• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

I visited a literal Bronco Graveyard yesterday

JaxLax

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Jacksonville, FL
[before I even start, no do not PM me for contact info. I left him a note asking about whether he'd mind if I shared his contact and I have not heard back yet]

Been looking for a while and I'm always willing to go look if it's within a hour or two.

Ended up getting in touch with someone with a complete 77 (not running) for a number in the low 4 digits :eek:. We talked and he told me that he'd sell me that one and another [deep gulp sound] for spare parts. Great! I'm on my way.

I drove out yesterday and he didn't have 2. He had (by my count) ELEVEN Broncos (amongst a few other vehicles)! As we walked and talked at each one, my heart continued to sink deeper and deeper into my stomach. He'd had them and simply parked them back on his land where they'd been untouched for decades.

The general story/looks you hear about. Interior eaten. Rats nests in the engine bays. Tops and floors and corners with cancer holes as big as fists.
The drivers door on the 77 I was looking for FELL OFF when he was cleaning in anticipating my arrival :cry:

He did have 2 good rolling chassis' in a shop and a body under construction [he'd been working on for years, but his replacements were all flat steel rather than stock stamped] that were available to go with a body, but I'm not sure there was a single body out there that had more than 1 to 3 salvageable panels.

I spent two hours or so with him working in my mind trying to find/combine/build a solid bronco from the parts there, but it still felt like anything and everything was going to be 85% new metal/skinned/cut and replace on the bodies. It felt like throwing $6k at the kits/finding doors/top/hood/grille AND then painting and lining and etc just wasn't going to work no matter how I parsed it in my head.

As I said at the top, if he allows me, I'll post his info here. He does have a lot OF REALLY GOOD PARTS. Please don't let me dissuade you from that fact. If you need a frame/VIN/title, he's got a few for ones he knows will never get rebuilt. He's got multiple engines, transmissions, cases, axles, and the like that are in decent shape. He's got some panels and maybe smaller items (knobs, dashes, seats [need rebuild] and brackets, etc) that are salvageable if you are looking to complete a project.

Below is a taste of what I saw. At times I wanted to cry. When things sound too good to be true, they often are. Looks like I'll be headed to St Augustine to check out another one next week and the search continues.

IMG_0173.jpg

IMG_0174_1.jpg

IMG_0175.jpg

IMG_0176_1.jpg

IMG_0177_1.jpg

IMG_0178_1.jpg

OP
OP
JaxLax

JaxLax

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Jacksonville, FL
Wow, just wow, what a waste.
It was painful.
That blue one at the end was the best body by far, but heavy bondo on the front fenders and the rears were either bent out (when they were unloading it) or cancer ridden in the corners.

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sad!

Many years ago I located a '70 Boss 302 sitting behind a mobile home. Knocked on the door to ask about buying it. "No, I'm going to fix it up". Every time my job took me to that little town (about once or twice a year) I would stop and ask. Went on for several years. Last time I stopped it had rusted so bad that the tail-light assembly had fallen out and was hanging by the wire harness! Still they said no. I never went back.

ScanmanSteven

Bronco Guru
I'm from MO, know of two different locations just like those. One, the guy just won't sell, would rather let them rust away than sell, which is what is happening.

dougsride

broncos

reminds me of a junkyard i found in wyoming while there riding my harley. broncos sitting everywhere. never got to talk to owner and I was back on road next morning. Since I live in N.C. i have never been back . But my wife and I looked on google earth a couple months ago and they are still there. So tempting.

tommyg

Contributor
I never understand --- 11 Broncos means you've got to be a car guy, yet you put them in the yard and let them rot? I watch these shows on Velocity and so forth and see like a Lamborghini Muira (what I think is possibly the most beautiful car of all time), or an original Shelby Cobra sitting covered in cobwebs in someone's garage. How does a car guy let that happen? I just don't get it.

RPM289

reminds me of a junkyard i found in wyoming while there riding my harley. broncos sitting everywhere. never got to talk to owner and I was back on road next morning. Since I live in N.C. i have never been back . But my wife and I looked on google earth a couple months ago and they are still there. So tempting.

Hey a bronco owner near me!!!! I am in Mount Olive, welcome to the bronco world! :)

Attac

Contributor
Many many years ago me and a buddy found out about a bronco graveyard in South ga. It literally looked like a really organized wrecking yard with rows and rows of Broncos. He had other rows of doors and tailgates and hoods. He had all other parts like interior mounding, seats, brackets etc organized in groups. He had over 100 rollers with bodies and prob another 20-30 frames. He was a seller and you could get great stuff but I didn't have the money for this at the time. We got my buddies parts for his interior and left. About 10 yrs ago when I started looking for a bronco to build I tried to find him again. I couldn't remember where we went exactly. Then, Through talking to some other bronco folks around here I found out that he sold everything he had minus the couple he had built. Rumor was it was one of the major bronco vendors. This was before everything was remaned and vendors sold recycled parts. It was said Jeff from JBG or Toms had bought (or really ultimately saved it all). Said it took a month with semis and car haulers to get it all.
The only thing I know for sure was that one person bought it all.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
I think I remember hearing about that Attac. Was that around 1990 or so when it was all sold?