make it safe and dependable to drive and enjoy it.

Welcome

squeezer

If you have to ask the question then the answer is obvious...

It takes a lot of $$$ to correctly paint a vehicle. Unless you have a burning desire for brand new paint (Which the nature of the question says you don't) give it a cut/buff and keep it waxed. Enjoy the patina and the story every imperfection tells.

You will always be able to paint it at some point in the future. You will never be able to make it original once the spray gun comes out.