• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Auto or 4 Speed?

FonksBronc

Hi all, I Have taken over somebody else’s bronco project, and they swapped out the auto transmission for a 435. Should I switch it back to auto or keep with the four-speed? Why would somebody do this?
Thanks!

75Bronc

Keep the NP435 in my opinion. I switched from a C4 auto to a ZF 5 speed.

Swapping in the NP435 is a great, cheap option to get a low crawl gear for offroad. They are also bullet proof, nothing to go wrong on the trail. They shift a little slow and truck like, but a great, simple, bullet proof transmission.

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Depends on what you like. I have a very nice modified '66 with manual transmission and I enjoy it a lot. But I've also got a much rougher, '74 with no doors, no top, etc and an automatic. Just to drive on the street I'd have to say I almost enjoy it more, just put it in drive and cruise around! What are your plans for how it will be used when you are done?

OP
OP
F

FonksBronc

It will mostly just be a Cruiser. I don’t mind manuals as it gives you that old school feel.

OP
OP
F

FonksBronc

It will mostly just be a Cruiser. I don’t mind manuals as it gives you that old school feel.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
As stated, personal preference.

An auto is the easy way out. It does everything fine but nothing great. It is more sensitive to poor gearing choices.

The 435 will give you a true truck feel. Very drivable. rock solid.

I have done a 435 to 4R70W, but that was because I wanted to play on the rocks. That is where an auto really shines. But I needed the overdrive to compensate for the lower gearing that was needed to get the auto to have enough gear in it.

PaveBronco

I went from 435 to C4, as the truck went from mostly off road to mostly on road, not by choice...had to move..
Auto on the street is so easy, but if you keep the 435 a gear banger is a must, will tighten up the shifts.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
The 435 has the granny 1st. If it's for mostly cruising go auto or swap in a 5spd if you want the stick.

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
As others have said depends on personal choice and how you are going to use the truck. I went from a 3 speed to a NP 435 in my 67 and I did it for the off roading. The NP-435 is awesome for crawling in 1st gear. I don't mind it on the street, it shifts like a truck, the long shifter is kind of funny but I don't mind.
If I was building a truck for the street only I would have an auto.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Hi all, I Have taken over somebody else’s bronco project, and they swapped out the auto transmission for a 435. Should I switch it back to auto or keep with the four-speed? Why would somebody do this?
Thanks!

The 435 shouldn't be considered a four speed.
It's more like a three speed with a granny gear.
It's a proven trail tranny.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...Why would somebody do this?

Because for almost 40 years the NP435 was THE transmission that everybody wished that Ford had put in the Bronco. But that was when almost everybody that bought a Bronco intended to take the time to go four-wheeling as often as time would allow. Not gaining any gears on top, but getting the slow gear was cool, and made up for crappy differential gearing when going with larger tires.
Some people even used first/low gear in the 435 on the street, because their other gearing was so bad for the tire size.

There were the toploader 4-speed street manuals, but they were few and far between and when found the street rod/hot rod crowd would snap them up and pay big bucks for them. Way out of the realm of most EB owners.
Never really took off because of the tall first gear and no overdrive for the money. Kind of cool to have good shifting characteristics, but spending all that dough and going through the motions to not end up with a low first gear was not in the cards for most EB owners.
The adapters have not been readily available for years, because not that many were sold even when Toploaders were considered a score.

Then the 5-speeds out of '80's Mustangs became a popular thing. For about a week...
They were not considered very strong, were a little long and finicky to make fit into the Bronco packaging for minimal gain. Overdrive wasn't as big a thing just then as the low first was, but it was gaining ground. And while smooth shifting, had horridly tall first gears. The opposite of what most people wanted with their Broncos.

It wasn't until the NV4500 became a thing that we started believing that there was light at the end of the transmission tunnel again. You could get your granny gear AND an overdrive, with the usual three speeds in the middle. And it was strong and almost as reliable as the NP435. Though never as inexpensive as one unfortunately.
And they were physically huge for the benefit though. An NP fit like a glove almost, while an NV needed lots of tweaking and adapting (money) to make fit. And even then, at such a more recent time, not everybody was on the whole "let's fabricate a new vehicle to fit around the transmission" kind of work ethic. A few clever individuals were ahead of the curve there (as always), but most of the masses just wanted a bolt-in and go kind of thing.

Enter the NV3550 and now the AX15 and bingo! Relatively strong, not a super low first gear, but definitely a better first gear than stock, and an overdrive all in a small-ish package. Still expensive, but by then folks were pouring money into their Broncos like there was no tomorrow.
And by then the granny low wasn't as needed as an overdrive, and more were spending the money on differential gear changes anyway. Or low gears in the transfer case. Many Atlas' were sold in this period. Costing more for just the gearbox than most EB's cost the current owner!

There were others thrown into the mix of course. ZF5's out of Fords for example, but relatively unknown compared to the others, and again, very large, so needing more work even if fewer adapters.
So those were some of the highlights.

Now things are coming around to a different type of owner and use and expectation. But for those last 40-50 years, lots of previous owners had lots of different wants and needs. Maybe they had a need for an off-road rig, or maybe just had a free NP laying around.
Since you like old-school feel and may not have a wide range of needs for the Bronco, an NP with a GearBanger shifter would certainly be fun. For a time...
But it's yours already, and that counts for a lot perhaps.

You would probably be happier with a newer manual, or an automatic from the sound of your intended use. But if the NP is already there and you want to move on, nothing wrong with keeping the old strong and reliable in there.
For now at least.

Might ultimately come down to what gearing is in your differential and what tire size you will use when driving on the street. An overdrive might not even be compatible with what you have. Then again, if the PO installed 4.88's and you're wanting to run 31" tires, you would be ahead of the game by changing to an overdrive instead of changing the differential gears.

Even with a good existing unit, there always seem to be lots of choices and options!

Paul

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
... WOW I CAN'T BELIEVE HE CALLED IT A TERRIBLE TRANS ..To me it's the best trans every made. Strongest & Cheapest. . It has it's place but it's a great strong trans for sure. I eve have it behind my DIESEL MOTOR.
i WOULD NOT WANT IT iF i HAD A TRUE MAUL Queen .

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Where are you located? My advice is to find some Bronco folks nearby and drive a few and see how you like the different transmissions. If you have say 10 Broncos nearby you'll probably have at least 1 local with aN NP435 and another with an NV3550, NV4550 or ZF. And another with an auto with overdrive. Drive them all and see which you like. Then decide what you want to do with your Bronco. As said, it's all personal preference. My preferences are:

Stock restoration - C4
Modified, mostly street - NV3550, NV4550 or ZF (fun to drive!, feels more "modern") or auto with overdrive
More offload - NP435 (good for mild to moderate offload - drives like a truck. Flame suit on!)
Rock crawling - C4 with reverse pattern manual valve body, doubler or Atlas

There is not just 1 solution that is "best" for everyone.

BruceAH

Loc.
Apple Valley
As others have said, the 435 is a terrific/tough transmission (had one in an '86 F-150). Again, it's basically a fully-synchronized 3 speed with a super low granny gear. As I recall, reverse is also low...which can be either a plus (good backward pulling) or a minus (slow back-up speed), but much preferred over an automatic!

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Where are you located? My advice is to find some Bronco folks nearby and drive a few and see how you like the different transmissions. If you have say 10 Broncos nearby you'll probably have at least 1 local with aN NP435 and another with an NV3550, NV4550 or ZF. And another with an auto with overdrive. Drive them all and see which you like. Then decide what you want to do with your Bronco. As said, it's all personal preference. My preferences are:

Stock restoration - C4
Modified, mostly street - NV3550, NV4550 or ZF (fun to drive!, feels more "modern") or auto with overdrive
More offload - NP435 (good for mild to moderate offload - drives like a truck. Flame suit on!)
Rock crawling - C4 with reverse pattern manual valve body, doubler or Atlas

There is not just 1 solution that is "best" for everyone.

How I would list them:

Stock: C4 (or 3 speed)
Modified street: M5OD or NV3550
Off-road*: ZF5, NV4500 or NP435

* NO trailer to the trailhead.
If you need to have a more extreme rock crawler that you haul on a trailer build a tube buggy.

Howard2x4x4

Contributor
Bronco Guru
For a street-mostly Bronco, big nix on the np435, would LOVE a toploader, had to settle for a C4