• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer EFI Mass Buy Feeler.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
So you have peaked my interest :D

I have a 98 explorer motor on a storage rack, the 2wd 4R70W that was with the motor is ready for a D20. I have the 98 ECM, the engine harness and the tranny harness. But nothing from the firewall into the rig. Do I need more?

How about O2 sensors? How many will your set-up require? Can I keep EGR? (I do plan on using the Explorer exh manifolds)

The 98 has a return line for fuel, will the Mustang 88 lph in tank pump work for this set-up? I am sure I will have more questions...

Doug

Last edited:

mattt

Bronco Guru
Thanks I was thinking about that and figured Ford didn't make one, but maybe the aftermarket did.

Would the Explorer OBDII stuff be better for a modified 5.8 (aluminum heads, GT40 intake, custom cam, 9.5ish c:r), than the OBDI Mustang EFI?

I was told OBDII stuff had much better custom programming available and better diagnostics. This was all info given to me regarding 5.9L Dodge Magnum motor into a hot rod, not Ford stuff. I hadn't looked into OBDII stuff for my upcoming (not very soon)5.7 swap, mostly because the Mustang swap is so well documented, and I've been very happy after putting it on my 302 already.

Just wondering if its worth thinking about using this on my 5.8, or sticking with a custom tuned Mustang ECU and the EFI/wiring harness that is already in my truck (this would be easier- obviously). Do you do anything with custom tunes on OBDI stuff?
EDIT Of course you do I've been watching Airburs thread at ACB.

Subscribing as I am in the same boat.....only difference is I am already running Mustang OBD1 setup. I had the OBDII explained to me this way....think of OBD1 as a Commodore 64 home computer and the OBDII stuff as Pentium 1....much faster and more reactive tuning on the fly.

My reason for considering this swap even though I am already running is because I see a 4R70W in my Bronco in the future. I'll take my answers off the air ;D

rastiss

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Wichita falls, Texas
I'd be interested in a couple. How much of the harness would you need? I have 11k mile 97 5.0 on a stand with engine and pcm harness. No chassis harness or o2 harness.

TTTGOWYO

Tyler T. - EB Obsessed
Loc.
Louisville
Subscribed. This sounds like a good resource to help get EFI done easily. I have been sloooowly sourcing parts and only have a 1996 Exploer upper and lower intake and throttle body. I also found an A9p ECM. Just need to find fuel rails, injectors, wiring harness etc..

AaronWelch

Loc.
Atascocita, TX.
ok I know I am a little dense some times but I have not been able to find a thread with exactly what is needed to do an EFI conversion. I would love to but dont want to waste my money or time getting the wrong parts. Not trying to hijack this tread, but I think some of us newer owners could use a nudge in the right direction. thanks for the help.

maup

Subscribed. Definitely interested...I have a 99 explorer motor waiting for me to rebuild, think I have all of the injector harness and I might have the 02 harness, doubt I have more than that for wiring, and I know I don't have the computer...

Would be hooking up to the original 3spd column shift or possibly a NV3550 depending on timetable...Not sure what that does to the harness though...

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
This will save a ton of money for us. A engine harness is 500, a used computer is 200, and a bauman controller is 500 more. We will come out 700 ahead and be OBD 2.

OP
OP
EFI Guy

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
This will save a ton of money for us. A engine harness is 500, a used computer is 200, and a bauman controller is 500 more. We will come out 700 ahead and be OBD 2.

That's the idea behind it. ;)

Let me see if I can get some questioned answered here.

In terms of processing power, the early Mustang stuff runs at 12mhz and has a single bank of memory. OBD2 runs anywhere between 18-27mhz and has 4 banks of memory.

The Explorer setup also has other benefits, such as a no distributor to worry about timing correctly or wearing out. There is also the ability to pull codes easily and cheaply, not to mention the capability to monitor actual engine data. Let’s face it, pulling flash codes isn’t any fun, and the ability to monitor data isn’t cheap on the Mustang stuff.

This package is really meant for people using the stock Explorer motor and stock electronics. I can make it work with a mild 351 as well. It's not geared towards the high HP junkies with big heads, cams, injectors, and MAFs. It would be very difficult to mail order a tune for something like that, but it is possible. If you have something like that PM me and we'll see what we can do to get you going.

O2 sensors: You will need to run the 2 front O2 sensors, I can delete the rears from your tune and harness.

EGR: It can be kept, and is recommended. Most people claim that EGR actually increases gas mileage. You will need to use a VSS for it to operate. But it can be removed safely.

VSS: With the newest version of my tuning software it looks like it can be removed safely. I have a PCM in the mail to one of our members now that has it removed. We should have feedback on this soon. If you are keeping EGR or the 4r70w you should use a VSS. Dana 20 folks can use the common Mustang type of VSS. Atlas folks will need to get the harder to find in-line VSS.

Harness: The engine harness is a must for obvious reasons. 4r70w users must have the transmission sub harness. This is good to have anyway as I can use the O2 plugs and OSS plug to add to your engine harness. If you don't have it and are using a c4-c6 etc, I can still source the connectors cheaply and add them. Like this: (note this harness is not complete).

1-1.jpg

I will also need the firewall harness that connects to the engine harness. I don't need the entire thing but get as much length as you can get from the engine bulkhead connector and cut off the rest. If you have a donor vehicle get the OBD2 plug with as much length as possible as well. Like this:
3.jpg

I think that answers most of the questions, I'll see about putting together a write up soon.

Roger

Who are we dealing with, is your name really EFI Guy? It's nice to know where your money is going. Thanks

Ok guys, this will be the official feeler thread to set up an Explorer EFI mass buy.

I see that Explorer 5.0 swaps are becoming very popular, but most people seem to use the Fox Mustang electronics. While this works well, it adds to the cost because you then have to source the Mustang electronics and distributor, which are becoming pricey and harder to find. Add to that the cost of an aftermarket transmission controller if you want to run the 4R70W.

I aim to change all of that by offering an A-Ford-able solution to everyone that has access to a donor Explorer vehicle, and even those that don’t. I have been working with the vendor of my tuning software in an effort to reduce my costs and pass the savings on to my Bronco brothers. We have come to an agreement that will lower the cost of my package by $100 if I do 5 at a time. That sounds like the perfect reason to setup a mass buy to me.

The package that I will be offering includes re-working your current Explorer harness, and re-flashing your current Explorer PCM to meet your needs. I will work with each of you individually to build a truly custom harness to fit your rig. This will include a small fuse box and the needed relays to make this a stand-alone system. I can also offer the harness and PCM to those that don’t have them at a very reasonable price as they become available.

Cost: $450 + shipping for those of you that are part of the mass buy, however I can’t offer it this cheap on an individual basis. For those of you that need the harness or PCM, add $80 each or $150 for both. Shipping costs will vary depending on which method you would prefer and how much you would like your package insured for. If this mass buy is successful I will continue offering it in groups of 5 to keep costs down.

Time line: It typically takes me 2 weeks to build each harness because I solder and heat shrink all splices, re-wrap the entire harness, and label all connections. I also have a day job that I must report to. Anyone that wishes to commit to the buy is welcome to send me their harness ahead of time and I’ll get started on it to reduce delay.

Deadline: I don’t have a deadline set for the first batch yet. I’m hoping for feedback from the rest of you. If you are interested, please post up with a time frame that works for you. As soon as we have 5 people committed for the same time frame I’ll figure out a deadline for payment.

Payment: I really prefer a Postal money order. However, I realize that some of you may be building rigs on credit cards. My only option for credit cards is Paypal at the moment. While a really don’t like Paypal, I will accept if for those of you that must use it.

I think that about covers the needed info. If you are interested, please post up. If you have general questions, please ask them here. If you have very specific questions that will only apply to your setup feel free to PM me.

Thanks guys.

OP
OP
EFI Guy

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
Who are we dealing with, is your name really EFI Guy? It's nice to know where your money is going. Thanks

Hi Roger. My name is Garry.

I assume you would like to "know where the money is going" because a new vendor pops up and offers a mass buy. I respect that.

I'll tell you a bit about myself since I'm new to the board, and have only met a few of you guys. Maybe I'll have a customer or two chime in to say I'm not some Nigerian scammer, but I don't expect anyone to put their name on the line for me.

I did a harness for a member on here that is a member on another 4x4 forum that I'm part of. After showing his harness on here I started getting e-mails from other members here wanting theirs done as well. Because of the interest in my work from some of you folks, and wanting to tackle an EB for my next project, (I've been hoarding parts for a build for a while now) I figured I'd join up. I've learned quite a bit about EBs from you guys and have been trying to share my knowledge of EFI with the rest of you. I have been a die hard Ford fanatic since I was little. I think my dad may have brain washed it in to me. I have 2 Mustangs, an old Ford p/u and an 01 Explorer. I'm probably going to sacrifice my Mach 1 to get in to the saddle of an EB.

I started getting into tuning years ago with the Fox Mustang stuff. I still run a Fox to this day. I have been helping friends and locals with theirs for quite some time. It's a hobby more than anything, but I figured I might as well use my talent and turn this in to a business. The Vendor pricing is very fair here, and the brotherhood of you folks helping each other out was big draw to me.

I guess, I'm sort of a nerd when it comes to wiring and computers. Most people do crosswords or watch TV to pass the time, I enjoy the challenge of this as it keeps my brain active. So to answer where the money is going....

Some super nerdy guy that really loves Fords, is a mechanic by day, and is slowly turning a hobby / passion in to a business.

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
WILL be watching, 351 efi with 4r70w....4.56's basically stock motor

airbur

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Castle Pines, CO
Garry knows his stuff. My 427W would not be drivable had it not been for Garry's EFI tuning ability. He has it purring like a kitten. He's a member of our local club Alpine Classic Broncos and shares his knowledge there as well.

While I'm using the Quarterhorse for my system, I have no doubt that Garry can reprogram chips like the best of them.

OP
OP
EFI Guy

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
Garry knows his stuff. My 427W would not be drivable had it not been for Garry's EFI tuning ability. He has it purring like a kitten. He's a member of our local club Alpine Classic Broncos and shares his knowledge there as well.

While I'm using the Quarterhorse for my system, I have no doubt that Garry can reprogram chips like the best of them.

Thanks for the kind words Eric.

Feedback like that is more valuable to me and my biz than any short term profit.

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
Thanks for the kind words Eric.

Feedback like that is more valuable to me and my biz than any short term profit.

Feed back, like that amazing cleanup of the rats nest that was my factory 95 harness? That was a miracle.